What's new

Dr.Aafia and Faisal Shazad are not Pakistan's Heroes

seekers

Reaction score
The Faisal Shahzad case is a Western conspiracy, and I’m an idiot for not believing it.

Why am I the idiot? Because when a US district judge passed the final sentence on the 31-year-old, condemning him to a lifetime imprisonment, I for one was glad that such a menace to society will stay behind bars until he dies.

Somehow, I know that if I say this to my fellow Pakistanis, there will be little, if any, acquiescence. Mostly, I will get expressions of bemusement or disgust, as if I’ve uttered a swear word. That will be followed by long sermons on how the entire Faisal Shahzad debacle was a case of an innocent Pakistani boy being targeted by the West to give Muslims a bad name and extend the immoral war on terror and that opinions like mine are exactly what America wants to achieve.

Yeah, it’s definitely a conspiracy, even though he has admitted his guilt from the start. Even though there are videos of him declaring war against the West. Even though he met TTP Chief Hakimullah Mehsud personally and was caught on tape doing so. Even though his parting words to the judge as he left were, “Brace yourselves, because the war with Muslims has just begun. Consider me the first droplet of the blood that will follow.”

But yeah, it’s all a conspiracy, and I’m an idiot for not believing it.

It is the same attitude that I see towards the public’s perception of neuroscientist Dr Aafia Siddiqi, or, as she is commonly called in Pakistan, “qaum ki beti.” Her capture, incarceration and sentencing have been mired by human rights violations, maltreatment and injustice and for that I am sympathetic towards her. But somewhere along the line, she became an emblem of resistance against the brutal Americans, a rallying cry for the cruelty suffered by innocent Muslims by the imperialist swine, and a champion for the cause of Islam and indeed Pakistan, as was exemplified by a recent walkout of parliamentarians at the National Assembly.

But, wait a minute. Where did all this come from? Dr Aafia Siddiqui did not do anything to become the projection of what she is touted to be, but as word of her capture became news, the country’s ardent ‘patriots’ suddenly transformed her into a pan-Islamic super heroine!

Does anyone even care that there are some serious concerns over Dr Aafia’s alleged ties to Al-Qaeda, as confessed by 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammad? Does anyone care that between 2003 and 2008, she disappeared from the radar, without any explanation? That perhaps behind her pro-Muslim rantings in New York, there may be a hidden extremist agenda?

That may well be the case. But I fail to see such introspection on part of our fellow countrymen. And whenever people have mustered the courage to do so, they are made to regret their decision, because when they do, as PMLQ MNA Marvi Memon found out, the reaction is just explosive. Once again the sermons follow, placing the US as once again the harbinger of chaos and doom, which arrested and tortured an innocent Pakistani to once again subvert our nation under the throes of its might. And we as Pakistanis must rally to her cause. She is the “qaum ki beti” after all.

Personifying mortals as mythological figures can only be called what I refer to as “pseudo-patriotism”. A nation, with its image and power battered, clamouring for its pride, tries to find a way out when it is confronted with an external threat. New heroes and heroines are created, to take up the mantle where others have failed. It does not matter how flawed these figures are, but the fact that they are Pakistanis fighting “external oppression” is in itself a feat.

The US is seen as the external oppressor and the war on terror as its instrument of oppression. But no one wonders whether the militants that the Americans are fighting may be the same ones that are creating chaos and anarchy here at home. It explains why everyone is quick to point out about the civilian casualties in the CIA conducted drone strikes, but no one questions whether perhaps some of those people actually deserved to die. It showcases how people like Aafia Siddiqui or Faisal Shahzad are projected as the new face of pan-Islamism falling prey to Western conspiracies, but yet will never be subject to the same scrutiny that is reserved for the West.

For a nation that puts its leaders through a baptism of fire every time there’s a political scandal, we sure fail to apply the same standards to ourselves.

But then again it’s all a conspiracy and I’m an idiot for not believing it.

Dr Aafia, Faisal Shahzad are not Pakistan’s heroes – The Express Tribune Blog

It never ends!!!

Two wrongs dont make a right... These people are scumbags and the CIA drone operators are even worse... The only difference is that CIA scumbags are not considered terrorists... and yes... they operate with permission of the USA and Pakistan...

This is a good article. Pakistanis suffer the most when such people carry out terrorist acts. If Pakistanis do not condemn such people forcefully, it acts as inspiration for more terrorists down the line, which will further damage Pakistan's reputation and make life even more difficult for non resident Pakistanis!

The Faisal Shahzad case is a Western conspiracy, and I’m an idiot for not believing it.

Why am I the idiot? Because when a US district judge passed the final sentence on the 31-year-old, condemning him to a lifetime imprisonment, I for one was glad that such a menace to society will stay behind bars until he dies.

Somehow, I know that if I say this to my fellow Pakistanis, there will be little, if any, acquiescence. Mostly, I will get expressions of bemusement or disgust, as if I’ve uttered a swear word. That will be followed by long sermons on how the entire Faisal Shahzad debacle was a case of an innocent Pakistani boy being targeted by the West to give Muslims a bad name and extend the immoral war on terror and that opinions like mine are exactly what America wants to achieve.

Yeah, it’s definitely a conspiracy, even though he has admitted his guilt from the start. Even though there are videos of him declaring war against the West. Even though he met TTP Chief Hakimullah Mehsud personally and was caught on tape doing so. Even though his parting words to the judge as he left were, “Brace yourselves, because the war with Muslims has just begun. Consider me the first droplet of the blood that will follow.”

But yeah, it’s all a conspiracy, and I’m an idiot for not believing it.

It is the same attitude that I see towards the public’s perception of neuroscientist Dr Aafia Siddiqi, or, as she is commonly called in Pakistan, “qaum ki beti.” Her capture, incarceration and sentencing have been mired by human rights violations, maltreatment and injustice and for that I am sympathetic towards her. But somewhere along the line, she became an emblem of resistance against the brutal Americans, a rallying cry for the cruelty suffered by innocent Muslims by the imperialist swine, and a champion for the cause of Islam and indeed Pakistan, as was exemplified by a recent walkout of parliamentarians at the National Assembly.

But, wait a minute. Where did all this come from? Dr Aafia Siddiqui did not do anything to become the projection of what she is touted to be, but as word of her capture became news, the country’s ardent ‘patriots’ suddenly transformed her into a pan-Islamic super heroine!

Does anyone even care that there are some serious concerns over Dr Aafia’s alleged ties to Al-Qaeda, as confessed by 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammad? Does anyone care that between 2003 and 2008, she disappeared from the radar, without any explanation? That perhaps behind her pro-Muslim rantings in New York, there may be a hidden extremist agenda?

That may well be the case. But I fail to see such introspection on part of our fellow countrymen. And whenever people have mustered the courage to do so, they are made to regret their decision, because when they do, as PMLQ MNA Marvi Memon found out, the reaction is just explosive. Once again the sermons follow, placing the US as once again the harbinger of chaos and doom, which arrested and tortured an innocent Pakistani to once again subvert our nation under the throes of its might. And we as Pakistanis must rally to her cause. She is the “qaum ki beti” after all.

Personifying mortals as mythological figures can only be called what I refer to as “pseudo-patriotism”. A nation, with its image and power battered, clamouring for its pride, tries to find a way out when it is confronted with an external threat. New heroes and heroines are created, to take up the mantle where others have failed. It does not matter how flawed these figures are, but the fact that they are Pakistanis fighting “external oppression” is in itself a feat.

The US is seen as the external oppressor and the war on terror as its instrument of oppression. But no one wonders whether the militants that the Americans are fighting may be the same ones that are creating chaos and anarchy here at home. It explains why everyone is quick to point out about the civilian casualties in the CIA conducted drone strikes, but no one questions whether perhaps some of those people actually deserved to die. It showcases how people like Aafia Siddiqui or Faisal Shahzad are projected as the new face of pan-Islamism falling prey to Western conspiracies, but yet will never be subject to the same scrutiny that is reserved for the West.

For a nation that puts its leaders through a baptism of fire every time there’s a political scandal, we sure fail to apply the same standards to ourselves.

But then again it’s all a conspiracy and I’m an idiot for not believing it.

Dr Aafia, Faisal Shahzad are not Pakistan’s heroes – The Express Tribune Blog

Well faisal shaizad is a culprit i agree but Dr Aafia Siddiqui in my humble opinion has high chances of being an innocent victim though I my self do not believe in any conspiracy theories but from what I heard from her family in the news channels which i saw from what i could gather was that she was in a village on an humanitarian cause to teach disabled children which fell near the AF/PAK border a raid followed between militants & U.S/NATO troops in the midst of the skirmish she got caught & was shot by mistake by a few U.S/NATO troops they panicked & to save their skin took the easy way out which was to frame her up instead. Is was what i could understand was the case it's quite possible given the situation (its more like an individual wrong doing on the part of the troops involved & surely not a conspiracy.) That is what i think most probably have happened if that is the case then with out a doubt a wrong has been done to Dr Aafia Siddiqui . & keeping religion aside purely on an humanitarian basis i support her freedom & i also support that those troops needs to be investigated & Dr Aafia Siddiqui should be freed & she should also be compensated for the terrible ordeal that she had to go through.
thanks

Last edited:
In my humble opinion..both of them are not even Pakistanis...so how can they be our heroes. Both of them willfully and knowingly surrendered their Pakistani Nationality to become US citizens. at that time I am sure their self stood higher than the nation they belonged to. I am sure their actions for which they have been convicted and sentenced must also have been self gratifying. They are not my heroes...and I am sure any Pakistani with knowledge would also not claim them to be our heroes. However, there are some religiously motivated/ conspiracy theorists who find everything happening in the world in violation to the Muslim/ Pakistani interests. Can only pray that May Allah also open their minds. Ameen!!!

In my humble opinion..both of them are not even Pakistanis...so how can they be our heroes. Both of them willfully and knowingly surrendered their Pakistani Nationality to become US citizens. at that time I am sure their self stood higher than the nation they belonged to. I am sure their actions for which they have been convicted and sentenced must also have been self gratifying.

only one thing comes to mind when I read or hear about these two over exaggerated son & daughter of the east & their plight

when you play with fire you get burned. they brought it upon them

my heros and heroines are the unnamed soliders , doctors, medics and teachers that have lost their lives at the hands of the savage taliban while performing their duties.

In my humble opinion..both of them are not even Pakistanis...so how can they be our heroes. Both of them willfully and knowingly surrendered their Pakistani Nationality to become US citizens. at that time I am sure their self stood higher than the nation they belonged to. I am sure their actions for which they have been convicted and sentenced must also have been self gratifying. They are not my heroes...and I am sure any Pakistani with knowledge would also not claim them to be our heroes. However, there are some religiously motivated/ conspiracy theorists who find everything happening in the world in violation to the Muslim/ Pakistani interests. Can only pray that May Allah also open their minds. Ameen!!!

So every Pakistani with another passport is in your eyes not a Pakistani. If Pakistan law allows you to have more than one passport than they are also Pakistani citizens. You can not take their right just because they are not on the same level as you. The only people that are in my opinion working against the interest of the Pakistani people is the corrupt government elite, some high ranking military people and those ISI supported tribal groups.

@Aatishbaz look here=
how can they be our heroes. Both of them willfully and knowingly surrendered their Pakistani Nationality to become US citizens. at that time I am sure their self stood higher than the nation they belonged to .

So & how is that supposed to be a bad thing ? What kind of a pathetic logic is that ?"

First of all i pity your wrong thinking i am not a pakistani never was but totally I support the individual rights of a person who chooses to surrender their previous nationality , country of origen place of birth a country are things you are born with it's like something which one had no control of BUT a country of choice is your true country its not where you or your forefather's were born but rather which one did you choose i have proudly given up my ex-nationality & it is firm my believe you are who you say you are,who you choose to be & what you want to be a birthplace,country of origen,forefather's roots,ethnicity,surname,father's name,family origen,native language, tradition's & culture are one of the most worthless things that one can go for i would not even waste two dimes on it .
& lastly mind you

I AM PROUD TO BE A CANADIAN !
land of opportunity & land of the immigrants

Last edited:
The US is seen as the external oppressor and the war on terror as its instrument of oppression.

That's because it recently invaded a country on the basis of mere suspicion and looking at the recent wikileaks logs, it looks like they were doing a better job in the torture department than Saddam H.

But no one wonders whether the militants that the Americans are fighting may be the same ones that are creating chaos and anarchy here at home. It explains why everyone is quick to point out about the civilian casualties in the CIA conducted drone strikes, but no one questions whether perhaps some of those people actually deserved to die.

So who made you judge, jury and executioner?

These *people* happen to once be the militaristic backbone of our country that stood up to Lord Mountbatten when he was pondering what do to with India. Instead of touting the idea of summary executions, shouldn't you be calling for a due process as you continue to extol the virtues of democracy?

BTW, what did your ancestors do, we're they searching for petrol canisters whilst fleeing from Tara Singhs mobs?

Last edited:
Yes, call me a conspiracy theorist, I don't think a limp, passive woman who looks SMALLER THAN HER 12 YR OLD SON, managed to grab a BIG HEAVY M4 CARBINE ASSAULT RIFLE [not a little gun] and fire 2 shots before being 'subdued' by 4 armed usa agents.

Somethings about the USA story stink of a cover-up. But i wouldn't expect the writer of the article to understand, since he is a self-confessed idiot.

YouTube - The Plight of Dr Aafia Siddiqui -Moazzam Begg Part 1
YouTube - The Plight of Dr Aafia Siddiqui - Moazzam Begg Part 2

Last edited:
The only people that are in my opinion working against the interest of the Pakistani people is the corrupt government elite, some high ranking military people and those ISI supported tribal groups.

come again?

some high ranking military people? can you name any?
are they principle staff officers or the 3 Army chiefs? or are you talking rubbish

ISI supported tribal groups?
do you know what ISI is? let me re-phrase... do you know what State of Pakistan is?
let me make is easier for you.. do you know what Pakistan Army is?

got some news for you.. all three ar ethe same. there is no such thing as ISI supported tribal groups.. ISI is part of the Pakistan military.

it stands for inter services intelligence. its manpower is mainly driven from the officers and jawans of the three services. the ISI personel dont come out of thin air, they are experienced officers from the armed forces.

whats more Pakistan Army and ISI have the same mission statement.
to defend the country's geographical and Ideological boundries & uphold the constitution. they are both the state of pakistan organisations.

so your sentence should have read "State of Pakistan Supported tribal groups" so whats your problem with Pakistan State supported tribal groups???

have you come up with the high ranking military people yet? I assume you mean star officers. are they in GHQ or are they commanding corps all along the country?or do they live in your imagination? come on give us some names or their designation

and finally what do you mean by curropt goverment elite?
does it mean civil bureaucracy or the political parites in the goverment? you are too general

do you mean the social/ liberal PPP and MQM or the righteous naib Amir Al Momineen Shahbaz Sherifs PMLn?
if its the civil administration then is it Police, foreign office or the something else? be specific please I am intrigued...

and finally which people of Pakistan are you talking about? who are threatened by the Pakistani state supported tribal groups?

which people of Pakistan are you talking about who feel that "some" high ranking (?) military personal?

it seems that the type of Pakistani people you are referring to are the ones I wont even call human. at this point the only mongrels that "some" of our high ranking military personal like Gen tariq Khan IGFC and Pakistani State supported tribal groups are hunting are what we commonly know as TTP

please do come back and clarify

thanks

Last edited:
so your sentence should have read "State of Pakistan Supported tribal groups" so whats your problem with Pakistan State supported tribal groups???

Because Pakistan is arming, training and giving them money to fight for them and over 5 or 10 yrs these same groups will use these weapons and training against Pakistan if they do not like the path Pakistan has taken just as Al-Qeada and Taliban is now doing. Given weapons to people is a dangerous thing to do in any state.

In Algeria they did the same to give local people weapons to counter the Islamic armed groups and what happend was the attacks increased and the newly formed groups by the army were getting involved in kidnappings and using the weapons they got from the army against other villagers or even against the army/police. You do not have to be a professor to know the consequence of arming and training tribal villagers.

have you come up with the high ranking military people yet? I assume you mean star officers. are they in GHQ or are they commanding corps all along the country?or do they live in your imagination? come on give us some names or their designation

It is just sad to see people thinking that corruption has not infiltrated the military in Pakistan.

Just read these articles and judge for self, because if i mention names maybe i will get a ban. But if i am wrong correct me.

PAKISTAN: Corruption cases against Generals, Air Marshals and Admirals are the test of an independent judiciary

Pakistan Peoples Party

Five generals also got their loans written off ???? ?????? ?? ??? ???? ???? ???? ????? ??? | The Times of Chitral – ?? ????? ??? ?????

Last edited:
The case of Afia is interesting the pseudo Nationalists say that she was picked up from Karachi the genmirajborgza786 says she was on peace mission on tribal regions(a news for me actually) and she never mentioned in her trail to the jury that she was picked from Karachi (or border tribal region supposedly,I don't know who aired this)

but really there are contradictory statements from her family too,they even didn't recognized her daughter and son and had to go through a DNA test.

And Why only Afia?

There are many Pakistani women(Afia is American National) in Pakistan who are killed raped and abused many times why these mullahs and Religious ultra nationalists don't speak for them and help them?

This issue is pampered just because "America the evil" is involved just makes me :sick: why cant sanity prevail in these mullahs' minds?

Well Irfan bhai in all fairness to our friend Maghribi, there is certainly that element of corruption in some of the top brass of Pakistan Army... I do not believe however that a few bad fish spoil the whole pond... but there is some corruption there...

As for arming the Tribes... Maghribi... our tribes are already armed... They are allowed to carry weapons in the Tribal areas... and most of the time there has been peace in our tribal belt... It was only after America pushed the Taliban back into Pakistan... the Punjabi Taliban and the TTP got influenced by Al Qaeda philosophy of Takfiris... and when Musharaf sent the military into the Tribal area they started attacking the military calling them proxies of America...

As for the original post... anyone who is trying to kill any civilian by either act of trying to bomb them in America or Europe or the CIA drone operators who are trigger happy killing people on mere suspicion and being on record to have killed civilians on many occasions... these are bad people and the first group of them have brought shame on us Muslims as a whole...

Dr Afia's case obviously is that of America trying to protect their own soldier and made a scapegoat out of someone who has been extremely opposed to the US interests and even married in a family with links to terrorism...

It is just sad to see people thinking that corruption has not infiltrated the military in Pakistan.

Just read these articles and judge for self, because if i mention names maybe i will get a ban. But if i am wrong correct me.

PAKISTAN: Corruption cases against Generals, Air Marshals and Admirals are the test of an independent judiciary

thanks for the links.. what I fail to udnerstand is what do the decade ago retired army officers and your esteemed "Chitral news" has to do with two Ex-Pakistani Al Qaida terrorists?

are you suggesting that since Ali Kuli Khattack, who had his loan revoked 15 odd years ago is an excuse for the taliban to wage war against Pakistan?

I am sorry but what does Chitral news & loarn write offs have to do with war on terror?

at no point I am suggesting that Pakistan Amry is all saints & angels. but it has a very effective & efficiant check & balance system which weeds out culprits for a country like pakistan where you cant mave a paper within a department without curroption it is an achievement to run over half a million personal army which is an effective fighting force. give same money to any other organisation and you see a next to zero ecceft.

but I will move back yet again to the subjec. if you are criticising the methods of dealing with Taliban then you must have a workable solution.
given the current situation, Anti taliban operation seems to be an offensive on the Pushtons by the Punjabi army and thats who the anti Pakistan elements are touting this whole situation.
they call it a genocide & cleansing of Pushtons. eemploying the like minded tribal elders to confront the terrorists is an effective way to counter this propoganda.

there are valid concerns but in my opinion there are not many viable options. and by the way such system of Maliks, Khasadars and political agents has been here from british raj till today.

So whatever Chitral News says. i would say that dealing with taliban should be done indigenously otherwise you would wait and see the same people who could have been on your side slipping into the ranks of Taliban.

in the words of Gen tariq Khan, culture is someting that one can fall back to and relate to and Pushton have a very strong culture. when the Taliban rose they attacked its very bases and way of life. by banning music, killing its Maliks killing hostages etc. I hope you understand what i am saying

so if the pustons can be rallied in the name of their very own traditons to fight the taliban who have shaken the very basis of the tribal structure then so be it.

if the Chitral news has problems with that then I dont care. I have tried my best not to laugh at the link and this esteemed paper

Back
Top Bottom