What's new

Did PAF shoot down IAF Mi-17?

https://www.news18.com/news/india/w...ot-strike-hinges-on-one-question-2134039.html

“There were around three aircraft flying at that time,” says 36-year-old Fahmeeda, who was in the lawn of her house at the time of the crash.“Two jets were flying over the chopper. The Jets were very high and at a very fast speed,” she says.

Seeing the legion of fighter planes, she and the other villagers thought that a war between India and Pakistan has started. “I was looking at the sky and could see the chopper and then suddenly there was something like a shooting star that struck the tail of the chopper,” Fahmeeda recalls.

There was a huge bang. And then, another one. After that the aircraft came spiralling down. Petrified, Fahmeeda says she screamed and ran away from her house. Villagers recount the same scene in every household, people fleeing their homes frantically in search of safety.

In my opinion PAF JF-17 entered Indian occupied Kashmir and decided to shot down a chopper with pl-5 and to avoid escalation they disowned the kill credit.
I am pretty sure Indian military is not that dumb like Iranian which will engage any flying plane without proper chain of command. So thats why NO spyder system was used which btw is one of the most advance system in the world and should have one of the best friend or foe system installed.
And then IAF took a long time to finally come up with an excuse that one of its own SAM shot it down and then of course they had to court martial an imaginary IAF personnel to shift the blame.
Also the rumors we hear about PAF has only disclosed only partial of its true mission make sense now.

what u guys think?

You might be right but the reason below is absolutely ridiculous:
I am pretty sure Indian military is not that dumb like Iranian which will engage any flying plane without proper chain of command.

I thought people were on this forum because they possessed a passion for defense analysis --- for that, you need to study history and understand how the fog of war works. The Indian Air Force, just like any other military arm in the world (including America's) is perfectly capable of shooting down one of its own. The US has been involved in several friendly fire incidents (the most powerful and most advanced military in the world who train and simulate like no other + have more global war experience than any other), so why can't India or Pakistan or any other country be caught in a "blue on blue" situation? Singling out Iran in your example reeks of a strange bias.

Please brush up on your history of friendly fire incidents since the Cold War so you don't make childish arguments. The other points you made still made some sense.

To be clear, I'm not saying your conclusion isn't true --- just that your supporting arguments should be better thought out.

Cheers.

You guys are making stories on the basis of assumptions. While PAF has owned downing two Indian fighter jets, how hard was to own a helicopter too if that was the case.

https://www.news18.com/news/india/w...ot-strike-hinges-on-one-question-2134039.html

“There were around three aircraft flying at that time,” says 36-year-old Fahmeeda, who was in the lawn of her house at the time of the crash.“Two jets were flying over the chopper. The Jets were very high and at a very fast speed,” she says.

Seeing the legion of fighter planes, she and the other villagers thought that a war between India and Pakistan has started. “I was looking at the sky and could see the chopper and then suddenly there was something like a shooting star that struck the tail of the chopper,” Fahmeeda recalls.

There was a huge bang. And then, another one. After that the aircraft came spiralling down. Petrified, Fahmeeda says she screamed and ran away from her house. Villagers recount the same scene in every household, people fleeing their homes frantically in search of safety.

In my opinion PAF JF-17 entered Indian occupied Kashmir and decided to shot down a chopper with pl-5 and to avoid escalation they disowned the kill credit.
I am pretty sure Indian military is not that dumb like Iranian which will engage any flying plane without proper chain of command. So thats why NO spyder system was used which btw is one of the most advance system in the world and should have one of the best friend or foe system installed.
And then IAF took a long time to finally come up with an excuse that one of its own SAM shot it down and then of course they had to court martial an imaginary IAF personnel to shift the blame.
Also the rumors we hear about PAF has only disclosed only partial of its true mission make sense now.

what u guys think?
India / IAF accepted friendly fire incident and dismissed many officers.

Do you read news?

India / IAF accepted friendly fire incident and dismissed many officers.

Do you read news?

India initially called it a crash because of technical failure. Later they admitted it as fratricide. If PAF had downed it, Indians would've kept it as a "technical failure" forever.

But PAF seems to have shot two additional Indian jets as India admitted two crashes in March and death of IAF pilot in Kashmir in "a road accident".

But PAF seems to have shot two additional Indian jets as India admitted two crashes in March and death of IAF pilot in Kashmir in "a road accident".
Have no idea about these two other shooting but we have shot down two jets on 27th Feb...One is MIG-21 Bison and other one is Sukhoi.

We had no need to shoot down the hip. Their own AD was completely panicked with degraded situational awareness that they were willing to shoot anything and everything out of the sky.

The Indians also did not know of our JFs stand off capabilities so were assuming that UAV’s were going to be providing targeting. Finally the actions of the Mi-17 crew and the flight pattern given to them by ATC doomed them into the kill-box for the SPYDER.

Do you know which air force could it have been that were above the chopper before it was shot down? Their is a big possibility that PAF was present in that area.

what u guys think?

My friend.. confusing an enemy to shoot its own heli is a bigger achievement than shooting it yourself..

A heli is a slow moving object which can be shot down easily.. while taking over a IFF system is at another astronomical level.

Don't deny a bigger credit being awarded to you!

IMO the most mysterious part is the failure of the SPICE system to hit the targets!!! I won't buy the Indians took that much risk to hit some trees and crows....
Actually they came in, and ran really really fast back, because they knew that death is behind them.
More mysterious part is, how come they came that much into the Pakistani territory and PAF was still on ground. And PAF got in air very very late. How come we can be so negligent.

Actually they came in, and ran really really fast back, because they knew that death is behind them.
More mysterious part is, how come they came that much into the Pakistani territory and PAF was still on ground. And PAF got in air very very late. How come we can be so negligent.

Who told you that we got it late... Talking from your a$$ rather than facts. Iaf tried to enter from southern punjab as well where it was intercepted in time and forced to revert back. Similar close fly incidents were happening that time for the last 3-4 days an. P. S spice were launched within their side of the border and no way in the world paf could stop it just like Iaf against our H4s.

Last edited:
Who told you that we got it late... Talking from your a$$ rather than facts. Iaf tried to enter from southern punjab as well where it was intercepted in time and force to revert back. Similar close fly incidents were happening that time for the last 3-4 days an. P. S spice were launched within their side of the border and no way in the world paf could stop it just like Iaf against our H4s.

Good story. But, they actually came inside.

Can the second kill actually be the mi-17 and not the su-30, or was it flying too low

Back
Top Bottom