What's new

Does Indian Air Force need Rafale at all?

Riaz Hussain

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
By Navneet Bhushan on January 9, 2013

With the defence cuts, the outrageously visible and comprehensively debated Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) deal for 126 modern aircraft for the Indian Air Force (IAF) is all set to be delayed. Through a complex, comprehensive and conclusive competition Rafale fighter aircraft came out trumps last year. Although the aircraft has been selected, the deal has not been signed and we were told that negotiations are on. It has also been mentioned that by end of FY 2012 the deal would be signed. Given the cuts now, it is clear that IAF will have to wait for MMRCA for some more time. Considering this delay as a blessing in disguise, can we look at what the genesis of MMRCA and how much do we need a new MMRCA? Also if we acquire a new fighter aircraft, what are the implications?

We need Dassault JV to absorb the advance tech and develop our own domestic industry, This deal is nothing but buying the advanced tech and developing our own engineers, there by developing stealth bomber and 6th generation fighter jet.

well to op who ever this Navneet Bhushan is dosent have the experience and knowledge of MOD & IAF planners and there in the world something called Planning

As Acharya Vishnugupt once said = WAR will come when it comes you have to keep yourself preapairing or it & start working on it from today for the best results you dont prepare for it when its inemmitent

Mr. Navneet Bhushan ask this idiotic question to families of brave pilots who lost their lives while flying Mig-21.

I want to write more about pressing need to replace ageing Mig 21 fleet, maintaining an upper hand over PAF and so on, but then who i am i to argue with armchair overnight defence experts like you.

Seriously why does a reputed magazine like frontline allow such articles. I'm really pissed off.

They are preparing to publicly announce MMRCA cancelation, leaking justifications.

Well, Rafale is a very expensive project but given the geo-political complexes, we may have to go for it.

To compensate, we may reduce the numbers for PAK-FA.

The very first line of the OP is wrong.The purse for the MMRCA tender was set aside a long time back when the tender was floated.So,the present defence budget cuts,if any should not be affecting that deal.Also,I dont think the defence budget of India is getting cut off,rather its increasing YoY basis.Infact,its already more than the entire GDP of Pakistan.

i think IAF doesn't need Rafales..india should invest this money in it's future crafts like FGFA & PMF...And i think india should vanish this Tejas project and should start new project with new shape n capabilities by keepin in view the future...This is what india should do now i think.. :coffee:

^^^^ you have a point but the most biggest problem which IAF is facing now is not about the future, its about the present. Most of its fighter either lost their service age or lost their combat value. So twoce of the program essential.

IIRC the MoD officially denied any defence cut and in fact next FY the defence budget will rise once again. As such this writer is clearly ill informed. All his other remarks are ignorant and nonsensical- thinking he know better than the proffesionalism in the military?!! Fool.

i think IAF doesn't need Rafales..india should invest this money in it's future crafts like FGFA & PMF...And i think india should vanish this Tejas project and should start new project with new shape n capabilities by keepin in view the future...This is what india should do now i think.. :coffee:

Agreed, Tejas is done, they will just be a gap filler and AFAIK the 1st Tejas sdrn will be based in Tamil Nadu! I mean seriously, against what? Mallu seperatists?

But we will need the Rafales to get true multi role fighters, Su 30 MKIs and FGFAs are air superiority fighters.

And to develop new indigenous fighter we need technology and capital, which we will get from 50% offset and full TOT from the Rafale deal.

India is getting 189 Rafales, I personally think 150 is good enough since the overall MKI count will be around 300+ and the Mirages also getting a major refit.

i think IAF doesn't need Rafales..india should invest this money in it's future crafts like FGFA & PMF...Ad i think inndia should vanish this Tejas project and should start new project with new shape n capabilities by keepin in view the future...This is what india should do now i think.. :coffee:
well sir its always better to have a Plan B yes we dont need tejas as we have enof planes but tejas is not just about filling gap it is helping us to fine tune owr manufacturing capabilities which will also get a bigger boost once Rafales start ariving but till then its like a practice match for us and who told you we are not developing other planes well sir we are developing 2 instead of one and it will take time as Rome Was not Built In A Day :cheers:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom