What's new

Desi Myths That Will Blow Your Mind

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Desi Myths That Will Blow Your Mind
Growing up in desi families, we all get to hear several things which sound stupid once we grow up. Desi myths, yes! All our childhood our moms and grandmothers keep telling us or if we say more accurately, scaring us with different logics. Being a child we never really go in the depth and believe them. It is not until we grow up and start understanding situations better. We have collected some of the desi myths which will completely blow your mind.

Hiccups mean someone is missing you!
If you are hiccuping, someone must be missing you. Now think who can it be!

Don’t lick off the pateela else it would rain on your wedding day!
So apparently weather conditions don’t mean shit if you are a desi. Rely on your old habit of licking off the pateela to make it rain on your wedding day!

Playing with scissors would result in a fight between your parents.
This one is my favourite desi myth out of all. What a tailor couple must go through every day due to constant usage of scissors?! Stupidest of all.

The prayer mat should be folded from the corner if it is idle to avoid the devil praying on it
We could also be the reason that the devil was never able to find the right path. Had we kept the corners unfolded, he would have offered the prayers coming back on the right path. Ever thought of it????

Walking over someone makes them shorter!
No matter tall height runs in the family, you will stay short if your khala ki beti leapt over you when you were laying on the floor scrolling down facebook.

A black cat crossing your path will put you in bad luck!
If a black cat cuts your way, your life is screwed. You might as well want to go back home, take a shower and avoid going to work for two days!

Dark mehndi stain means super loving husband!
It is still a major confusion between husband or mother-in-law. Trust me just use an amazing mehndi to get all the love from your husband/mother-in-law!

These are some of the most common desi myths almost each one of us has heard. Let us know of more in the comments if you know any more of them!

https://trendinginpakistan.pk/desi-myths-that-will-blow-your-mind/

Heard all of them :) and believed most of them during my childhood, once had a huge fight with my sister because she deliberately walked over me and still do the folding the prayer mat thing not because of superstition but because of old habits!!!

I heard only two of them...one about the prayer mat and other about the hiccups and that too from some friends but never from my parents; they rather dispelled and busted those myths and taught us that Islamic faith and superstitions do not mix so never be a superstitious person.

No matter tall height runs in the family, you will stay short if your khala ki beti leapt over you when you were laying on the floor scrolling down facebook.

https://trendinginpakistan.pk/desi-myths-that-will-blow-your-mind/

Hi,

There is logic behind this and many other myths---.

You don't want to be short---so you won't let anyone jump over you or walk over you---ok.

What is the reasoning behind it---.

My older sister---was 3 months old---she was lying on a bed made on the floor---. One of my older cousins started running around her and started jumping over her---suddenly she slipped on the floor---and fell on the girl's stomach---.

The girl died after one month---.

So---if this happened in your family---would you like to avoid something like this happening to other children---.

Hi,

As for the hiccups---. They are triggered by a disturbance in the brain---.

When something outrageous is said to you---and your attention is diverted totally to what was said to you---the hiccups go away---.

Hi,

There is logic behind this and many other myths---.

You don't want to be short---so you won't let anyone jump over you or walk over you---ok.

What is the reasoning behind it---.

My older sister---was 3 months old---she was lying on a bed made on the floor---. One of my older cousins started running around her and started jumping over her---suddenly she slipped on the floor---and fell on the girl's stomach---.

The girl died after one month---.

So---if this happened in your family---would you like to avoid something like this happening to other children---.

Hi,

As for the hiccups---. They are triggered by a disturbance in the brain---.

When something outrageous is said to you---and your attention is diverted totally to what was said to you---the hiccups go away---.
Of course that was a sad incident and should be avoided but coming up with a myth is not the way...you need to be direct and truthful with the kids. BTW there are a lot of superstitions and myths in America as well like no 13, zombies, werewolves, shape-shifters, touch the wood, bad news comes in three, breaking a mirror, don't open an umbrella inside, wishing on a wishbone.

If a black cat cuts your way, your life is screwed. You might as well want to go back home, take a shower and avoid going to work for two days!

It's not Black cat it is any cat. The reason is plain and simple Armies that are marching will avoid homes inside the farms and forests. so when they see a cat they don't go through that road.

Rest is assumption.

Of course that was a sad incident and should be avoided but coming up with a myth is not the way...you need to be direct and truthful with the kids. BTW there are a lot of superstitions and myths in America as well like no 13, zombies, werewolves, shape-shifters, touch the wood, bad news comes in three, breaking a mirror, don't open an umbrella inside, wishing on a wishbone.

Hi,

Kids don't believe in death---. They are invincible---death does not make any sense to them---.

But being short makes a lots of sense to them---. No one wants to be short---.

No one believes that they would create an accident where another person would be killed---or they don't give sh-it about it.

But then another person is killed and not them---so it does not register---because it does not bring them any harm---.

But the curse of being SHORT is very effective---it changes the behavioral patterns----very effectively.

Try it in your household---and see the effects first hand---.

touch the wood, bad news comes in three, breaking a mirror,
I think these ones have their roots in China!

I heard this from cousins:
Hiccups mean someone is missing you!

I heard this ALSO from cousins:

This is common one floating online:

Heard this from cousins also:
Dark mehndi stain means super loving husband!

Rest are new!

Basically my parents didnt teach me any!

Hi,

Kids don't believe in death---. They are invincible---death does not make any sense to them---.

But being short makes a lots of sense to them---. No one wants to be short---.

No one believes that they would create an accident where another person would be killed---or they don't give sh-it about it.

But then another person is killed and not them---so it does not register---because it does not bring them any harm---.

But the curse of being SHORT is very effective---it changes the behavioral patterns----very effectively.

Try it in your household---and see the effects first hand---.

Sir you analysis or reasoning makes sense but somethings is little off here for example kids will be concerned they being cursed with short height and stunted growth but that won't make them care much about other kids so they will keep jumping above the kids but won't like if others kids do same to them....Kids generally lack empathy but they are afraid of pain and being hurt ...just gauge from the fact that all kids hate injection while adults can easily handle it. So we can tell them that it will hurt them if they fall. Something which is true and also works with their psychology and does not give them a life long myth and fears. Our parents in general scare the crap out of the kids especially the mothers to make the kids sleep and silent but those fears grow with them and get imprinted with indelible ink.

I think these ones have their roots in China!

I heard this from cousins:
USA has been a melting pot of cultures and everyone brought their fair share of myths and superstitions ...both Chinese and Indians have huge diasporas in USA so myths from these cultures have creeped into USA along with other paraphernalia and those got morphed and acclimatised here...so now they are woven into the fabric of society.. Americans especially the conservatives and evangelicals are prone to believe in myths and superstitions. Most of the sightings of UFO approx. 80% are from USA...A lot of urban legends that traveled from Europe with these white people still live on and prosper while back in Europe those have fallen out of popularity with advent of science and dilution of Christianity.

I heard this and started licking pateela in hope of getting rain on my wedding day but there was none but was sweating because of heat :D

some more

1)"A crow is cawing like crazy" - guests are on their way

2) "Drink milk after fish"- welcome skin diseases/Vitiligo i.e white patches develop on the skin

3) "Palms itchy"- Money is coming your way”

4) "Sit under a tree after its dark"- be possessed by a jin

5) "Left Eye twitching" – Something bad is going to happen

6) "You sneeze"- When somebody is thinking about you

Heard all of these ... Must be common in Faisalabad!

I heard this and started licking pateela in hope of getting rain on my wedding day but there was none but was sweating because of heat :D

some more

1)"A crow is cawing like crazy" - guests are on their way

2) "Drink milk after fish"- welcome skin diseases/Vitiligo i.e white patches develop on the skin

3) "Palms itchy"- Money is coming your way”

4) "Sit under a tree after its dark"- be possessed by a jin

5) "Left Eye twitching" – Something bad is going to happen

6) "You sneeze"- When somebody is thinking about you
know all this and others mentioned, always from elder women of the family, ammi, khala, nanni waghaira...and they were very strict believers too. bari kut khadi ay..

Back
Top Bottom