What's new

Diplomat arrest: US has no plans to drop charges against Khobragade Washington

US attorney Preet Bharara comes out swinging to defend his arrest of an Indian diplomat
By Adam Pasick @adampasick December 19, 2013
bharara.jpg

What does a "full search" entail? Reuters/Carlo Allegri

Manhattan US Attorney Preet Bharara has taken on Wall Street, Al Qaeda, and theGambino crime family, but few of his cases have aroused as much acrimony and controversy as his office’s arrest of Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade, who was booked this week for visa fraud and other charges over the employment status of her housekeeper. The alleged rough handling of Khobragade, which included being strip- and cavity-searched, has triggered a massive outcry and diplomatic backlash in India.

Bharara, an Indian American once named Person of the Year by India Abroad magazine, broke his silence over the case in the early hours of Friday with a lengthy statement detailing the case against Khobragade. He acknowledged she had been “fully searched by a female Deputy Marshal in a private setting,” but said, “this is standard practice for every defendant, rich or poor, American or not, in order to make sure that no prisoner keeps anything on his person that could harm anyone, including himself.”

He disputed that Khobragade was handcuffed or arrested in front of her children, and noted that she was “was accorded courtesies well beyond what other defendants … are accorded,” such as use of her cell phone and time to arrange alternative child care arrangements. He added that the housekeeper’s family had been relocated from India to the United States to ensure their safety after they were confronted about the case.

Khobragade is India’s deputy consul general in New York, and she says she protested her arrest with repeated “assertions of immunity.” But a US State Department spokeswoman said Khobragade does not have full diplomatic immunity, but rather the more limited form of protection.

This isn’t the first time that Bharara has come under scrutiny for prosecuting a high-profile case involving defendants of Indian citizenship or descent—his office has secured insider trading convictions against former Goldman Sachs director Rajat Gupta and tech analyst Sandeep Aggarwal, among others. Asked about his high-profile prosecutions of South Asians, Bharara told BusinessWeek in August: “People spend a little too much time, surprisingly to me, focusing on accidents of ethnic overlap. As a friend of mine once said, you know where that happens every day? Where you have an Indian prosecutor and an Indian defendant? India.”

US attorney Preet Bharara comes out swinging to defend his arrest of an Indian diplomat – Quartz

Anyone in the US legally required to be protect by US law. Don't matter a maid is Indian national and hired by Indian government or consulate, if either the Indian government or consulate violate the US labor law then they will be to answer to US justice system and defend their innocent.

u will see what happens next urself.
usa was in totally wrong this time,either it corrects itself or be prepared to wreck the relations.

as already stated we won't be that much affected if we move close to china.not at all
USA will have to face a lot of sleepless nights though,imho

this incident should warn all those here who advocate us buying defence equipment from usa,we will always be unsafe in cases of the war.they can apply sanctions anytime on any grounds they like.

US attorney Preet Bharara comes out swinging to defend his arrest of an Indian diplomat
By Adam Pasick @adampasick December 19, 2013
bharara.jpg

What does a "full search" entail? Reuters/Carlo Allegri

Manhattan US Attorney Preet Bharara has taken on Wall Street, Al Qaeda, and theGambino crime family, but few of his cases have aroused as much acrimony and controversy as his office’s arrest of Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade, who was booked this week for visa fraud and other charges over the employment status of her housekeeper. The alleged rough handling of Khobragade, which included being strip- and cavity-searched, has triggered a massive outcry and diplomatic backlash in India.

Bharara, an Indian American once named Person of the Year by India Abroad magazine, broke his silence over the case in the early hours of Friday with a lengthy statement detailing the case against Khobragade. He acknowledged she had been “fully searched by a female Deputy Marshal in a private setting,” but said, “this is standard practice for every defendant, rich or poor, American or not, in order to make sure that no prisoner keeps anything on his person that could harm anyone, including himself.”

He disputed that Khobragade was handcuffed or arrested in front of her children, and noted that she was “was accorded courtesies well beyond what other defendants … are accorded,” such as use of her cell phone and time to arrange alternative child care arrangements. He added that the housekeeper’s family had been relocated from India to the United States to ensure their safety after they were confronted about the case.

Khobragade is India’s deputy consul general in New York, and she says she protested her arrest with repeated “assertions of immunity.” But a US State Department spokeswoman said Khobragade does not have full diplomatic immunity, but rather the more limited form of protection.

This isn’t the first time that Bharara has come under scrutiny for prosecuting a high-profile case involving defendants of Indian citizenship or descent—his office has secured insider trading convictions against former Goldman Sachs director Rajat Gupta and tech analyst Sandeep Aggarwal, among others. Asked about his high-profile prosecutions of South Asians, Bharara told BusinessWeek in August: “People spend a little too much time, surprisingly to me, focusing on accidents of ethnic overlap. As a friend of mine once said, you know where that happens every day? Where you have an Indian prosecutor and an Indian defendant? India.”

US attorney Preet Bharara comes out swinging to defend his arrest of an Indian diplomat – Quartz

if he comes to india,i will personally make sure to give him a cavity search.asshole

u will see what happens next urself.
usa was in totally wrong this time,either it corrects itself or be prepared to wreck the relations.

as already stated we won't be that much affected if we move close to china.not at all
USA will have to face a lot of sleepless nights though,imho

this incident should warn all those here who advocate us buying defence equipment from usa,we will always be unsafe in cases of the war.they can apply sanctions anytime on any grounds they like.

Justice for all or justice for none, India can't use India military procurement to pressure the US, if Indian don't want to buy US equipment other nation will do, US spent 600 billions on defend, US don't need India purchase for the survival of US defend industry.

Good for India - Karma works in amazing ways. After making fun of Pakistanis and siding with Americans (even in cases where Pakistan was right..), i think they should get a good dosage of American Arrogance.

Last edited:
Justice for all or justice for none, India can't use India military procurement to pressure the US, if Indian don't want to buy US equipment other nation will do, US spent 600 billions on defend, US don't need India purchase for the survival of US defend industry.

usa needs to expand or china will **** it up in another 20 years.

its not the old times anymore dude

plus BRICS alliance if gains traction is a serious threat to the world bank and the IMF down the road.

Good for India - Karma works in amazing ways. After making fun of Pakistanis and siding with Americans (even in cases where Pakistan was right..), i think they should get a good dosage of Americans.

for once i agree

if pakistan gives up terrorism,we can both unite and shake the world.trust me on this

either way kashmir is settled,half way through.no point in trying more

Good for India - Karma works in amazing ways. After making fun of Pakistanis and siding with Americans (even in cases where Pakistan was right..), i think they should get a good dosage of Americans.

Pakistan law allowed US government to find a loophole in it and paid the blood money to free the US diplomat. US confirm to Pakistan according to the law allow.

who the hell cares??

she was getting indian salary as she was from india,,,she was not a usa citizen living there.
her whole family was in india and she was sending the money back

the law would have been good had we hired someone from the usa.

this case won't stand anywhere,if it does and she gets jailed then god save those gay diplomats

in india its 14 years imprisonment for gay sex.

once again i am against such foolish measures but usa is leaving us with no choice

You are speaking in future tense, no one know what will happen 20 yrs into the future. Hold your horse from claim the rise of China and ensuring the demise of the US.

Pakistan law allowed US government to find a loophole in it and paid the blood money to free the US diplomat. US confirm to Pakistan according to the law allow.

You are speaking in future tense, no one know what will happen 20 yrs into the future. Hold your horse from claim the rise of China and ensuring the demise of the US.

and why are u keeping on harping the same point.

i gave u the figures on her salary but when u keep on ignoring everything what should i say??
only thing is this is election time in india and usa should be prepared for some arrests too if charges are not dropped from their side.

and why are u keeping on harping the same point.

i gave u the figures on her salary but when u keep on ignoring everything what should i say??
only thing is this is election time in india and usa should be prepared for some arrests too if charges are not dropped from their side.

I constantly remind you US labor law is totally different from what Indian wrong perception of US labor law, I need to keep on telling you US justice department don't operate under India law.

The US Attorney in this case is an INDIAN AMERICAN named Pretinder Singh Bharara and goes by nick name of Preet Bharara. Why would he be Anti Indian in this case ?

if this news is true govt must act swiftly now

this shit has been going for far too long now

By evacuating the family of the maid I think US has just shown that it does not give a sh!t about Indian Justice System and Indian Laws..

Yeah like they had any other choice..When you have gun to your head..you can't really do anything else.Pakistan is a small country..you really think it had any other option but to diffuse the tension with US?

Why would he be ashamed for enforcing a law whether he is an Indian descend and didn't show partial judgement on the case.

he is not following the law
the maid was working under the indian consulate bassed on the affidavit she herself had signed.
american law has nothing to do here

By evacuating the family of the maid I think US has just shown that it does not give a sh!t about Indian Justice System and Indian Laws..

Yeah like they had any other choice..When you have gun to your head..you can't really do anything else.Pakistan is a small country..you really think it had any other option but to diffuse the tension with US?

this makes it totally suspicious!!

when a case was pending against her in delhi high court,how can her family emigrate??

Of course Pakistan don't have other choice but US government didn't used a strong underhand to free the US diplomat, they utilized the Pakistan law to free the US diplomat.

The US D.A stated he arranged the maid family to immigrate to the US for security and safety reason.

Back
Top Bottom