What's new

Draft MoU on Indo-Bangla Defence cooperation

I think India agreed to sign the deals to counter Chinese influence. Hasina is doing good by playing both sides one by one. I don't see any major defense purchase happening from India. Not because Indian equipment are bad but because there are high amount of military politics involved in those purchases.

Big things(like subs, fighter planes) if they come, they will come from China or Russia.
How can India counter Chinese influence on us? Especially on our military with 500million dollar military loan! When we are a major Chinese weapon buyer with access in the top of line Chinese weapons!

How can India counter Chinese influence on us? Especially on our military with 500million dollar military loan! When we are a major Chinese weapon buyer with access in the top of line Chinese weapons!
Maybe they can't. But they are still trying....

Maybe they can't. But they are still trying....
They shall concentrate on weapon design and development, rather than shove others something they don't want. If India can provide anything decent, I think BD might consider it as your relationship is fine.

Confusion sets in as Bangladesh official says 36 deals were signed with India
bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2017/04/08/confusion-sets-in-as-bangladesh-official-says-36-deals-were-signed-with-india
Sumon Mahbub from New Delhi, bdnews24.com

Published: 2017-04-08 22:28:52.0 BdST Updated: 2017-04-09 00:23:39.0 BdST

Hours after the Indian Ministry of External Affairs' announcement that 22 agreements and memoranda of understanding have been signed, Bangladesh's Foreign Secretary Shahidul Haque has put the number at 36, creating confusion.
Gopal Bagley, spokesman for India's Ministry of External Affairs, earlier tweeted on Saturday afternoon: "The two leaders witness exchange of 4 agreements/MoUs out of 22 signed."

The ministry also published a list of the 22 deals on its website.

But the joint statement released by the two countries says 34 bilateral documents, including business documents, are being signed, exchanged, adopted and handed over during the visit.

Confusion thickened after Haque told the media in New Delhi Saturday evening that 36 MoUs, agreements and standard operation procedures (SOPs) were signed between the two countries.

When Indian reporters asked Haque about the conflicting numbers, he advised them to contact the Indian Ministry of External Affairs.
Asked what the 36 deals were all about, a smiling Haque said, "We are still counting the deals."

About the pact on India’s $500 million loans to Bangladesh for defence procurement, Haque claimed that Bangladesh was not bound to buy military hardware only from India under the deal.

Three other MoUs on defence cooperation were also signed. "Training, raising capabilities and cooperation - these things are there (in the MoUs),” said Haque.

About the one-on-one meeting between Hasina and Modi, the foreign secretary said, "The two leaders held the meeting for 30 minutes. Though I was not there, I've heard that they discussed many important issues in a friendly environment."

In the bilateral meeting, Modi assured Hasina of India's support in Bangladesh's demand for global recognition of Genocide Day on Mar 25.

They also discussed connectivity between Bangladesh, India, Myanmar and Thailand.

After the meeting, they witnessed the signing of the deals, unveiled the Hindi translation of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman's 'The Unfinished Memoirs', and inaugurated a road in New Delhi renamed after Bangabandhu.

Then Hasina joined a ceremonial luncheon hosted by Modi.

In the afternoon, they attended a programme to honour the Indian soldiers who died in Bangladesh's Liberation War.

Hasina then called on Indian Vice-President Hamid Ansari at his residence.

Foreign Secretary Haque said Hasina and Ansari discussed 'some other issues' in addition to the day's other programmes, which 'could not be disclosed'.

=================
A political gimmick played by Modi to fool Indians where SHW aided. BD has given up nothing, lost nothing. But Modi has received ammo to breast-thump with general elections round the corner.

Man, I have never seen such a big mouth like this @Nilgiri , are you seriously comparing India with China?

You don't need to visit Bangladesh, just open facebook and join a Bangladeshi page or group and see how Bangladeshis perceive India. You won't find a single Bangladeshi who's anti-China but you could hardly find someone who's not anti-India. Heck, a cricket match between Bangladesh and India exposes all.

I agree on Hasina's emotional attachment with India but that's mainly with the Congress leaders. In fact, she has recently blamed the former BJP govt. of supporting BNP over AL in the 2001 elections. In the current Indian leadership, only Pranab Mukherji is close to her but he's just a ceremonial president with no power. Hasina's latest state visit to India is the first to the country in the last 7 years while she has paid 3 state visits to China in the same period, shows who she's aligned with.

About military relations, the less said the better. Just go through how frequently Bangladeshi and Chinese military officials visit each other. On the other hand, Bangladeshi military officials are so reluctant to visit India that you have to sign a MoU to exchange delegations. And I'm not even taking the military purchase into account, India is nowhere in the radar here.

Man, I have never seen such a big mouth like this @Nilgiri , are you seriously comparing India with China?
Are there any other two who are competing against each other in Bangladesh?

Your personal hatred gave you blind eye.

Are there any other two who are competing against each other in Bangladesh?

Your personal hatred gave you blind eye.
I stay in this forum for 7years. Usually I see Indian members talk to Bangladeshis in very disrespectful way or authoritative tones. Can you deny it?

You think those Bagladeshies ragtag own you one and live under your mercy, aren't you?

Mamta meet SHW. Subject Teesta. Result ZERO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom