What's new

Do Russian Tanks Suck?

The one thing most people do not know or did not consider in Battle of Stalingrad is the logistic line in both countries.

The trip to supply the German army in Stalingrad from berlin is almost 3 times the trip to supply of Red Army from Moscow. (1377 miles vs 566 miles) Every german troop lost would take 3 times as long to replenish than every red army soldier lost. And subsequently every bullet, shell, food, clothing travel 3 times as long as the Russian counterpart to reach the frontline.

Most people ignore or discount the logistic effort, Germany tried resupplying and recover their invasion force from forefront, but failed, and that's the reason why Germany fail the whole campaign. Even though German troop are better equipped and most likely better trained than the Red Army counter part. But the time for 1 German replacement travel to frontline to Stalingrad to replenish their unit, Red Army can muster 3 soldier, even if they use 2 as a canon fodder and use 1 in reserve, they would eventually maintain a number superiority by day, and when there are more Soviet Reserve than German soldier, then the tide would change

hence why the Human tactics favor the Russian.
Yes indeed. The Soviets were fighting at their doorstep and they took full advantage of it. But thats an advantage the home side will always have. They were always going to throw men and material into the battlefield quicker than the Germans. Thats why taking Moscow was of paramount importance. To deprive them of the nucleus coordinating their whole effort.
PS : is that you in jhungary's avatar ?

Last edited:
Yes indeed. The Soviets were fighting at their doorstep and they took full advantage of it. But thats an advantage the home side will always have. They were always going to throw men and material into the battlefield quicker than the Germans. Thats why taking Moscow was of paramount importance. To deprive them of the nucleus coordinating their whole effort.

PS : is that you in jhungary's avatar ?

The battle planning is all messed up with the German.

On one hand, they realized that they needed to be quickly capture key cities like Kiev, Moscow, Smolensk and Leningrad, and they did that with lighting speed, but the same approach is completely and categorically ignored by the German high command in Stalingrad.

Stalingrad is a city with minimum military importance, with the sole tractor factory (Which in that stage of war cannot produce new tank for action and relegated to repair of old damaged tank.), there are literally no strategic nor tactical importance to attack Stalingrad.

The battle goes directly opposite the original battle plan that the German drew. Now I don't really know is that because the German think Stalingrad is just another chalk mark under their belt or they are stupid enough to think Stalingrad have any kind of importance. The attack of Stalingrad set off a chain of event and eventually lead to Germany defeat in in the Eastern front.

German high command know about this strategic disadvantage and yet allow the battle of Stalingrad to go ahead is a simply mortal mistake...

And I am not the one on jhungary's avatar.

The battle planning is all messed up with the German.

On one hand, they realized that they needed to be quickly capture key cities like Kiev, Moscow, Smolensk and Leningrad, and they did that with lighting speed, but the same approach is completely and categorically ignored by the German high command in Stalingrad.

Stalingrad is a city with minimum military importance, with the sole tractor factory (Which in that stage of war cannot produce new tank for action and relegated to repair of old damaged tank.), there are literally no strategic nor tactical importance to attack Stalingrad.

The battle goes directly opposite the original battle plan that the German drew. Now I don't really know is that because the German think Stalingrad is just another chalk mark under their belt or they are stupid enough to think Stalingrad have any kind of importance. The attack of Stalingrad set off a chain of event and eventually lead to Germany defeat in in the Eastern front.

German high command know about this strategic disadvantage and yet allow the battle of Stalingrad to go ahead is a simply mortal mistake...

And I am not the one on jhungary's avatar.
Correct, Stalingrad was not part of the plan for Case Blue. But I believe like many others that German loss didnt begin at Stalingrad but it started at Moscow. We need dedicated threads for Case Barbarossa and Case Blue to discuss there issues in detail.
You served in Swedish military ?

Correct, Stalingrad was not part of the plan for Case Blue. But I believe like many others that German loss didnt begin at Stalingrad but it started at Moscow. We need dedicated threads for Case Barbarossa and Case Blue to discuss there issues in detail.
You served in Swedish military ?

Yes I did served in Swedish Army, I discharged as a Major in Judge Advocate/Legal Advisor with Swedish Armed Force HQ (Afghanistan)

The Battle of Moscow turn the tide (Together with Stalingrad) against the German, but the German loss already mounted up seriously at that point, particularly so after the Battle of Kiev and Battle of Uman, the very core strategy for Blitzkrieg is to avoid confrontation until a weak point can be exploit, the German did not do that, the only "bypass" they actually made is with Leningrad, otherwise a scorched earth policy in place, when it does, it's only a matter of time the German troop runs out of steams and being roll back, at WW2, that point is during Battle of Stalingrad, which the beginning of the end is actually Battle of Moscow

Yes I did served in Swedish Army, I discharged as a Major in Judge Advocate/Legal Advisor with Swedish Armed Force HQ (Afghanistan)
Cool.8-)
The Battle of Moscow turn the tide (Together with Stalingrad) against the German, but the German loss already mounted up seriously at that point, particularly so after the Battle of Kiev and Battle of Uman, the very core strategy for Blitzkrieg is to avoid confrontation until a weak point can be exploit, the German did not do that, the only "bypass" they actually made is with Leningrad, otherwise a scorched earth policy in place, when it does, it's only a matter of time the German troop runs out of steams and being roll back, at WW2, that point is during Battle of Stalingrad, which the beginning of the end is actually Battle of Moscow
Very accurate analysis.
I am starting a thread on Operation Barbarossa. See you there.

Back
Top Bottom