What's new

Does India deserve permanent membership in the United Nation Security Council?

Well maybe you could explain to me, how China itself could benefit from India becoming a "permanent veto-wielding member" of the security council?

China and India are rivals remember? Why would China give out something like that for nothing in return.

China is no friend of India but the thing is China will prefer India 1000 times before Japan and other countries have a loose case and also being western do not see China as favorably at well. So then the onus comes to India which is already huge market for Chinese products. Chinese veto will make India to go totally into western block which can be troublesome for china in future. if china is able to make Asian bloc successfully in future then it will have a supporter in the same way as it had in the pollution control issues. :cheers:

China is no friend of India but the thing is China will prefer India 1000 times before Japan and other countries have a loose case and also being western do not see China as favorably at well. So then the onus comes to India which is already huge market for Chinese products. Chinese veto will make India to go totally into western block which can be troublesome for china in future. if china is able to make Asian bloc successfully in future then it will have a supporter in the same way as it had in the pollution control issues. :cheers:

In order for that to happen, there has to be a compromise between China and India, which I personally do not see happening.

India and Japan are cooperating nowadays based on a mutual stance towards China, and both are looking for a UNSC permanent seat which China happens to hold a veto over.

Like I said, I don't see any significant compromise happening. Will India give up its claims on Aksai Chin or disband the Tibetan government in exile? No chance really, best to maintain the status quo.

@CD... compromise is possible as long as both sides are reasonable in their stances. You can't have a one sided win-win in a resolution.... it always has to be a win-win for both. It all depends on how both the govts negotiate and how flexible they are in doing so. We will get a first hint only after Wen's visit to India later this month. I do sincerely hope that atleast a few issues are resolved in this first phase whereby we can move to other complicated issues. Need some CBMs before the thorny issues are approached.

Well maybe you could explain to me, how China itself could benefit from India becoming a "permanent veto-wielding member" of the security council?

China and India are rivals remember? Why would China give out something like that for nothing in return.

Besides all the points that Divya made the big operating world is 'Global Image'.Some of the Chinese friends are Pakistan,North korea.Both of them are not considered exact assets to have around even more so economically Pakistan remained a liabilty for USA and will continue to be for China as well.

Its just like the case of the way USA's image is projected in the islamic world for supporting Israel.
The Chinese leaders realize this and you will see a change in outlook but that will be slow and we are in no hurry for the seat.

However it can be speeded up if the GOI is able to convince that the Indian foreign policy can never be influenced by any other country(read USA).

Last edited:

Personally, I prefer Germany than japan and india.

Personally, I prefer Germany than japan and india.

Brazil is quite a good choice too, their nominal GDP is 8th in the world. :tup:

The problem with Germany is that there are already two seats for European countries in the UNSC, Britain and France. I think it would be inadvisable to give the EU another seat on the council, especially considering Europe's declining power.

Japan will never get a permanent seat, China will veto that in an instant. They will simply be another vote for America, and that's not even mentioning the crimes they committed against China during bai nian guo chi.

Brazil is quite a good choice too, their nominal GDP is 8th in the world. :tup:

The problem with Germany is that there are already two seats for European countries in the UNSC, Britain and France. I think it would be inadvisable to give the EU another seat on the council, especially considering Europe's declining power.

Japan will never get a permanent seat, China will veto that in an instant. They will simply be another vote for America, and that's not even mentioning the crimes they committed against China during bai nian guo chi.

That is my mistake, bro. I forgot brazil....... So I need modify my post, without brazil I prefer Germany, bu,t between Germany and Brazil, brazil is the best choice.

That is my mistake, bro. I forgot brazil....... So I need modify my post, without brazil I prefer Germany, bu,t between Germany and Brazil, brazil is the best choice.

I think the best solution, is to have Brazil as a new permanent member, and give Germany the seat currently occupied by France. Probably won't happen like that, but it would be optimal.

Germany is the economic engine of the EU, they should definitely replace France on the UNSC. :tup:

The right question:who gets one at the end of the day?

No one knows, but since no one country has unanimous support from all P5 members, on either getting a security seat, or a veto... it's most likely going to drag out for a very very long time.

If human rights violation should be taken into consideration, US, China and Russia all should be off board.

But look who's talking about so-called human rights violation!!! the very people who were involved in the genocide of their own brothers in East Pakistan.

I think the best solution, is to have Brazil as a new permanent member, and give Germany the seat currently occupied by France. Probably won't happen like that, but it would be optimal.

Germany is the economic engine of the EU, they should definitely replace France on the UNSC. :tup:

I have an interesting idea. Why not distribute the UNSE seat to asia, north america, south america, europe and africa for fair.:cheesy: We need kick French and Britain and give the seat to Brazil and S.africa.:chilli: Just a joke.

Back
Top Bottom