What's new

Desi Bofors better than original one

When it comes to tube artillery, there are two base methods of using it.

No 1. Direct fire - As the name suggests, it refers to the launching of a projectile directly at a target.This method is used at shorter ranges, where the target happens to be within clear line-of-sight and line-of-fire of the gun in question.You know, like the Germans, during WWII, used their 88 mm Flaks against allied tanks to devastating effects or as this article mentions, Indian Army did against the sanghars in Kargil.
Field guns are better suited for this method due to the higher velocity and flatter trajectories of their shells compared to howitzers.

No. 2 - Indirect fire - It's the complete opposite of the first method (as the name suggests).This is used at longer ranges, when there is no clear line of sight between the target and the gun or the target is behind some terrain features, the target coordinates are sent by specially trained fire control directors and the gunners calculate the target distance and elevation of the gun barrel by triangulation method.

I hope this helps.

It does, in the sense that it confirms my suspicion that the term is wrongly used. Almost none of the shell-fire directed at the dug-outs was of any effect. On the other hand, the shelling of the arms depot at Muntho Dhalo and the shelling of the lines of communication of the infiltrators while they were retreating was what caused the greatest damage, and it was all indirect fire.

Which is the basic purpose of a howitzer.

Wow!!!!
What a waste of emotions over something that only fructified after TATA went ahead and unveiled a 155mm gun.

ToT was completed at the time of the first and only batch of FH-77s being inducted (500 pieces). The xyz at OFB sat on construction of the remaining 1000 pieces at home.

Words fail me ...

It does, in the sense that it confirms my suspicion that the term is wrongly used. Almost none of the shell-fire directed at the dug-outs was of any effect.
True.
On the other hand, the shelling of the arms depot at Muntho Dhalo
I thought Munto Dhalo was targeted and destroyed by LGB strikes from IAF strike fighters, given my memory is correct.
and the shelling of the lines of communication of the infiltrators while they were retreating was what caused the greatest damage, and it was all indirect fire.
True again.
Which is the basic purpose of a howitzer.
Exactly, and that's one of the reason they weren't so effective in the direct fire role.The trajectory of their shells are not just flat enough for them to be of any significant help in such a role.

Wow!!!!
What a waste of emotions over something that only fructified after TATA went ahead and unveiled a 155mm gun.

ToT was completed at the time of the first and only batch of FH-77s being inducted (500 pieces). The xyz at OFB sat on construction of the remaining 1000 pieces at home.

Words fail me ...
As much as the OFB is responsible for this goof up (like in many other projects they undertake), I hold the then PM Rajiv Gandhi and also the subsequent ones as well, guilty of criminal ignorance!!But this whole Bofors fiasco comes no where even close to the level of **** up done in the HDW scandal!!The MDL has got the entire production blueprints of the Type 209 subs, lying around, picking up dust, somewhere in their cabinets.

Wow!!!!

Words fail me ...

Which is why that is the only body of people in India, the management of the OFB, that I would like to see hanged without an alternative punishment.

True.

I thought Munto Dhalo was targeted and destroyed by LGB strikes from IAF strike fighters, given my memory is correct.

True again.

Exactly, and that's one of the reason they weren't so effective in the direct fire role.The trajectory of their shells are not just flat enough for them to be of any significant help in such a role.

As much as the OFB is responsible for this goof up (like in many other projects they undertake), I hold the then PM Rajiv Gandhi and also the subsequent ones as well, guilty of criminal ignorance!!But this whole Bofors fiasco comes no where even close to the level of **** up done in the HDW scandal!!The MDL has got the entire production blueprints of the Type 209 subs, lying around, picking up dust, somewhere in their cabinets.

You are right about Munto Dhalo.

The good thing about India is atleast you guys try, either it turns out to be success or a failure.
Woh tifl kia girayga jo guthnon k bal chalayga(Allama Iqbal).

Not liking home brewed things is a common thinking of Asian people, that's why there is a saying : Ghar ki murghi daal baraber.

So India keep doing new things, atleast you guys will reach some where as you did in your space program.

The good thing about India is atleast you guys try, either it turns out to be success or a failure.
Woh tifl kia girayga jo guthnon k bal chalayga(Allama Iqbal).

Not liking home brewed things is a common thinking of Asian people, that's why there is a saying : Ghar ki murghi daal baraber.

So India keep doing new things, atleast you guys will reach some where as you did in your space program.
not by claiming ours is the best and lying to public... this is the sure way to mediocrity... we need an independent auditing/certification authority that does trials of home made hardware... you cant trust OFB or defense minister to tell the truth...

not by claiming ours is the best and lying to public... this is the sure way to mediocrity... we need an independent auditing/certification authority that does trials of home made hardware... you cant trust OFB or defense minister to tell the truth...
When did they ever claim this desi bofors to be the best in the world??They just said that it's better than the original, which is understandable since the original guns first came out more than 3 and half decades ago!!And as @MilSpec said, "if it wasn't better than the 30 yr old FH77 then ofb engineers should be fired (from the same gun)"

The original FH77 came out in the late 70s and we're doing Dhanush in 2010s.

It'd be a damn shame if it isn't better.

P.S. Oh, and ... artillery has progressed a lot in those 3 decades. Just one example :
Caesar original :
View attachment 323966

Caesar 2016 at DSEI :
View attachment 323967

That change took all of 21 years : 1994 - 2015. ;)

I don't understand the Change from visual features- Is that truck supposed to take hits from Tanks and survive or go inside enemy territory using stealth ?

go inside enemy territory using stealth ?

If so, very partially I would have to agree!

It may be a bit of a design line effect at Nexter :

The looks are similar between those materials although
if one judges by the video below, some of the lines where
brought back to more reasonable / utilitarian ones.

That's the recent 2016 real vehicle vs the 2015 proto.

But those features should make a bit of impact if you
add a correct camo. And a full shell on any material helps
with maintenance as well as protection. In addition, if
you've seen the recent attempts at active camouflage.
flat panels may become all the rage sooner than later.

But overall, I understand you being dubious easily.

Have a great day Tay.

If so, very partially I would have to agree!

I would not even partially- Specially with ESA radar and more so with the role of artillery- Which is anything but invading enemy land-

It may be a bit of a design line effect at Nexter :

I definitely agree here- It seems more like design thing- Pleasant looking goods sell better-

India beats super Sweden in its own game, ToT notwithstanding:

Beside being the cost effective and indigenously manufactured, this gun has better range, accuracy, caliber beside other goodies.

Trials a hit, desi Bofors outguns Swedish original - Times of India

07hownew.jpg

If You want to beat Sweden, then this is what You are competing with:

image.jpeg

So You would be looking at an automatic gun, capable of delivering indirect fire at long range
(60 km) with a precision of a few meters.

The howitzer has a continuous fire rate of 75 rounds per hour, an intensive fire rate of 20 rounds (i.e., a full magazine) in 2.5 minutes (effective rate, 480 per hour), and a salvo fire rate of three rounds in 15 seconds (effective rate, 720 per hour)

Last edited:
If You want to beat Sweden, then this is what You are competing with:

View attachment 324248

So You would be looking at an automatic gun, capable of delivering indirect fire at long range
(60 km) with a precision of a few meters.

The howitzer has a continuous fire rate of 75 rounds per hour, an intensive fire rate of 20 rounds (i.e., a full magazine) in 2.5 minutes (effective rate, 480 per hour), and a salvo fire rate of three rounds in 15 seconds (effective rate, 720 per hour)
It was proved in kargil war as 155mm 39 cal towed howitzers.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom