What's new

Desi combat chopper to begin production; Jaitley to inaugurate unit on Saturday

boxer_B

BANNED
Reaction score
LCH_TDs_sml.jpg

BENGALURU: Nine months after the Defence Acquisition Committee (DAC) gave its in-principle approval for the procurement of 15 Light Combat Helicopters (LCH) for the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the army at the cost of Rs 2,911 crore, defence PSU Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is all set to begin production.

Official sources in HAL confirmed that Defence Minister Arun Jaitley will inaugurate the production line on Saturday. The choppers are being procured under the buy Indigenously Designed, Developed and Manufactured (IDDM) category.

The twin engine LCH is in the 5.8 tonne class featuring narrow fuselage and tandem configuration for pilot and co-pilot weapon system operator. "The raksha mantri (Jaitley) has confirmed his participation on Saturday and he will be launching the production facility at about 6pm on Saturday," a source in the know told TOI.

The chopper has been designed by HAL's Rotary Wing R&D and the basic version has already got the clearance from CEMILAC (Center for Military Airworthiness and Certification). "The helicopter has indigenous state-of-the-art technologies like integrated dynamic system, bearingless Tail Rotor, anti-resonance vibration isolation system, crashworthy landing gear, smart glass cockpit, hinge less main rotor, Armour Protection and stealth features from visual, aural, radar and IR signatures," the official added.

Equipped with 20mm Turret gun, 70 mm Rocket, air-to-air missile and Helmet pointing system, the helicopter can carry out operational roles under extreme weather conditions at different altitudes from sea level, hot weather desert, cold weather and Himalayan altitudes.

The LCH has already demonstrated capability to land and take off from Siachen Range with considerable load, fuel and weapons that are beyond any other combat helicopter.

Jaitley, who is also the finance minister is likely to visit other defence PSUs like BEL and BEML, but sources said those visits are largely to deal with their financial matters.

Besides LCH, Jaitley will also visit the Hawk hanger at HAL. HAL produced its 100th Hawk jet trainer aircraft with designation as Hawk-i (Hawk-India), which the PSU says is its "indigenous role change development programme to convert the jet trainer into a Combat-Ready platform."

Hawk-i, HAL says, is capable of delivering precision munitions including air-to-ground and close combat weapons, self defence capabilities through electronic warfare (EW) systems, digital map generator among other features.

The aircraft is upgraded with indigenously designed avionics hardware, software and system architecture enhancing operational role from a trainer aircraft into a Combat-ready platform.

Never heard that IA freezed lch design.
@Water Car Engineer

I know they're going to produce some base models for IA and IAF. Not sure what their inputs would do to change the helicopter, probably not substantially. I know HAL has frozen the design with the LSPs in production for the users.

maxresdefault.jpg

lch3.jpg

Latest models, only thing I dont see however, is it's EW suite.

Indian army will get 11 squadrons of LCH eventually while IAF will get 6 sqds. Each of army's 4 strike corps should be allotted 2 sqds of LCH while rest 3 and IAF's 6 sqds should be with other corps.

I want an Indian heavy class attack chopper like ka50 or Apache.

Not needed to be honest. Enough Apaches. Apaches will be hunting enemy positions with LCH. They are networked for that reason.

The current roadmap of LCH and IMRH should be followed first. IMRH has some export apeal as well.

Dam the helicopters look awesome

GOD SHOW INDIA.

but hang on.......... ARE inmdia not crap at indengious production :woot:

The current roadmap of LCH and IMRH should be followed first. IMRH has some export apeal as well.

Don't be ridiculous. HAL has done jack on IMRH except make a couple of mockups. It will take at least 10 years to come into force if at all it plans to.

And IMRH comes in the league of Super Puma and Mi-17 class of helicopters. Do you really think it is easy to dislodge Mi-17 which is the most sold helicopter in the world in its class and area of utility?

We can hope to replace our old 250+ Mi-8 IF HAL can actually speed up the work.

Not needed to be honest. Enough Apaches. Apaches will be hunting enemy positions with LCH. They are networked for that reason.

Lch is highly based on alh,so there is a high probability that future imrh will pave the way for another attack helicopter. We should not repeat our mistakes again,if we didn't pursue another attack helicopter program immediately,our experience and expertise gained with lch will lose in the same way how we lose hal Ajeet tempo.

Don't be ridiculous. HAL has done jack on IMRH except make a couple of mockups. It will take at least 10 years to come into force if at all it plans to.

And IMRH comes in the league of Super Puma and Mi-17 class of helicopters. Do you really think it is easy to dislodge Mi-17 which is the most sold helicopter in the world in its class and area of utility?

We can hope to replace our old 250+ Mi-8 IF HAL can actually speed up the work.

How am I being ridiculous? And I am very well aware of the dates. 10 is a very probable number. Still the roadmap makes sense.

India cannot build everything and cannot buy everything. There needs to be middle road. For rotor aircrafts, Indian plans seem sound enough.

Don't jump the gun by assuming things.

Lch is highly based on alh,so there is a high probability that future imrh will pave the way for another attack helicopter. We should not repeat our mistakes again,if we didn't pursue another attack helicopter program immediately,our experience and expertise gained with lch will lose in the same way how we lose hal Ajeet tempo.

Is there a question of disagreement?

Back
Top Bottom