What's new

DRDO Successfully Conducts Static Testing of Large Solid Rocket Motor

fsayed

Reaction score
Country
India
@nair @proud_indian @Roybot @jbgt90 @Sergi @Water Car Engineer @dadeechi @kurup @Rain Man @kaykay @Abingdonboy @SR-91 @nang2 @Stephen Cohen @anant_s

@jbgt90 @ranjeet @4GTejasBVR @The_Showstopper @guest11 @ranjeet

@GURU DUTT @Levina

A large case-bonded rocket motor of 12 T class was static tested successfully earlier at Advanced Centre for Energetic Materials (ACEM), Nasik. The composite case rocket motor was designed and realised indigenously and belongs to the Mark III version. The main objective of the static test was to validate the design for optimised EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (M-class) rubber) insulation where a reduction of 80 kg was carried out compared to the Mark I version, and to evaluate the augmentation factors. The motor has a submerged nozzle with provision for actuation, which is also realised indigenously.

The 12 T class solid rocket motor is one of the largest rocket motors with EPDM liner in a composite casing being processed in India. The propellant is based on hydroxyl terminated polybutadiene (HTPB)—Ammonium Perchlorate (AP)—Aluminium (Al)-based composition. The complete process technology for realisation of the solid rocket motor has been developed and matured at ACEM. The processing involves critical steps such as mixing of propellant in multiple-bowl program, viscosity management during the long casting period, confinement based pressure curing without application of inert gas etc. Compliance with stringent quality requirements ensured a defect free propellant grain as revealed by the non-destructive inspection.

The static testing of motor involved data acquisition of 34 channels for temperature, 27 channels for strain, 2 channels for thrust, 4 channels for pressure in addition to instrumentation for displacement, pyro currents, actuator signals and high speed videography. The data were recorded and displayed in real time along with the prediction curve. Pressure-time and thrust-time profiles matched the prediction data.

The motor produced maximum thrust of approx. 500 kN and maximum pressure of 7.25 MPa and the test duration was 74.4 seconds. Strain, temperature and displacements were within the test specifications. Based on the data recorded, the optimised insulation thickness was validated.
http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2017/08/drdo-successfully-conducts-static.html?m=1

The motor has a submerged nozzle with provision for actuation

Hmm.......

I see a submerged nozzle here.

slbm.jpg

Do we see any submerged nozzles here ?

image.jpg

pic of earlier test...

pic.JPG

Wow 500kn thrust may be it will be used for Agni6

Poor video commentary:

It says "don't forgot to subscribe & share"
Instead of the "word" forget.

Its a synthesized text to speech version made by a single individual who made a grammatical mistake it seems.

Probably the first stage of Agni-1P.

Test location: DRDO facility in Ojhar, Nashik.
static.PNG

The main objective of the static test was to validate the design for optimised EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (M-class) rubber) insulation where a reduction of 80 kg was carried out compared to the Mark I version.
@HariPrasad A little hint of how much actual mass reduction looks like.

Video is Nasa copy paste pics and Microsoft sound.
If the one pic posted is actually of DRDO test, it seems to be the 1.3-1.4 Meter diameter range which is used on K-4

If the one pic posted is actually of DRDO test, it seems to be the 1.3-1.4 Meter diameter range which is used on K-4

Pic is in post #4

The total launch weight of Agni I is 12 tonne, and this one has a propellent loading of 12 tonnes. I am not sure about that.

little hint of how much actual mass reduction looks like.

I understand what you're trying to say but your example is all wrong. They are talking about reducing the weight of insulation, not the inert mass of the case itself.

Hmm.......

slbm.jpg

image.jpg

pic of earlier test...

View attachment 416677
@The Deterrent
They are actually developing ester based solid propellants similar to the ones used on Trident. I dont know the in-depth details as I am not into propulsions. Also this last pic is from DRDO load cell and clearly seems to be of K-5 SLBM. It looks more like SLBM than any surface launched missile.
PS- the video is indeed fraud and just made up with random pics, however the real test pic lies in post #4.

This is not for Agni-6 for sure. Agni-6 is already developed and also tested I guess if we take note of development of Agni-V which took only 4 years.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/indi...nge-agni-6-slbm-with-mirv.109355/#post1765204
Hmm.......

slbm.jpg

image.jpg

pic of earlier test...

View attachment 416677
as per u gslv mk3 submerged nozzle are used for SLBM so in that way may b these motor will used for k6 or k5 version of SLBM

The total launch weight of Agni I is 12 tonne, and this one has a propellent loading of 12 tonnes. I am not sure about that.
@The Deterrent
They are actually developing ester based solid propellants similar to the ones used on Trident. I dont know the in-depth details as I am not into propulsions. Also this last pic is from DRDO load cell and clearly seems to be of K-5 SLBM. It looks more like SLBM than any surface launched missile.
PS- the video is indeed fraud and just made up with random pics, however the real test pic lies in post #4.
Oh I thought the system in the video was being referred to. Because it didn't have the proportions of the 2m diameter missiles.
Then most probably its K-5's motor.
I understand what you're trying to say but your example is all wrong. They are talking about reducing the weight of insulation, not the inert mass of the case itself.
May be, but I think overall mass reduction of the motor is being referred to here. The propellant is still more or less the same (HTBP), and the composite casing has been already developed.

Oh I thought the system in the video was being referred to. Because it didn't have the proportions of the 2m diameter missiles.
Then most probably its K-5's motor.
Even I doubt if it is a 2m dia. Maybe we would have to put shaheen missile's expertise to test! But this is definitely a SLBM.
Hi @The Deterrent
Also if you notice carefully, the divergence losses in this missile is of lower than Agni signifying perhaps bell-nozzle or Rao-nozzle. What is your take on divergence losses of various Pakistani strategic missiles particularly those utilizing standard 1.4m dia? The spread towards the rear after the nozzle in lets say Shaheen-3 is higher than this missile on load cell.

Last edited:
@nair @proud_indian @Roybot @jbgt90 @Sergi @Water Car Engineer @dadeechi @kurup @Rain Man @kaykay @Abingdonboy @SR-91 @nang2 @Stephen Cohen @anant_s

@jbgt90 @ranjeet @4GTejasBVR @The_Showstopper @guest11 @ranjeet

@GURU DUTT @Levina

A large case-bonded rocket motor of 12 T class was static tested successfully earlier at Advanced Centre for Energetic Materials (ACEM), Nasik. The composite case rocket motor was designed and realised indigenously and belongs to the Mark III version. The main objective of the static test was to validate the design for optimised EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (M-class) rubber) insulation where a reduction of 80 kg was carried out compared to the Mark I version, and to evaluate the augmentation factors. The motor has a submerged nozzle with provision for actuation, which is also realised indigenously.

The 12 T class solid rocket motor is one of the largest rocket motors with EPDM liner in a composite casing being processed in India. The propellant is based on hydroxyl terminated polybutadiene (HTPB)—Ammonium Perchlorate (AP)—Aluminium (Al)-based composition. The complete process technology for realisation of the solid rocket motor has been developed and matured at ACEM. The processing involves critical steps such as mixing of propellant in multiple-bowl program, viscosity management during the long casting period, confinement based pressure curing without application of inert gas etc. Compliance with stringent quality requirements ensured a defect free propellant grain as revealed by the non-destructive inspection.

The static testing of motor involved data acquisition of 34 channels for temperature, 27 channels for strain, 2 channels for thrust, 4 channels for pressure in addition to instrumentation for displacement, pyro currents, actuator signals and high speed videography. The data were recorded and displayed in real time along with the prediction curve. Pressure-time and thrust-time profiles matched the prediction data.

The motor produced maximum thrust of approx. 500 kN and maximum pressure of 7.25 MPa and the test duration was 74.4 seconds. Strain, temperature and displacements were within the test specifications. Based on the data recorded, the optimised insulation thickness was validated.
http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2017/0

Ya. Actually when I read the title, first thing I had in mind was whether it is composite motor or not as making these sort of motor is nothing special for India. New technology and innovation must come with every new development. I am happy that it is coming. Now the next in line should be all composite A5 and A6. 80 kg weight reduction is a very good number if this motor is going to be used in upper stage.

Test location: DRDO facility in Ojhar, Nashik.
View attachment 416793

Back
Top Bottom