What's new

Developing China's Soft Power

Two power ideas from posters here, at least in my opinion, one, is to promote the soft power of China in China itself and secondly the question of how to promote it abroad, if I may suggest, promote family, piety, meritocracy in Asia as "Asian Values"

Soft power can be projected domestically by sharing the economic profits with community and families which are basis of Asian Value.

To be avoided are keeping of profit within a corporate entity or among its shareholders. Keeping profit to oneself and ignore the welfare of others create many ills, like the widening gap between rich and poor, anger against rich people and government etc.

China and her corporate companies should give back some profits to community projects, scholarships for poor students, environment improvements, built medical facilities, training colleges and universities etc. Many of these thing are already undertaken by Hong Kong Chinese and Malaysian Chinese, with donation from rich and ordinary people.

Soft power can be projected domestically by sharing the economic profits with community and families which are basis of Asian Value.

So, healthy, more egalitarian, more dignified lives, with a greater emphasis on achievement, where achievement is not just individual but also expressed with relation to the community.

I love the idea of scholarships and medical schools and training colleges like polytechnic built by corporate donations

Soft power can be projected domestically by sharing the economic profits with community...To be avoided are keeping of profit within a corporate entity or among its shareholders. Keeping profit to oneself and ignore the welfare of others create many ills -
Wow, there are some Communists left in China after all! I once talked to someone who claimed to have been a Red Guard. He said the job of his group was to roam the streets and make sure peasants turned in their produce, down to the last morsel of grain:

"What did you do with the grain you confiscated from delinquent peasants?" I asked.

"We ate it ourselves!" he responded.

That is how the economic profits of the peasant were shared under Communism.

Wow, there are some Communists left in China after all! I once talked to someone who claimed to have been a Red Guard. He said the job of his group was to roam the streets and make sure peasants turned in their produce, down to the last morsel of grain:

"What did you do with the grain you confiscated from delinquent peasants?" I asked.

"We ate it ourselves!" he responded.

That is how the economic profits of the peasant were shared under Communism.

Most of the violent red guards in the 1960's converted to feverish anti-Chinese racism and pro-Americanism in the 1980's. It's not because of their ideology, it's because they're just stupid and violent people.

Also, they must have led very boring lives to eat only grain and nothing else.

It's not because of their ideology, it's because they're just stupid and violent people.

Agree with that 100%.

Back in the 60s and 70s you should be thankful if you have something to eat. Grains were a luxury back then.

I needed to ask one thing to my chinese friends, was the eating with chopsticks tradition started by Japanese or Chinese, or anyone else?
I like having my noodles with chopsticks, so wanted to know who should be credited for its invention.

I needed to ask one thing to my chinese friends, was the eating with chopsticks tradition started by Japanese or Chinese, or anyone else?
I like having my noodles with chopsticks, so wanted to know who should be credited for its invention.

Chopsticks originated in China. Japan, like Korea and Vietnam, learned to use chop-sticks from the Chinese. There are, however, many differences amongst chopsticks of various countries. Japanese chopsticks have sharper tips than those in China, for example, since they are better suited for picking out fishbones.

Chopsticks originated in China. Japan, like Korea and Vietnam, learned to use chop-sticks from the Chinese. There are, however, many differences amongst chopsticks of various countries. Japanese chopsticks have sharper tips than those in China, for example, since they are better suited for picking out fishbones.
Do you know how to use a fork yet?

Most of the violent red guards in the 1960's converted to feverish anti-Chinese racism and pro-Americanism in the 1980's. It's not because of their ideology, it's because they're just stupid and violent people.

I've always been struck by how many former red guards became pro-democracy activists...

Not properly lol. Not that I am a good chopstick user either.
Since I learned how to use chopsticks, I expect you to learn how to use cutlery. We Americans have a saying, "Learning to eat pie with a fork" - it's all about marketing, the adjustments you have to practice to be acceptable to prospective customers.

(Gee, this discussion makes me HUNGRY! Sesame chicken and fried rice for dinner tonight. Will eat it with chopsticks, of course.)

Back
Top Bottom