What's new

Dhi-Ain to be preserved with local help

al-Hasani

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
2lxk1aq.jpg

HERITAGE VILLAGE: The village of Dhi-Ain lies on the King Fahd Highway.

RIYADH: RASHID HASSAN

Published — Sunday 1 December 2013

Last update 1 December 2013 12:28 am

The Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities (SCTA) has joined hands with locals to preserve the village of Dhi-Ain.
The village lies on the King Fahd Highway, which links Baha province’s low-lying areas with high lands, 20 km from Baha city.
The SCTA is implementing a recreation and conservation project worth more than SR4 million for conserving Dhi-Ain's local mosque, establishing a museum and paving cobble-stone walkways.
According to the SCTA, the village is built of stone and overlooked by juniper woods of neighboring forests. Its apertures are decorated with triangle-shaped quartz.
Dhi-Ain is also home to a fortresses, which was built centuries ago.
“The SCTA seeks to preserve the village’s antiquities, which have been neglected over the past three decades and which have been subject to weather changes, by implementing recreational projects on heritage village sites,” an official said yesterday.
He said local villagers have cooperated extensively with SCTA officials to develop the heritage village.
Prince Sultan bin Salman, SCTA president, last week said: “The happiness the locals have expressed at having their age-old village redeveloped mirrors their sense of national loyalty.”
Prince Sultan addressed a press conference after laying the foundation stones for the Dhi-Ain village development project, saying: “This project is a page from our recreated historical scriptures. Dhi-Ain villagers are significantly contributing to national history. Today, we see them recreating the village’s heritage and we see them being reunited with their resplendent history.”
“Their fervency to preserve this site speaks volumes of their awareness on the importance of heritage. This has made us all the more keen to embark on this initiative,” he added.
According to the SCTA, the village lies above neighboring villages and features heritage edifices and fecund farms that thrive thanks to the village's springs.
Water is distributed among farmers according to an age-old system conceived by Dhi-Ain's forefathers.
The village is located at the foot of a white marble hill and comprises 59 houses of varying heights which are linked with several pathways that make the village pedestrian-friendly.
The local mosque is centrally located and is surrounded by houses and lemon and banana farms.
Being situated in a low-lying area, the village experiences hot summers with heavy rainfall and thunder and cold winters with occasional rainfall.
Its rainy summers are attributed to it being surrounded by mountains that help form clouds.
The Baha province also took part in the village conservation project, which included founding a model garden, constructing a village ring road and digging a channel for rainwater disposal.
Villagers established a Dhi-Ain cooperative association in 2010, which improved living conditions and drew investments to the village.
For instance, the Al-Mukhawa Governorate recently introduced lighting in the village by setting up 100 lanterns, which has boosted the village’s beauty.

Dhi-Ain to be preserved with local help | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Were you saying something bad about my hometown. :angry: No more food for you, you Najdi.:sick:

Gosh, I love the climate and the greenish landscape, not to forget the cuisine too, so yummy.:dance3:

:tup:

Indeed a very, very beautiful province with very hospital people and great, great cuisine.

@Yzd Khalifa is from Unaizah. Nice city too.

The Qassimi cuisine in general, and the cuisine of Unaizah is very famous for its delicious food, and for its renowned and tasty traditional meals such as Jereesh, Margoug, Gersan, and Metazeez.

As for sweets, along with other Qassimi sweets, the Qassimi Kleeja is a well-known sweetie all over Saudi Arabia and even the Gulf States.

Like other Saudi cities, the Najdi Kabsa is the most traditional lunch. The Yemeni Mandi is also popular as a lunch meal.

The people of Unaizah are well known for their hospitality and acceptance for people from other races and religions. The famous Charles Montagu Doughty lived in the city during his odyssey and wrote highly about the city.

Amin al-Rihani (the famous Franco-Lebanese scholar and traveler) spoke highly of the city's architecture and works of art in his book "Kings of Arabia" likening it to Paris thereby coining the nickname "Paris of Najd" for the city.[8]

Unaizah is an agricultural area and produces wheat and barley of various strains. The region also grows grapes, grapefruits, lemons,leeks, mandarins, oranges, pomegranates and dates.

Leeks (kurrat) are a very important part of the local culture of Unaizah. They are popular among the locals and comprise a significant portion of the local agricultural industry.

The 4th annual Date Season Festival was held in September 2008, giving Unaizah the distinction of hosting the largest date festival in the Gulf and the Middle East. The festival rivals the date festival of neighboring Buraydah's, which is sometimes known as "Buraydah, the City of Dates".[3]

Unaizah's 4th annual Date Festival was known as the "Unaizah International Date Festival", though the city's title "Unaizah, the Kingdom of Dates" was retained as a motto. Many people from deterrent places of the Middle East come to see this festival and buy dates because they know there is a good quality of dates.

:D

Is the Qassimi Kleeja similar to the Iraqi Kleicha?

Kleicha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@Yzd Khalifa answer.

@Doritos11 have you tasted Kleicha and know if it can be found elsewhere from Iraq and KSA?

Last edited:

Indeed a very, very beautiful province with very hospital people and great, great cuisine.

Unaizah is nice place indeed. I been there once.

@Yzd Khalifa answer.

@Doritos11 have you tasted Kleicha and know if it can be found elsewhere from Iraq?

I love Kleeja, I brought some from KSA, even my canadian friends loved it. So yummy with a cup of arabian coffee.

I love Kleeja, I brought some from KSA, even my canadian friends loved it. So yummy with a cup of arabian coffee.

I have only been in Unaizah once too. When I was 12 years old.:rofl: The distances are so big in KSA that it is not every day that you travel from the end of the country to the other.

I love it too.

I can only get the Iraqi ones here in Copenhagen but they are nearly the same. But our are bigger LOL. In general the Saudi Arabian sweets are really good. Just don't eat too many!

dglbmd.jpg

27wsl0h.png

Heritage of Saudi Arabia - Kleeja
by ibtihal alfaifi, on Flickr

Kleeja
by Bushra Alkhamees, on Flickr

I like cardamon very much too. In coffee as well.

I have only been in Unaizah once too. When I was 12 years old.:rofl: The distances are so big in KSA that it is not every day that you travel from the end of the country to the other.

I love it too.

Yes man, when I get the chance I will go there again. I heard of the new development so must go. Its going to be a nice trip though.
I can only get the Iraqi ones here in Copenhagen but they are nearly the same. But our are bigger LOL. In general the Saudi Arabian sweets are really good. Just don't eat too many!

Heritage of Saudi Arabia - Kleeja
by ibtihal alfaifi, on Flickr

Wow, Qursan too:woot: Qursan with some milk:cheesy: Easy on me man Im in Canada, they don't have them here. :angry:

Kleeja
by Bushra Alkhamees, on Flickr

I like cardamon very much too. In coffee as well.

You made me feel like I want to have some right now. It taste so good:girl_wacko:

Yes man, when I get the chance I will go there again. I heard of the new development so must go. Its going to be a nice trip though.

Wow, Qursan too:woot: Qursan with some milk:cheesy: Easy on me man Im in Canada, they don't have them here. :angry:

You made me feel like I want to have some right now. It taste so good:girl_wacko:

Yes, when I will be back I would like to visit but I really don't have ties to that city. But it is a nice one.

Yes hehe. Very good.

I am here in Denmark. There are not many Saudi Arabians. Maybe only 1000 or so. Mostly students. The Arabs here are mostly Palestinians, Iraqis, Egyptians, Lebanese (mostly all of Palestinian origins) and a few Yemenis and Moroccans. In total about 100.000 - 150.000 people. It is very hard to find Saudi Arabian cuisine here although of course many Egyptian, Iraqi and Palestinian dishes and ingredients are similar or sometimes even the same. For example the Iraqi kleeja to name just one of the many similar Arab dishes.

The Arab community is good here. I buy my Arabic food at their places. Look like those below:

fdw1fk.jpg

125s1me.jpg

But I am sure that you have many more Saudi Arabians and Arabs in Canada and better places to buy local food. You should be able to buy qursan in Canada, no?

CHECK this out my friend:

2ew2s91.jpg

Gulf House (842 Yonge St.): Arabian food in Toronto

The article is less than 2 weeks old. You must visit if nearby.

I have never been to Canada so I do not know anything just made google search.

One of the comments below the article:
Bettie Martindale
I’m an old lady now but way back in the mid-1950s, when I was a teenager, I lived for a couple of years with my English parents just outside Doha, at Umm Said, in Qatar. The place, the region and the people have forever lived in my heart. I passed by this restaurant a couple of weeks ago and seeing it tugged at my heartstrings. Welcome. I wish you great joy and success.

Qatar? Really?o_O:tsk::lol::D

Last edited:
Yes, when I will be back I would like to visit but I really don't have ties to that city. But it is a nice one.

Ask @Yzd Khalifa if he will be your guidance:lol:

I am here in Denmark. There are not many Saudi Arabians. Maybe only 1000 or so. Mostly students. The Arabs here are mostly Palestinians, Iraqis, Egyptians, Lebanese (mostly all of Palestinian origins) and a few Yemenis and Moroccans. In total about 100.000 - 150.000 people. It is very hard to find Saudi Arabian cuisine here although of course many Egyptian, Iraqi and Palestinian dishes and ingredients are similar or sometimes even the same. For example the Iraqi kleeja to name just one of the many similar Arab dishes.

Not that bad quite fair community, Sounds fun.

The Arab community is good here. I buy my Arabic food at their places. Look like those below:

fdw1fk.jpg

125s1me.jpg

Oh yeah, they sell these kind of things but not by weight though.

Hmmmm nice, so you got some good stuff over there buddy huh!

But I am sure that you have many more Saudi Arabians and Arabs in Canada and better places to buy local food. You should be able to buy qursan in Canada, no?

Yes sir but Qursan I doubt they sell it over here.

CHECK this out my friend:

2ew2s91.jpg

Gulf House (842 Yonge St.): Arabian food in Toronto

The article is less than 2 weeks old. You must visit if nearby.

Yes, Looks interesting, definitely will do 7abibi never knew about it ,thanx for telling. I'll let know how it will goes.

I have never been to Canada so I do not know anything just made google search.

I would recommend it, a nice place and friendly people. It will be a great idea if you get the chance to pay a visit.

One of the comments below the article:

Qatar? Really?o_O:tsk::lol::D

:nana: <<<<-------------<] ;);););););) only if you get what I mean:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ask @Yzd Khalifa if he will be your guidance:lol:

Not that bad quite fair community, Sounds fun.

Oh yeah, they sell these kind of things but not by weight though.

Hmmmm nice, so you got some good stuff over there buddy huh!

Yes sir but Qursan I doubt they sell it over here.

Yes, Looks interesting, definitely will do 7abibi never knew about it ,thanx for telling. I'll let know how it will goes.

I would recommend it, a nice place and friendly people. It will be a great idea if you get the chance to pay a visit.

:nana: <<<<-------------<] ;);););););) only if you get what I mean:rofl::rofl::rofl:

@Yzd Khalifa, time to showcase and promote your beautiful and ancient hometown.;)

Yes, the Arab community is close here and very open towards other Arabs. We the foreign Muslim students are often doing arrangements/meetings with the Muslim organizations here. So it is all good.

Really? I thought Toronto, being enormous city, had that.
Man, you need to look out for it or convince some of the Saudi Arabian ladies to do some cooking.:rofl:

Yes, you definitely should. I would be a guest every day or second day. Give a review once you have tried it.

LOL, LOL. Yes, I know what you are referring to haha.

:nana::raise::astagh: >>>>>>>>>>>>>:lol:

Last edited:
@Yzd Khalifa

I think that you have forgotten something. You are a wanted man in this thread. Better show up.:tsk:

You have some explaining to do in relation to not being able to promote your home city to your fellow countrymen and others that have, are and will be watching this thread.

I am very disappointed.

I am sure that @Arabian Legend is just as disappointed. Unfortunately it seems to me that just because we are not Najdis that you have ignored us completely.

Actually, I visited Al-Baha, and was surprised how beautiful it was.

Maybe our politicians need to grow some ball to en-green the rest of the South.
Were you saying something bad about my hometown. :angry: No more food for you, you Najdi.:sick:

Gosh, I love the climate and the greenish landscape, not to forget the cuisine too, so yummy.:dance3:

Better than Taif hah? :lol:?
Yes, it lies in the beautiful Al-Baha province.

@Arabian Legend ;)

:D

@Yzd Khalifa answer.

@Doritos11 have you tasted Kleicha and know if it can be found elsewhere from Iraq and KSA?

I don't think Saudi's Kelchia is similar to Iraq's :what:

BTW, In Riyadh they sell some Kelchia filled with toffee, they call it Dutch Kelchia :lol:

Only been once to Unaizah during Dad's relative funeral, it is way developed than any city in Qassim!

What town :lol: I only lived in Riyadh :lol:
@Yzd Khalifa, time to showcase and promote your beautiful and ancient hometown.;)

Yes, the Arab community is close here and very open towards other Arabs. We the foreign Muslim students are often doing arrangements/meetings with the Muslim organizations here. So it is all good.

Really? I thought Toronto, being enormous city, had that.
Man, you need to look out for it or convince some of the Saudi Arabian ladies to do some cooking.:rofl:

Yes, you definitely should. I would be a guest every day or second day. Give a review once you have tried it.

LOL, LOL. Yes, I know what you are referring to haha.

:nana::raise::astagh: >>>>>>>>>>>>>:lol:

Why am I wanted :woot:?
@Yzd Khalifa

I think that you have forgotten something. You are a wanted man in this thread. Better show up.:tsk:

You have some explaining to do in relation to not being able to promote your home city to your fellow countrymen and others that have, are and will be watching this thread.

I am very disappointed.

I am sure that @Arabian Legend is just as disappointed. Unfortunately it seems to me that just because we are not Najdis that you have ignored us completely.

I'm chillin' with papa in hooters, please do promote it on my behalf :cheers:

Easy on legend, he's as Riyadh(ian) as I'm :lol: Thus, he's somewhat related to Njd.

Last edited:
Actually, I visited Al-Baha, and was surprised how beautiful it was.

Maybe our politicians need to grow some ball to en-green the rest of the South.

Better than Taif hah? :lol:?

I don't think Saudi's Kelchia is similar to Iraq's :what:

BTW, In Riyadh they sell some Kelchia filled with toffee, they call it Dutch Kelchia :lol:

Only been once to Unaizah during Dad's relative funeral, it is way developed than any city in Qassim!

What town :lol: I only lived in Riyadh :lol:

Why am I wanted :woot:?

I'm chillin' with papa in hooters, please do promote it on my behalf :cheers:

Easy on legend, he's as Riyadh(ian) as I'm :lol: Thus, he's somewhat related to Njd.

Bro, plenty of the South is green. Be it forests, agricultural areas or tropical fauna. The Al-Bahah province is a gem and so are the Jazan, Najran and Asir provinces.

Let alone the greatest of them all, (region more likely) Hijaz.:victory1::yay:

They do need to grow a pair but on other fields mostly.:lol:

LOL, I am not from Ta'if. I do have relatives there tough. I am a Makkawi that grew up mostly in Jeddah. So a Makkawi-Jeddahwi mixture.

Well, more or less the same ingredients and name. Just differ a bit in taste and size. I prefer our it has to be said.

:lol: Heard something similar.

Well, I thought you would promote your father's hometown a bit, that was all.;)

What the hell does "I'm chillin' with papa in hooters" mean?:D

I can't hide the fact that I have ancestral ties to Najd as well but they are a few generations back. So I am slightly evil too!

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom