What's new

DMRL gets a breakthrough on Single Crystal Blade technology

greatone

Reaction score
Country
India
This from Saurav Jha's twiiter

B7ADC0ZCYAEMXmV.png

This is absolutely huge in terms of indigenous turbofan development if we are able to make better SCBs than the ones in the MKI engine.

B7ADC0ZCYAEMXmV.png

This is absolutely huge in terms of indigenous turbofan development if we are able to make better SCBs than the ones in the MKI engine.

This is good stuff, CB tech is a definite when making aero-engines.
I hope they can utilize it for Tejas and AMCA.

I have not really followed kaveri engine project. What are the things we lack? Does this help in our mission ?
I have never worked on engines, I don't know much about it either.
As far as Al31's go, why fix if not broken. One area that might need work is developing bearings with higher life. I am sure Kaveri's next iteration will feature this.

B7ADC0ZCYAEMXmV.png

Great Saturn AL-31FP has 123 kN with afterburner (27,500 lbf) If Some how GTRE Match this with this New Development :rolleyes1:It will do wonders of us

[/USER]
Is India in any position to improve the engines it makes for MKI based on the above? or is it too much celebration too early?

Doubtful, the Russians have to approve any modification, just as they have to approve the modifications on BARS by implementing Indian techs. And what are you celebrating actually? A minor step ahead, when we just had a huge fall back by scrapping the Kaveri engine development? We basically start from scratch again and the fact that even DRDO had no hope in Kaveri and first wanted a foreign core and now even prefer to invest in an upgraded foreign engine for AMCA, than to fixing the problems with Kaveri shows where we stand in this field.
I just hope that we have the possibility to modify the type 30 engine of FGFA, since we have funded parts of the development. That will be a major step ahead, since we will remain dependent on heavy class fighter engines for decades and should aim on making us less dependent on Russia there too.

Doubtful, the Russians have to approve any modification, just as they have to approve the modifications on BARS by implementing Indian techs. And what are you celebrating actually? A minor step ahead, when we just had a huge fall back by scrapping the Kaveri engine development? We basically start from scratch again and the fact that even DRDO had no hope in Kaveri and first wanted a foreign core and now even prefer to invest in an upgraded foreign engine for AMCA, than to fixing the problems with Kaveri shows where we stand in this field.
I just hope that we have the possibility to modify the type 30 engine of FGFA, since we have funded parts of the development. That will be a major step ahead, since we will remain dependent on heavy class fighter engines for decades and should aim on making us less dependent on Russia there too.

Agreed about the engines.
Regarding single crystal blade, I was under the impression that it was a major issue. Thanks for clarifying.

One area that might need work is developing bearings with higher life

Sir can you explain what kind of bearings are used for jet engines. I've worked on steam turbines and these have Babbitt lines Journal bearings with oil lubrication. However owing to much higher speeds and temperatures, what kind of bearing and materials are used in je

This is one more step into the realization of Hot engine. Along with this design, we need some mattlurgy which can sustain at 1600*c+ at 30:1 compression ratio (At which GE 414 operates). If we can produce an engine comparable or batter than RD 33 engine of russia, it will be an achievement. We can later on improve the engine to make it comparable to current GE version. We need some more research in refrectories to make engines lighter and better.

This is one more step into the realization of Hot engine. Along with this design, we need some mattlurgy which can sustain at 1600*c+ at 30:1 compression ratio (At which GE 414 operates). If we can produce an engine comparable or batter than RD 33 engine of russia, it will be an achievement. We can later on improve the engine to make it comparable to current GE version. We need some more research in refrectories to make engines lighter and better.

A good engine is really needed at this moment. Many projects are delayed because of this.

We were good at electronic and software part, remember we developed FADEC earlier than even Russian but what delayed is single crystal blades and metallurgy.

A good engine is really needed at this moment. Many projects are delayed because of this.

We were good at electronic and software part, remember we developed FADEC earlier than even Russian but what delayed is single crystal blades and metallurgy.

What is FADEC?

Back
Top Bottom