What's new

Did Dr Shakil Afridi commit treason?

no he did not commit treason,, because Osama was a terrorist and was on wanted list of both US and Pakistan,,US was actively pursuing his kill or capture and Pakistan was officially supporting US in this mission,, and above all US not only limited its efforts to just country level it also called for individual support,,so this gentleman has done awesome job and he should be rewarded by both Pakistan and America for this ,, as he has done nothing against the state,,He has in fact done it for the state,he has helped the state in his personal capacity,he should be rewarded and given a due recognition.

yes in fairness to American government they are giving the country some breathing room.....and they have ceased the whole ''do more'' mantra which became broken record at one point

lets see what happens

yes in fairness to American government they are giving the country some breathing room.....and they have ceased the whole ''do more'' mantra which became broken record at one point

lets see what happens

The key will be the US response to the Pakistan's parliamentary conclusions as to how useful this breathing room might eventually turn out to be.

no he did not commit treason,, because Osama was a terrorist and was on wanted list of both US and Pakistan,,US was actively pursuing his kill or capture and Pakistan was officially supporting US in this mission,, and above all US not only limited its efforts to just country level it also called for individual support,,so this gentleman has done awesome job and he should be rewarded by both Pakistan and America for this ,, as he has done nothing against the state,,He has in fact done it for the state,he has helped the state in his personal capacity,he should be rewarded and given a due recognition.

Hats off to the 1st Pakistani member I have seen talking sense on this topic...

There was a meeting between the US ambassador and Ms. Khar today; the parliamentary review will be completed shortly too.

it's a process.....the least they can do is apologize for Salala incident. It is well warranted, not much to ask for.

at the same time, i'm sure Pakistan will remain committed in the fight against extremism as it is indeed in our national interest to do so (something we never argued against)

it's a process.....the least they can do is apologize for Salala incident. It is well warranted, not much to ask for.

at the same time, i'm sure Pakistan will remain committed in the fight against extremism as it is indeed in our national interest to do so (something we never argued against)

I agree that an apology would help matters immensely, but, if offered, will probably be military to military at a high level, and carefully worded at that, but likely not from Obama, given that this is an election year.

I also agree with you that fighting extremism in the region is a goal that is best done conjointly as both US and Pakistani national interests coincide very clearly here.

(Holding Dr. Afridi without charges being made public is counter-productive for Pakistan with that background, to stay on topic.)

I agree that an apology would help matters immensely, but, if offered, will probably be military to military at a high level, and carefully worded at that, but likely not from Obama, given that this is an election year.

politicians beings politicians.....

politics should not get in the way of morality and decency.....over 20 of our soldiers were killed on that day; it was a very emotional and painful incident for Pakistan.

that's 20 families without a son, brother, father, etc. Nobody is even talking about the scores of Pakistani civilians (forget security forces even) killed in terrorist attacks over the past few years.

I also agree with you that fighting extremism in the region is a goal that is best done conjointly as both US and Pakistani national interests coincide very clearly here.

and that is why on issues like Al Qaeda and foreign fighter elements has NEVER BEEN AN ISSUE. ''Post-NATO'' Afghan strategy is where many opinions and strategies differed. With far fewer resources we helped kill or at least significantly reduce insurgencies in Swat, SWA, Orakzai, etc. by working with the people -- not simply bombing them to submission.

to eradicate terrorism, the US needs to understand that the regional countries must be taken into confidence to devise a collective strategy. In Afghanistan's case, you have to include Iran into this calculus as they hold much sway in the western parts.

thats a whole other subject....

these are my opinions

''Post-NATO'' Afghan strategy is where many opinions and strategies differed. ...................

to eradicate terrorism, the US needs to understand that the regional countries must be taken into confidence to devise a collective strategy................

Good points, but holding a person like Dr. Afridi that helped USA kill OBL simply does not help Pakistan's perception as an ally, does it? That is the trap that Pakistan has managed to get itself into when there was no need to do so, as this could have been easily avoided with some forethought.

Good points, but holding a person like Dr. Afridi that helped USA kill OBL simply does not help Pakistan's perception as an ally, does it? That is the trap that Pakistan has managed to get itself into when there was no need to do so, as this could have been easily avoided with some forethought.

on the face of it .. I agree with you.. we are left with scratching the poll (khamba nochna) in my personal opinion Dr was driven by greed.
when he decided to keep quiet and work for CIA

I dont think his cause was noble re capture/ death of the AQ head. so he is a fair game. question is, how much important he is for Americans to cause more rift in the already strained relations when the Afghan stability and conclusion is of much importance.

on the face of it .. I agree with you.. we are left with scratching the poll (khamba nochna) in my personal opinion Dr was driven by greed.
when he decided to keep quiet and work for CIA

I dont think his cause was noble re capture/ death of the AQ head. so he is a fair game. question is, how much important he is for Americans to cause more rift in the already strained relations when the Afghan stability and conclusion is of much importance.

Dr. Afridi is a Pakistani national, so yes, he is fair game. But please keep in mind that the calculation of how important he is in jail or free is for both sides to make, not just USA.

I would submit to you Sir that Pakistan may be right on principle but lose more by insisting on it in this case. Dr. Afridi can do Pakistan more good as a free man than in jail, if you get my point.

Back
Top Bottom