What's new

Doctors and nurses on hunger strike in pakistan

Dozens of doctors and nurses in Punjab have launched a hunger strike demanding adequate protective equipment for frontline staff treating coronavirus patients, the lead organiser of the protest said on Saturday.

Health workers have complained for weeks that the country's hospitals are suffering chronic shortages of safety gear, prompting the arrest of more than 50 doctors who called for more supplies in Quetta earlier this month.

Frontline staff have been left vulnerable, with more than 150 medical workers testing positive for the virus nationwide, according to the Young Doctors' Association (YDA) in worst-hit Punjab.

The protesters have kept working in their hospitals while taking turns to demonstrate outside the health authority offices in Lahore.

“We do not intend on stopping until the government listens to our demands. They have been consistently refusing to adhere to our demands,” said doctor Salman Haseeb.

Haseeb heads the province's Grand Health Alliance, which is organising the protest, and he said he had not eaten since April 16.

“We are on the frontline of this virus and if we are not protected then the whole population is at risk,” he told AFP.

The alliance said about 30 doctors and nurses were on hunger strike, with up to 200 medical staff joining them each day for demonstrations.

Punjab's health workers union is supporting the alliance and also demanding adequate quarantine conditions for medical staff.

Nearly three dozen doctors, nurses and paramedics contracted the virus in one hospital in Multan, while seven members of a doctor's family were infected in Lahore, it added.

“We are simply demanding justice for our community,” said doctor and YDA chairman Khizer Hayat. Hospital staff would not escalate their protest by walking off the job, he added.

Punjab health department officials told AFP that hospitals had now been provided with adequate protection gear after an earlier “backlog” was resolved.

Earlier this month, the provincial government announced that frontline workers will be awarded a pay bonus and life insurance.

Almost half of the more than 12,000 confirmed Covid-19 infections across the country have been recorded in Punjab.

Frontline medical workers across the world have been grappling with short supplies of vital safety equipment since the start of the pandemic.
https://www.dawn.com/news/1552167/d...nch-hunger-strike-over-virus-protection-fears
typical of butthurt insecure indians to ignore their own problems & be jealous of other in the neighborhood out of sheer envy which in this case, is Pakistan's relatively low covid19 related death rate as compared to india's...
Screenshot_20200426-151535_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200426-151337_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200426-151442_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200426-151418_Samsung Internet.jpg

oye sanghi, apni napphayrr tu, hindustan jal raha hay, hindustan mar raha hay!:lol:

When the going gets tough the tough get going.

Imagine a Soldier saying"oh, I cant fight a war because I dont have adequate guns and people are dying left and right on the front lines so Im going to strike the War and not participate"

Watching too many bollywood movies and not remaining steadfast in our beautiful religion has made our people weak.
Hey.......stop bringing religion and soldiers into it. You never send a soldier without his gear into the battlefield and expect victory. There must be a bullet, a pistol or knife or even stones.
Dr Usama was my senior. He died while serving. One set of PPE could've saved his life. So was Dr Saghir who treated congo patient in bahawalpur.
Last week at Nishtar hospital doctors on corona duty were screened and 70% of them were positive. Many of my seniors were +ve too. Whose fault is this? Every day a fresh stock of N95 masks arrives here but.... God knows where it ends up, Politicians, their friends, family...
Why don't you come and help doctors, taking care of +ve patients while doctors treat them without PPE.
My duty is starting this Friday amd I am buying my own kit cause hospital doesn't have any. So buy your own stuff which you are supposed to get from govt. By your logic we should strip of Pak Army from their gear and let them fight with their iman. Or should told them to buy their own guns and bullet proof vest.
Why Holy Prophet had two swords hanging in his room the same time there was nothing to eat? Rasool SAW said to one man who didn't tied his camel that tie your camel first and then leave it upto Allah. Take precaution first and then leave it up to your Iman. Have a balanced faith.
You literally polluted this whole thread with your baseless remakes and idiotic posts. Shut your mouth if you don't know about something.
MBBS takes a long time. My classmates in Fsc, one of them is now food safety inspector in UAE after doing his graduation from university. While Iam just starting my house job. Dr Usama offcourse had some plans for his life like every one else for which he worked really hard for(Gilgiti students really are hard working)but for what......for people like you.... Saying Govt should not buy them PPE kits, save those few hundred rupees, let them die, they are doing their job.

Hey.......stop bringing religion and soldiers into it. You never send a soldier without his gear into the battlefield and expect victory. There must be a bullet, a pistol or knife or even stones.
Dr Usama was my senior. He died while serving. One set of PPE could've saved his life. So was Dr Saghir who treated congo patient in bahawalpur.
Last week at Nishtar hospital doctors on corona duty were screened and 70% of them were positive. Many of my seniors were +ve too. Whose fault is this? Every day a fresh stock of N95 masks arrives here but.... God knows where it ends up, Politicians, their friends, family...
Why don't you come and help doctors, taking care of +ve patients while doctors treat them without PPE.
My duty is starting this Friday amd I am buying my own kit cause hospital doesn't have any. So buy your own stuff which you are supposed to get from govt. By your logic we should strip of Pak Army from their gear and let them fight with their iman. Or should told them to buy their own guns and bullet proof vest.
Why Holy Prophet had two swords hanging in his room the same time there was nothing to eat? Rasool SAW said to one man who didn't tied his camel that tie your camel first and then leave it upto Allah. Take precaution first and then leave it up to your Iman. Have a balanced faith.
You literally polluted this whole thread with your baseless remakes and idiotic posts. Shut your mouth if you don't know about something.
MBBS takes a long time. My classmates in Fsc, one of them is now food safety inspector in UAE after doing his graduation from university. While Iam just starting my house job. Dr Usama offcourse had some plans for his life like every one else for which he worked really hard for(Gilgiti students really are hard working)but for what......for people like you.... Saying Govt should not buy them PPE kits, save those few hundred rupees, let them die, they are doing their job.

Oh look another lib thinking its all about him. Thank you for your sacrifices, You guys are truly doing a great job on the front lines who are fighting this pandemic with the shortages in equipment. Have all the respect for you guys in my heart.

But this isnt about you its about the doctors who are going on hunger strikes.

First of all we doctors are doing our work getting exposed to virus everyday without proper ppe don’t we have parents or kids or family we want to protect and secondly if doctors keep dropping like flies all the rest of you are doomed got it and we need proper equipment to fight this disease can’t just wave my hand and it vanishes. How about you come to Pakistan and help us move those pts around without ppe phir apni phata Ge tau kud he ppe mango Ge smjh lagi plus if your sending back money to Pakistan your doing it for your family not for Pakistan so stop this bs and remain to your respective field don’t interfere in things you don’t know or have any idea about got it

Hey man good to see a doctor here. Government claims that they have provided PPE to all doctors dealing with Covid 19 patient. But here doctors are claiming otherwise. Whats the reality ?

I feel the issue is with the doctors assigned on non covid 19 duties. They r asking for kits as well ? M i right ?

If thats the case why dont u guys buy your own kits as these r not very expensive and u r exposed like any other himan being in the world.

Kindly tell us the real situation

Oh look another lib thinking its all about him. Thank you for your sacrifices, You guys are truly doing a great job on the front lines who are fighting this pandemic with the shortages in equipment. Have all the respect for you guys in my heart.

But this isnt about you its about the doctors who are going on hunger strikes.
No this is about my community "Doctors" who are not given any protective equipment while they treat highly contagious disease. Virus is not limited to those who work at quarantine centres, they infect their fellows at hostels, their family and friends and the circle continues.
They are protesting cause lack of protective gear have made them vulnerable to contracting infection and not just them, it includes everyone in their close circle. There is shortage in the market, they are having problems buying their own and the same time govt isn't providing them witj enough.

Hey man good to see a doctor here. Government claims that they have provided PPE to all doctors dealing with Covid 19 patient. But here doctors are claiming otherwise. Whats the reality ?

I feel the issue is with the doctors assigned on non covid 19 duties. They r asking for kits as well ? M i right ?

If thats the case why dont u guys buy your own kits as these r not very expensive and u r exposed like any other himan being in the world.

Kindly tell us the real situation
No we aren’t exposed like any other human beings are the other human being dealing with sick people who could be asymptotic and what if 5-6 asymptotic patients come and eventually my viral load would exceed my immune system and get serious case of covid-19 that’s why we are asking. When they are cutting my pay for this stuff then why aren’t they giving it to us

No we aren’t exposed like any other human beings are the other human being dealing with sick people who could be asymptotic and what if 5-6 asymptotic patients come and eventually my viral load would exceed my immune system and get serious case of covid-19 that’s why we are asking. When they are cutting my pay for this stuff then why aren’t they giving it to us

Well the apparent reason ia world wise shortage of these equipments.

They r trying to develop the capacity to manufacture them in Pakistan so that u guys can be protected as well.

But remember first priority is always the doctors who are placed at corona isolation wards.

Secondly the pay cut is not for buying kits but for provding food to those who are dying of hunger.

Your demand is justified but u have to look at the bigger picture.

IA togather we will get through this

Well the apparent reason ia world wise shortage of these equipments.

They r trying to develop the capacity to manufacture them in Pakistan so that u guys can be protected as well.

But remember first priority is always the doctors who are placed at corona isolation wards.

Secondly the pay cut is not for buying kits but for provding food to those who are dying of hunger.

Your demand is justified but u have to look at the bigger picture.

IA togather we will get through this
no it’s not for feeding the poor that’s what my tax cuts are from my pay and I think you have little knowledge of how the virus works or how it gets transferred and what a viral load is. As I said before it’s related to my profession so we are the one looking beyond your bigger picture and we know if all the people in one dhq can get exposed then that whole hospital has to shut down since all the doctors are exposed.All the doctors in hospital right now are not non-essential they are working in different emergencies and getting exposed all day. That’s why I said this beyond the knowledge of layman so please let it be dealt with by professional who have been trained for this. Thank you

no it’s not for feeding the poor that’s what my tax cuts are from my pay and I think you have little knowledge of how the virus works or how it gets transferred and what a viral load is. As I said before it’s related to my profession so we are the one looking beyond your bigger picture and we know if all the people in one dhq can get exposed then that whole hospital has to shut down since all the doctors are exposed.All the doctors in hospital right now are not non-essential they are working in different emergencies and getting exposed all day. That’s why I said this beyond the knowledge of layman so please let it be dealt with by professional who have been trained for this. Thank you
May be you are right but on the other part what knowledge do you have economics and supplies ?

Do you have any knowledge how these medical supplies are made available to you at hospital? How are they manufactures? from where ?

So where I agree that you guys are at the front and facing the risk but ground realities are there. Even the country as rich and powerful as US is facing the problem of shortage of PPEs and thats the ground reality of which you are not an expert of.

May be you are right but on the other part what knowledge do you have economics and supplies ?

Do you have any knowledge how these medical supplies are made available to you at hospital? How are they manufactures? from where ?

So where I agree that you guys are at the front and facing the risk but ground realities are there. Even the country as rich and powerful as US is facing the problem of shortage of PPEs and thats the ground reality of which you are not an expert of

So where I agree that you guys are at the front and facing the risk but ground realities are there. Even the country as rich and powerful as US is facing the problem of shortage of PPEs and thats the ground reality of which you are not an expert of.
It’s fun telling us that there is a problem of supply and all but your sitting at home and not here in the hospital dealing with patients and there Attendent’s ignorance neither are you treating every patient without testing for covid-19 neither are you preforming operations in which there is high chances of aerosol on your face in tracheostomy for example. It’s all Pakistani’s fault including me that for a long time we choose incompetent and retarded leaders who don’t give two cents about heath and now all of you want us to sacrifice ourself for you all when even when there was no covid-19 treated us doctors like crap. Nice

It’s fun telling us that there is a problem of supply and all but your sitting at home and not here in the hospital dealing with patients and there Attendent’s ignorance neither are you treating every patient without testing for covid-19 neither are you preforming operations in which there is high chances of aerosol on your face in tracheostomy for example. It’s all Pakistani’s fault including me that for a long time we choose incompetent and retarded leaders who don’t give two cents about heath and now all of you want us to sacrifice ourself for you all when even when there was no covid-19 treated us doctors like crap. Nice

First of all if u r not satisfied with your job you can always tendee your resignation and choose another career.

We do respect doctors but enough is enough ... u guys keep on going on strike after every now and then and now when the problem comes then again u r going strike. Behaving like stubborn kid that i dont know if PPEs are available or not i need them.

So u r welcome to resign and u can stop treating patients but not by going on strikes as it will waste my tax money.

First of all if u r not satisfied with your job you can always tendee your resignation and choose another career.

We do respect doctors but enough is enough ... u guys keep on going on strike after every now and then and now when the problem comes then again u r going strike. Behaving like stubborn kid that i dont know if PPEs are available or not i need them.

So u r welcome to resign and u can stop treating patients but not by going on strikes as it will waste my tax money.
You do realise your not the only one giving taxes they our taxes first and then pay us. So I don’t need this crap from you. Second it out right to demand ppe and masks from our government as is the right of every other professional. Secondly no emergency is closed and no flu counter is closed for your information only couple of doctors are giving a protest in Punjab Secretariat so you have to have your facts straight your maligning us on one news article posted by a Indian have you ever thought what’s the other side of this or why they are doing this and how come new patients of covid-19 admitted or treated they are being done by doctors so how can that happen and we be on strike at the same time have you ever thought about this ?

You do realise your not the only one giving taxes they our taxes first and then pay us. So I don’t need this crap from you. Second it out right to demand ppe and masks from our government as is the right of every other professional. Secondly no emergency is closed and no flu counter is closed for your information only couple of doctors are giving a protest in Punjab Secretariat so you have to have your facts straight your maligning us on one news article posted by a Indian have you ever thought what’s the other side of this or why they are doing this and how come new patients of covid-19 admitted or treated they are being done by doctors so how can that happen and we be on strike at the same time have you ever thought about this ?
Lets end this discussion.

I agree that u should have PPE i never disagree that. However if something do not exist then how to provide that? As long u realize the situation i have no problem with that. May Allah give you strength to fight this. Allah hafiz

Lets end this discussion.

I agree that u should have PPE i never disagree that. However if something do not exist then how to provide that? As long u realize the situation i have no problem with that. May Allah give you strength to fight this. Allah hafiz
Thank you. We get pissed off that every time a politician or a bureaucrat visits somewhere nowadays even to hospitals they are wearing n95 mask while doctors here in emergency are give surgical mask and in some pic. You can see ministers and there servants wearing n95 masks while doctors are wearing simple surgical masks that’s why we cry out.

Thank you. We get pissed off that every time a politician or a bureaucrat visits somewhere nowadays even to hospitals they are wearing n95 mask while doctors here in emergency are give surgical mask and in some pic. You can see ministers and there servants wearing n95 masks while doctors are wearing simple surgical masks that’s why we cry out.
Federal gov is trying to manufacture them in Pak. If succeed u will get them. IK is doing his best but he cannot undone decades of blunders of past.

We are with u and we do respect u. Thanks for your services

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom