What's new

Directed Energy Weapons: Pakistan

Laser based DEW requires expertise in semiconductor technology and power engineering. At its very core:

1. Generate power.
2. Convert to electric power.
3. Convert to electromagnetic power.
4. Direct it onto target.

There are two applications, each with their own challenges:

1. Fixed defence systems.
2. Mobile systems.

It would be nice if a network of nuclear power plants could be set up feel inside Pakistan, and a secure network of underground cables linked to fixed defence systems at the borders.

Mobile systems would require us to come up with original research to solve the power problems.

Having said all this, DEW have their own drawbacks. Since the weapon needs to have the target within line of sight, there is a lag time to turn the weapon towards the target. We would need emitters that can target the entire hemisphere to overcome this.

Then, with hypersonic projectiles, it is not enough to simply destroy them, because the resulting debris will still cause damage. You need a counter momentum in order to deflect them, or take them out very early.

I have previously written about nuclear projectiles shot from rail guns. I was instructed quite forcefully by @Dazzler to stop that line of inquiry.

In any case, exciting times.

Most important thing about DEW is that they are very cheap to operate. One laser shot on US navy ship will cost 1$ per shot, on the other hand if a missile is fired to intercept an incoming it may cost millions of dollars. It will be a great force multiplier for poorer nations. I think we should focus on DEWs. Just my 2 cents.

Most important thing about DEW is that they are very cheap to operate. One laser shot on US navy ship will cost 1$ per shot, on the other hand if a missile is fired to intercept an incoming it may cost millions of dollars. It will be a great force multiplier for poorer nations. I think we should focus on DEWs. Just my 2 cents.

Where did you get the $1 per shot figure? Until and unless it is mass produced, you need to factor in the R&D cost, and the cost of operation into account. The cost of operation isn't just fuel costs, but also maintenance, and the wear and tear/degradation caused by operating such a high powered system.

Where did you get the $1 per shot figure? Until and unless it is mass produced, you need to factor in the R&D cost, and the cost of operation into account. The cost of operation isn't just fuel costs, but also maintenance, and the wear and tear/degradation caused by operating such a high powered system.

These numbers come out by the research institutes of north america, making a comparison that DEW-L is cheaper than firing CIWS and SAMs.

I had read this one dollor cost in one of the research papers but I agree with you that it cannot include R&D, acquisition and maintenence costs.

Let us first fix the water and electricity issue for population and then we can worry about directing energy at some point
Let all efforts go side by side, we have dedicated departments for each task, let's hold them accountable

Let us first fix the water and electricity issue for population and then we can worry about directing energy at some point

Water is very big issue, it could bring chaos between communities / areas in urban or rural environment, worst is civil unrest / war, to avoid it Pakistan should take appropriate measures fast, or we have to go for a very bloody war with India.

Several years ago there was a plan to melt glaciers using lasers in Pakistan to avoid drought. It was doable but the consequences of this were thought to be really bad in long run hence idea was dropped.

This link is the only reference I could find for it, could be from 2001 but it shows if Pakistan had the capability to implement such a plan back then it must have progressed leaps by now.

http://dailyrevolution.org/allgood/010601.html

From Quwa PAF is working on a EMP weapon to neutralize electronics.

In its latest yearbook, the Ministry of Defence Production (MoDP) listed the development of an "Anti Soft Avionics Bomb" for the Pakistan Air Force (PAF).
It is not clear what this bomb will be, but the wording implies a focus on neutralizing electronics. It could potentially be an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) weapon, though unconfirmed.

In his inauguration of Kamra Aviation City, the PAF Chief of Air Staff (CAS) said that under Project Azm, Pakistan is developing advanced weapons, few of them already produced."

Granted, the "anti soft avionics bomb" may not be a complex weapon relative to other weapons aiming to achieve the same goals (e.g. Boeing CHAMP).

But this will set the foundation for interesting - and more advanced - programs in the future. It's a start.

These are the kinds of weapons that will help Pakistan bridge its quantitative and qualitative gaps with its adversaries. They offer valuable capabilities at relatively limited cost, especially in terms of deployment.

See Quwa's article on asymmetrical weapons for insight on the different kinds of munitions Pakistan can pursue.

http://quwa.org/…/pakistans-force-multipliers-part-4-asymm…/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom