What's new

Do indians have good table manners ?

Well, Whenever I along with my family finishes the food I let out a loud burp (anyone can compete with me), all the three, my wife son and daughter stare at me!! Then I say to my children "Don't blame me, your mother cooks so well"!!......:D

Last edited:
1. Table manners and etiquette varies from nation to nation & culture to culture. In India right from childhood one is taught to keep the hands clean so that there is hygiene maintained while eating with bare hands. But at the same time, we respect the dining mannerism of other countries just as we enjoy eating with our bare hands.

2.Eating with hands gives you flexibility to eat whatever you want. You don't need to change your cutlery every time you want to eat something different, in short its more convenient to us. And when you talk about "Bare hands", its basically finger tips that are used by majority of the Indians. In certain regions letting the food stain outside the fingers or palm is considered as ill manners.

3. Personally speaking, I tend to enjoy the taste of food more with bare (clean) hands rather than eating with the a spoon, fork or a knife. It appears to me more as an exercise rather than eating...!

4. Last but of course not the least, Eating with bare hands is healthy- I found the following explanation in the Liberty Voice ( refer the link at the end) -In the Vedic tradition, eating with ones hands is tied to the practice of hand mudras – or meditative gestures using the hands and other body parts. The hands are honored as a beautiful ‘organ of action.’ A famous Vedic sloka or verse suggests that divinity rests within human effort – brought about through the hands.

When we touch our food before putting it into our mouths the millions of nerve endings on the tips of our fingers are getting a temperature and texture reading that is immediately sent to the stomach – like a warning signal. Ayurvedic wisdom teaches that our bodies can respond to this food-touch by producing the needed enzymes and digestive juices before the food even meets our lips – and that the fingers themselves even contain enzymes which start the digestive process upon first touch.

However with more and more emphasis on Table etiquette and dining manners, an average Indian sometimes hesitates to eat with his hands & starts using a spoon or fork in restaurants and formal dining occasions..!
I feel lets be proud of our "Bare hand" eating tradition ( Believe me it requires a lot of practice! ) and continue with that.. Chak de..!

Eating with Your Hands is Healthier

Indians Have Some Really REALLY Disgusting Table Manners | NDTV.com

food-650_5.jpg

To eat or not eat isn't the question- it's whether to use a spoon or not, lick your fingers or not, and/or pick your teeth with your fingers or not.

Let's draw you a little picture... Imagine sitting at a restaurant and looking at the guy on the other table eating with his hands elbows deep in his dinner. While you make intricate maneuvers with your fork and knife, trying not to hurt your food, this guy chomps at his grub with brazen abandon. You watch him wipe the meat sweats off his face with the back of his hand, as you nervously pick your napkin from your lap to dab your mouth, going "eww" a million times in your head. A word of advice, this video isn't for your delicate palate.

Culture Machine's Being Indian presents this wonderfully nuanced video on how a true blue Indian enjoys his food and drinks.

They include:

- Slurping your tea with a chuski

- Pouring a Patiala Peg of whiskey and drinking only after offering some to the God of Booze

- Getting our hands dirty to achieve proper gastronomical pleasure

- Helping your Tandoori Chicken achieve nirvana by not leaving a shred on the bone

- Burping and spreading the joy of food

- Digesting your food with a cocktail of not less than three mouth fresheners

This video is so brilliantly bang-on you may want to order yourself a hot plate of Tandoori Chicken; or well, not eat for the next few hours.

Here's the hunger and laughter inducing feast:

Actually a lot of Indians needs to get food to get table manners.

People in Asia, Africa and South America eat food with their hands mainly. Maybe some high-class family wanna show some standard but not every one. It's like more than 2/3 of total population of world. And it's their personal choice about how they wanna eat and drink. And what is this table manner thing? more than 2/3 people don't even have tables to eat on and many peoples don't even like to eat on table including me.

Sorry I prefer to use my hand. Why use spoons when Allah has given u Fingers

well sometimes its the occasion that calls.. the colonial subculture still prevails, especially in higher up official dines... and to be honest, eating rice by fingers is a messy affair.. with all the fabric and stuff, lets not say that one way is better than other. both are perfectly fine as long as you are not wasting food or eating more than you need.

Indians Have Some Really REALLY Disgusting Table Manners | NDTV.com

food-650_5.jpg

To eat or not eat isn't the question- it's whether to use a spoon or not, lick your fingers or not, and/or pick your teeth with your fingers or not.

Let's draw you a little picture... Imagine sitting at a restaurant and looking at the guy on the other table eating with his hands elbows deep in his dinner. While you make intricate maneuvers with your fork and knife, trying not to hurt your food, this guy chomps at his grub with brazen abandon. You watch him wipe the meat sweats off his face with the back of his hand, as you nervously pick your napkin from your lap to dab your mouth, going "eww" a million times in your head. A word of advice, this video isn't for your delicate palate.

Culture Machine's Being Indian presents this wonderfully nuanced video on how a true blue Indian enjoys his food and drinks.

They include:

- Slurping your tea with a chuski

- Pouring a Patiala Peg of whiskey and drinking only after offering some to the God of Booze

- Getting our hands dirty to achieve proper gastronomical pleasure

- Helping your Tandoori Chicken achieve nirvana by not leaving a shred on the bone

- Burping and spreading the joy of food

- Digesting your food with a cocktail of not less than three mouth fresheners

This video is so brilliantly bang-on you may want to order yourself a hot plate of Tandoori Chicken; or well, not eat for the next few hours.

Here's the hunger and laughter inducing feast:

The great pakistani Food atticates

Actually a lot of Indians needs to get food to get table manners.

We will have to change our entire Indian cuisine to eat with knife and fork. I can't imagine eating elastic type roti or fish curry with fork, knife and spoon. :sarcastic::sarcastic:

Back
Top Bottom