What's new

Development Ideas for South Asia

Azizam

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
Post any development idea or success stories from South Asia or elsewhere and how they can be related and adapted by South Asia on this thread. Also, remember to be humble and avoid using provocative language.

step 1:
Condoms.jpg

I was expecting something more like this:

Singapore used a concept called "garden city" for beatification and reduce pollution. Such a concept would be helpful for cities like Mumbai where there's high pollution.

Singapore used a concept called "garden city" for beatification and reduce pollution. Such a concept would be helpful for cities like Mumbai where there's high pollution.

It's true though, it's difficult to do anything when crowding and overpopulation ruins any beautification projects. This won't help Sri Lanka though, our birth rate has fallen to barely replacement level.

What we need is education, nothing else will do anything permanent. We need strong research institutions and a culture of research, development and entrepreneurship.

It's true though, it's difficult to do anything when crowding and overpopulation ruins any beautification projects. This won't help Sri Lanka though, our birth rate has fallen to barely replacement level.

What we need is education, nothing else will do anything permanent. We need strong research institutions and a culture of research, development and entrepreneurship.
To change that we need educated people. Sri Lanka from top to bottom is dominated by idiots who only have their talk to offer. Nothing else. It's a viscous cycle that seems to drag on and on.

Mumbai is one of the least polluted mega cities in the world

Delhi has huge pollution but it is mainly due to the 50,000 trucks which enter at night.A bypass is being built to prevent them from entering and reduce pollution.

lol ok but it would be helpful if you tell us how you are going to convince people to use them.
I am amazed to see Iranian example despite being ruled by conservative Mullah :-)lol) they support birth control with full motivation now with decreasing birth rate in alarming rate they are encouraging people to produce more babies (which are still failed).

This is regarding the building of the new capital of Andhra Pradesh(a coastal state in South India) Amaravati:-

Andhra CM lays foundation stone of new capital Amaravati today

Thanks to the bifurcation of the big erstwhile state of Andhra Pradesh into Telangana & Andhra Pradesh(which is much smaller) & the incompetent handling of thie bifurcation at the centre & by both parties.

The smaller state of Andhra Pradesh(compared to the erstwhile bigger one) has been left without a capital & will have to start all over again!
Thankfully the state has a very ambitious,smart & visionary CM who is determined to build a grand capital!!

The capital has been named Amaravati [The Abode of the immortals] taking into consideration the strong historical Buddhist heritage of the area.
Amaravati is also known to be the capital of Swargaloka(Heaven) where Indra dev, the king of the Devas rules from.[From a mythological/historical point of view]

Amaravati was also the capital of the Satavahanas & many other kingdoms which were based in this region! The Satavahanas were Hindus & were tolerant of both Hinduism & Buddhism

An entire new city will be constructed from ground all over again, it is not a part/extension of other cities!!
On the contrary, the surrounding cities & towns will be consumed by this city

The Masterplan of this city will be provided by the govt. of Singapore & by the consulting companies :- Surbana International consultants & Jurong International

Funding to build the capital can be expected from the State & Central Govt., Indian corporates, & in the form of investments from many East Asian companies & industries:-

Defence.pk discussions on Amaravati below:-
1.Andhra CM lays foundation stone of new capital Amaravati today
2.Singapore delivers phase 1 of masterplan for new capital city for India's Andhra Pradesh

http://www.eenadu.net/document.pdf (govt. document)

Singapore presents master plan for Amaravati | Business Line

Amaravathi Master Plan to Guide Development up to 2050

First look at draft of Andhra Pradesh capital master plan | Deccan Chronicle

Andhra Pradesh releases master plan for its capital Amaravathi - Livemint

g_AP_meetings_web.jpg

The newest capital in the country incorporates the concepts of Vastu and Feng Shui, the Indian and Chinese sciences of construction, touches three national highways, and will be fed by seven growth corridors including those from Hyderabad to Machlipatnam Port and from Chennai to Visakhapatnam.

The plan envisages creating 5.6 million jobs in the capital and its environs that will be home to 13.5 million people by 2050.
“The master plan will guide the development of Amaravathi up to 2050,” said S. Iswaran, a minister in Singapore Prime Minister’s office and second minister for trade and industry.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Azizam Is this satisfactory enough to be on this thread? Does this meet your standards?

To change that we need educated people. Sri Lanka from top to bottom is dominated by idiots who only have their talk to offer. Nothing else. It's a viscous cycle that seems to drag on and on.
DOn't worry you are not the only nation in South Asia to suffer from this problem(Bhutan could be the only possible exception).

Those from India, Pakistan,Bangladesh & Nepal can understand your feelings & what you mean.

We all suffer from a serious problem of terrible,incompetent & corrupt leaders. Many of whom would be better comedians than administrators

First and foremost, AWESOME Thread @Azizam , thank you so much for tagging me and inviting me. Had to really think about some projects for South Asia because there's just so much that comes to mind. There are four themes that do come to mind:

1. Energy Development
  2. Public Transportation Infrastructure Development
  3. Health System Infrastructure Development
  4. Tourism Industry Development

Let's start a discussion regarding these four themes?

Bro,

Don't be so pessimistic , your country has achieved so much in such a short time. And in regards to Sri Lanka, I had the privilege in doing a report on Sri Lanka development post-civil war , revolving on ethnic relations and the rebuilding initiatives of Southern and Northern Sri Lanka. To which i had the privilege in working with Tamil as well as Sinhalese Sri Lankans and to hear their side of the story --- and you knwo what i really admire about Sri Lanka? That despite there are differences between the Tamil and Sinhalese communities, both sides love and do honestly want to see the progress of Sri Lankan society. Even the one colleague, a Tamil Sri Lankan, who i had interviewed, despite the challenges affecting his community during the civil war, he referred to himself time and time again as a "Sri Lankan Tamil". When I asked him if he was a Tamil, he corrected me, "No, I am a Sri Lankan, a Tamil Sri Lankan."

Therein is the reason for the recent success of Sri Lanka post-civil war. There is even a sense of inclusivity and a culture of rehabilitation in your country. This is why Sri Lanka, despite recovering from a bloody civil war, has a GDP of $80 Billion, a GDP per capita of $3900 , which, by the way, is larger than India's, Pakistan's, Bangladesh, Indonesia's, The Philippines', Vietnam's, Cambodia's, Laos', Timore Leste.

Don't be pessimistic, bro. Your country, Sri Lanka, is moving in the right direction. It has achieved so much in such a short time, and she will continue to grow. Your nation has a stalwart partner in Japan , which will continue to invest in your beautiful island country. Your country has many friends. :)

Bangladesh has a project now, one home one farm. In the past it was black Bengal goat project. Also BD micro finance idea changed the world. These are all to get rid of poverty. Also to birth control. We have social awareness program which encourage people to have two child or tell them one child is the best. Education is the best thing which will change this region. BD has done some hard work in disaster management, food security and basic healthcare. As all these are done. We can now easily look for other development areas such as these,

1. Energy Development

This video is maade in 2010, where it showed about our future development goals, many achieved and many more on the way.

Bro,

Don't be so pessimistic , your country has achieved so much in such a short time. And in regards to Sri Lanka, I had the privilege in doing a report on Sri Lanka development post-civil war , revolving on ethnic relations and the rebuilding initiatives of Southern and Northern Sri Lanka. To which i had the privilege in working with Tamil as well as Sinhalese Sri Lankans and to hear their side of the story --- and you knwo what i really admire about Sri Lanka? That despite there are differences between the Tamil and Sinhalese communities, both sides love and do honestly want to see the progress of Sri Lankan society. Even the one colleague, a Tamil Sri Lankan, who i had interviewed, despite the challenges affecting his community during the civil war, he referred to himself time and time again as a "Sri Lankan Tamil". When I asked him if he was a Tamil, he corrected me, "No, I am a Sri Lankan, a Tamil Sri Lankan."

Therein is the reason for the recent success of Sri Lanka post-civil war. There is even a sense of inclusivity and a culture of rehabilitation in your country. This is why Sri Lanka, despite recovering from a bloody civil war, has a GDP of $80 Billion, a GDP per capita of $3900 , which, by the way, is larger than India's, Pakistan's, Bangladesh, Indonesia's, The Philippines', Vietnam's, Cambodia's, Laos', Timore Leste.

Don't be pessimistic, bro. Your country, Sri Lanka, is moving in the right direction. It has achieved so much in such a short time, and she will continue to grow. Your nation has a stalwart partner in Japan , which will continue to invest in your beautiful island country. Your country has many friends. :)
Thanks for your kind words @Nihonjin1051. The point I always try to make is that Sri Lanka could be a lot more efficient if the people themselves maintain the attitude of prioritising the important tasks and keeping the rest in the back-burner for a while and the other is that people themselves should play an important role in the process of development rather than expecting the government to do everything. I think it's the same point what @NGV-H tried to make with the culture of R & D and entrepreneurship. To give you an example, in the UK since a very early age, we are always encouraged to think "out of the box" and put our different ideas into action and there are enough institutions to support such ideas. Therefore, the people themselves here play an important role in the well-being of the country and for that reason, London is considered as one of the most innovative cities in the world.

Well, racial-harmony in Sri Lanka is indeed improving. Tamils or any other ethnic minority is not viewed as an outsider if the individual engages in serving Sri Lanka's interests. Tamils lead many sports teams as well and they need to be represented in politics as "Sri Lankans" not as Tamils or Sinhalese. Overall, I hope the economic growth continues and the foreign policy diversifies while keeping Sri Lanka's interests at the forefront.

I am very happy to see that Japanese investments recently increased sharply.

First and foremost, AWESOME Thread @Azizam , thank you so much for tagging me and inviting me. Had to really think about some projects for South Asia because there's just so much that comes to mind. There are four themes that do come to mind:

1. Energy Development

Let's start a discussion regarding these four themes?
Sure, the kind of discussion I am looking for is how to develop such fields while facing the unique challenges in South Asia. Take public transportation for instance, many major cities in South Asia has to restructure its city bus routes to create an organised system. In places like Colombo, buses are also run privately so how would such a network affect private bus services?

Back
Top Bottom