What's new

Despite U.S. Sanctions, Iran Expands Its Nuclear Stockpile

Philosopher

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Two years after President Donald Trump announced the U.S withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal, Tehran has resumed its enrichment of uranium, restarted research and development on advanced centrifuges, and expanded its stockpile of nuclear fuel, cutting in half the time it would need to produce enough weapons-grade fuel to build a nuclear bomb.

“Iran is manifestly closer to being able to produce a nuclear weapon than they were two years ago,” said Richard Nephew, who participated in negotiations on the landmark nuclear deal in 2015.

While there is no evidence Tehran is preparing a dash for a nuclear weapon, the Iranian advances raise questions about the success of the White House’s so-called “maximum pressure” campaign, which is aimed at forcing Iran through the imposition of ever more stringent sanctions to accept greater constraints on its political and military support for regional militias and the development of its ballistic missile program.

The effort—which has severely damaged Iran’s economy—has yet to temper Iran’s nuclear ambitions, instead prompting Tehran to resume nuclear activities prohibited by the nuclear pact, which is formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, or JCPOA. It has also eroded Washington’s credibility even among many of its traditional allies and placed increasing strains on America’s diplomatic partnerships.

This month, the U.S. State Department publicly unveiled a diplomatic effort to secure a tangible result from its pressure campaign in the run-up to the U.S. presidential election—an agreement by the U.N. Security Council to extend a conventional arms embargo that is scheduled to expire on Oct. 18, just weeks before the election. Back in February, the United States privately circulated elements of a draft Security Council resolution extending the arms embargo to Britain, France, and Germany, hoping to rally support for the initiative.

The United States received a chilly response from the Europeans, who argued that the resolution was all but certain to be vetoed by China and Russia, which plan to sell arms to Iran once the embargo expires. The Europeans say they share Washington’s concerns about Iran’s ballistic missile programs and its support for proxies, including Hezbollah and other militias spread across the Middle East. But they fault Washington with undermining a landmark nuclear pact that enjoyed broad international support and which they believed had succeeded in constraining Tehran’s nuclear program, until the United States ditched it.

Last week, Brian Hook, the U.S. special envoy for Iran, warned that if the council failed to agree to extend the embargo, Washington could deliver a potentially lethal blow to the nuclear agreement by triggering a provision that would allow any of the initial seven signatories to reimpose—or snap back—all Iran sanctions, including the conventional arms embargo, that were in force before the nuclear pact was concluded. Iran has warned that if the sanctions are reimposed, it will likely pull out of the nuclear pact, end international inspections of its nuclear energy program, and withdraw from the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.

trump-iran-sanctions-nuclear-GettyImages-956113088.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump holds up a memorandum at the White House in Washington that reinstates sanctions on Iran after he announced his decision to withdraw the United States from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal on May 8, 2018. CHIP SOMODEVILLA/GETTY IMAGES

Such a move by Washington would raise complex political, diplomatic, and legal questions about whether the United States, which withdrew its participation in the nuclear deal on May 8, 2018, has the legal right or the moral authority to trigger the snapback provision. Under the terms of U.N. Security Council Resolution 2231, which endorsed the nuclear deal, any participant in the nuclear pact has the right to single-handedly snap back the previous sanctions. Trump administration officials contend that while the United States is no longer a participant in the nuclear deal, it still retains all the rights of a participant under the resolution, which has never been overturned. And they intend to exercise that right if they don’t get their way.

“There is no qualification in 2231 where ‘participant’ is defined in a way to require participation in the JCPOA. And if the drafters wanted to make the qualification, they could have, but they did not,” Hook told reporters on April 30. “This is the plain reading of the text.”

“The arms embargo must be renewed, and we will exercise all diplomatic options to accomplish that,” Hook said. “We have a policy goal of renewing the arms embargo, and that’s where our focus is. We’re hopeful that we’ll succeed.”

John Bellinger III, who served as the principal legal advisor to the National Security Council and the State Department during the George W. Bush administration, said the United States can make a credible legal case for reimposing sanctions but that the outcome could prove self-defeating.

“The U.S. has the right to trigger snapback, but they may ultimately not be effective in achieving what they want to achieve,” he said, warning that states may be disinclined to observe such sanctions. “There is a real risk it could backfire if the other countries are unwilling to go along. If you try to lead but no one will follow, you have not been successful, and the U.S. will have fractured the Security Council.”

“If you try to lead but no one will follow, you have not been successful, and the U.S. will have fractured the Security Council.”

“I suspect, at the end of the day, the Security Council will be forced on a purely legal basis to conclude we have the right to submit the resolution [triggering snapback],” Nephew said. “The debate will split the council as a point of fact because you will have the French, Brits, and Germans screaming that we are not doing this in good faith and the Russians and the Chinese will lose their minds on this.” The practical outcome of this approach, he said, is that the Chinese and Russians will cry foul and declare the action illegitimate. “I have no doubt they will sell arms and will do so immediately. Those tanks that [U.S. Secretary of State Mike] Pompeo is so concerned about could be put on the next boat.”

European officials have fumed in private over the latest U.S. threat, which they suspect is designed to kill off the nuclear pact. They view Washington’s legalistic approach as inconsistent and hypocritical, noting that the very resolution being invoked by the United States to reimpose sanctions also calls on states to support the implementation of the nuclear pact. One senior European official also pointed out that a key provision in the U.N. Charter, Article 25, states that “the Members of the United Nations agree to accept and carry out the decisions of the Security Council in accordance with the present Charter”—a provision that the United States has ignored.

The Iran Deal Is Not Dead Yet, but It’s Getting There
Europe’s decision to start the dispute settlement process may set the clock ticking on the deal’s ultimate demise.

The U.S. strategy is “legally and politically obscene,” a U.N.-based diplomat privately told the International Crisis Group.

Russia has said publicly what some of its European partners are saying privately.

The U.S. strategy is “legally and politically obscene,” a U.N.-based diplomat privately told the International Crisis Group.

“Their reasoning is ludicrous, of course,” Mikhail Ulyanov, Russia’s ambassador to the U.N. in Vienna, said in an interview with the Russian newspaper Kommersant published on April 28. “It is common knowledge that Washington officially announced its withdrawal from the nuclear deal on May 8, 2018.”

“Theoretically, an attempt of this sort is possible, but it will make the U.S. appear in an extremely unattractive light,” he added. “I don’t think that the U.N. Security Council members would be ready to support the U.S. bid to remain a JCPOA participant. It is clear to everybody that this is preposterous. … The attempt to implement this plan will cause a lot of harm and lead to stormy debates in the U.N. Security Council.”

Democratic lawmakers who supported the JCPOA chided the administration for withdrawing from it in the first place and then later trying to use the deal to advance its goals. “They’re trying to have it both ways,” one Democratic congressional aide said.

Nevertheless, a bipartisan majority in Congress—including some of Trump’s most stalwart critics on the left—supports extending the Iran arms embargo. Hundreds of House lawmakers from both sides signed on to a letter to Pompeo last month urging an extension of the ban. “[W]e are concerned that the ban’s expiration will lead to more states buying and selling weapons to and from Iran. … This could have disastrous consequences for U.S. national security and our regional allies,” read the letter, which was organized by Reps. Eliot Engel and Michael McCaul, the chairman and the top Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, respectively.

“It’s now just several months out where China, Russia, other countries from around the world can all sell significant conventional weapons systems to the Iranians in October of this year,” Pompeo told reporters in a briefing last week. “This isn’t far off. This isn’t some fantasy by conservatives. This is a reality.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/05/08/iran-advances-nuclear-program-withdrawal-jcpoa/

The nuclear agreement never changed the nature of the Americans and Europeans as it pertains to Iran. The fundamental ideological differences between these nations still remain, meaning these games will continue to play out. Had the nuclear agreement worked out perfectly with all sides abiding and so on, then a second after the agreement expired, everything would be back to square one. As far as the west is concerned, the deal was just kicking the can down the road in the hope that by the time it expires, there would be a major change in the Iranian establishment, instrumental by a potential death of its leader. This is because they understand, there is no stopping the Iranian program, but only buying time. Then here comes Mr Trump with his quixotic obsession of a "better deal" and the deal is all but terminated.

The unfortunate reality for the west is this, should the deal collapse and things start anew and new negotiations even happen, then they will be dealing with an Iran with a vastly more advanced and larger nuclear program and an Iran which is no longer part of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). In the end, the have given Iran the excuse to expand its nuclear program.

and an Iran which is no longer part of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). In the end, the have given Iran the excuse to expand its nuclear program.
What are the chances for this to really happen ? I know Rouhani said he will but is it realistic ? What are Khamenei's views on this ?

What are the chances for this to really happen ? I know Rouhani said he will but is it realistic ? What are Khamenei's views on this ?

Chances of both are guaranteed in my mind. Even not focusing on the fact these are words we have seen from Iran itself, the alternatives to what I outlined in my original comment would not make much sense.

At this point rouhani has nothing further to offer politically.He is a lame duck president on the "fag end" of his final term,his policy of "dialogue between civilisations" was a manifest failure for which he had neither back up plan nor political alternative.

This all speculation on my part, but I sincerely believe that both the 'maximum pressure' campaign and Soleimani's killing has convinced the system to go nuclear. Both evens have exposed Iran's lack of options with regards to the degree of escalation it could optimally project. While Iran has managed to acquire an impressive feat of conventional military capabilities that has established a profound sense of deterrence among its competitors, it lacks the ultimate degree of strategic deterrence that nuclear weapons provide.

If my hypothesis is correct, Iran has already outlined a strategy to go fully nuclear, only waiting for a favourable geopolitical environment to execute it.

Yes,I know.It was a counter to samuel huntingtons 1993 "clash of civilizations" theory,which in turn was his riposte to fukuyamas naive "end of history" theory.
None the less I happen to think its a very apt description of rouhanis political policies as far as the west was concerned,unless of course you prefer the far less nice sounding "appeasement",which I think could also be considered as an accurate description of his policies towards the west.

This all speculation on my part, but I sincerely believe that both the 'maximum pressure' campaign and Soleimani's killing has convinced the system to go nuclear. Both evens have exposed Iran's lack of options with regards to the degree of escalation it could optimally project. While Iran has managed to acquire an impressive feat of conventional military capabilities that has established a profound sense of deterrence among its competitors, it lacks the ultimate degree of strategic deterrence that nuclear weapons provide.

If my hypothesis is correct, Iran has already outlined a strategy to go fully nuclear, only waiting for a favourable geopolitical environment to execute it.
I agree.
Once again the wests seeming utter inability to learn from its past mistakes seems destined to lead it to bring about the very thing it claimed that it wanted so badly to avoid.:tsk:

Well it cant get really more simple than it is. Either Iran goes full nuclear or it risks being played around strategically and militarily by the US. Just a few months ago Trump threatened to blow up Khamenei's house (it is a part of IR cultural sites - Hajizadeh confirmed it on tv) and effectively treating him as some kind of powerless warlord comparable to Gadaffi.

Unfortunately all of recent events were made possible just because IR lacks any serious deterring tool. The capability to turn Washington or New York into a glowing wasteland should immediately checkmate these yankees and seriously turn the tables.

I hope Khamenei really pushes for weaponization of Iran's nuclear program. Even if he considers them as haram he should give room for the development of tactical nukes. I have said it before and i will say it again, there is a serious risk of ''regime change'' after his death. A reliable successor + capable nuclear weapon program will give the estabilishment a serious boost and prevent the country from ever getting threatened by the yankees and maintain its indepence gained through sweat and blood.

Well it cant get really more simple than it is. Either Iran goes full nuclear or it risks being played around strategically and militarily by the US. Just a few months ago Trump threatened to blow up Khamenei's house (it is a part of IR cultural sites - Hajizadeh confirmed it on tv) and effectively treating him as some kind of powerless warlord comparable to Gadaffi.

Not only that. Both Israel and the US have implicitly threatened Iran with nuclear armageddon in case of war.

Here, Netanyahu visiting Israel's nuclear facilities at Dimona and issuing a veiled threat:

At Dimona reactor, Netanyahu warns Israel's foes they risk ruin

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu used a visit to a secretive Israeli atomic reactor on Wednesday to warn the country’s enemies that it has the means to destroy them, in what appeared to be a veiled reference to its assumed nuclear arsenal.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rns-israels-foes-they-risk-ruin-idUSKCN1LE270

Nuke experts: It’s not too soon to worry if Trump may use nuclear weapons against Iran and end 75 years of non-use

Trump has ratcheted up his rhetoric on Twitter in kind. The president said he might not only attack Iranian cultural sites – which could be a war crime, according to the United Nations – but also retaliate “in a disproportionate manner.”

Trump made such comments atop years’ worth of others that have alarmed those concerned with the proliferation and use of nuclear weapons.

https://www.businessinsider.nl/trum...r-consequences-2020-1?international=true&r=US

US president says war would be 'end' of Iran as tensions rise

US President Donald Trump has issued a stern warning to Iran, suggesting it will be destroyed if a conflict breaks out between the two countries.

"If Iran wants to fight, that will be the official end of Iran," he said in a tweet on Sunday. "Never threaten the United States again!"

Iran will go fully nuclear, and the West can only blame themselves.

Not only that. Both Israel and the US have implicitly threatened Iran with nuclear armageddon in case of war.

Here, Netanyahu visiting Israel's nuclear facilities at Dimona and issuing a veiled threat:

At Dimona reactor, Netanyahu warns Israel's foes they risk ruin

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rns-israels-foes-they-risk-ruin-idUSKCN1LE270

Nuke experts: It’s not too soon to worry if Trump may use nuclear weapons against Iran and end 75 years of non-use

https://www.businessinsider.nl/trum...r-consequences-2020-1?international=true&r=US

US president says war would be 'end' of Iran as tensions rise

Iran will go fully nuclear, and the West can only blame themselves.
This is a recent video of Khamenei stating that nukes are useless. For sure it has to be before the assassination of Soleimani and the US threat of bombing Khamenei himself.

I believe it is a crime against Iran to withhold the country from building any nukes.

This is a recent video of Khamenei stating that nukes are useless. For sure it has to be before the assassination of Soleimani and the US threat of bombing Khamenei himself.

I believe it is a crime against Iran to withhold the country from building any nukes.

Mao said that nukes are a paper tiger. I agree in that assessment. But they would help Iran stand up with its back straight.

Almost Zero.

Iran will never leave Nuclear deal. Iran doesn’t have the guts for such a action. While hardcore elements of the Republic would support this. Iran is a mafia society made up of tens of “Dons and supporting families”. Thus the number one rule to any Mafia is self preservation of la Familia.

Leaving NPT is way too radical and would bring that self preservation to the forefront. Iran’s moves have always been climb the escalation ladder, but never reach the top.

If there was any doubts about this one should look further than the retribution Iran did following Solemani assassination. Despite all the tough talk. All Iran did was fire some missiles at an Iraqi military base while avoiding casualties and giving many hours warning and showing its TELs missile preparation to US spy satellites days in advance. Iran did all it could to save face, but not start a war.

Thus with an arms embargo and SnapBack sanctions iran would merely do what it is doing now, it would increase nuclear activity, reinstall Fordow centrifuges, maybe build a new Fordow like nuclear facilty, but at the same time allow nuclear inspectors and give full transparency all the while crying wolf. That way it can keep Europe and Russia and China from running to the US.

Almost Zero.

Iran will never leave Nuclear deal. Iran doesn’t have the guts for such a action. While hardcore elements of the Republic would support this. Iran is a mafia society made up of tens of “Dons and supporting families”. Thus the number one rule to any Mafia is self preservation of la Familia.

Leaving NPT is way too radical and would bring that self preservation to the forefront. Iran’s moves have always been climb the escalation ladder, but never reach the top.

If there was any doubts about this one should look further than the retribution Iran did following Solemani assassination. Despite all the tough talk. All Iran did was fire some missiles at an Iraqi military base while avoiding casualties and giving many hours warning and showing its TELs missile preparation to US spy satellites days in advance. Iran did all it could to save face, but not start a war.

Thus with an arms embargo and SnapBack sanctions iran would merely do what it is doing now, it would increase nuclear activity, reinstall Fordow centrifuges, maybe build a new Fordow like nuclear facilty, but at the same time allow nuclear inspectors and give full transparency all the while crying wolf. That way it can keep Europe and Russia and China from running to the US.

How would you know if in their calculation, possessing a nuclear weapon is needed to preserve self-preservation. At some point, if the pressure and threats is great enough for calculations to warranty that action.

I thought Mao said: we will eat grass if we have to in order to get nuclear bomb

Back
Top Bottom