What's new

Delhi: The city of djinns

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.There is no accepted theory as the appearance of the name Delhi. Prithviraj Cauhan is the first major ruler of Delhi we know of.

2. Delhi is a cosmopolitan city wherein live Bengalees as well as others. For the Muslims of SA Delhi has special significance. Atop the Lal Quilla used to proudly flutter our green flag. Every Muslim child pines to see the flag back.

Keep pining away Wahabi.

By the way Delhi was always an important city. It's ancient name was Indraprastha.

Also don't forget the modern day city of New Delhi is different from Old Delhi. The city which Mughals ruled until 1857.

New Delhi has been built recently .

But one thing I agree with is that Delhi gained supreme prominence as the capital of India during Muslim rule and that Muslim architecture of Delhi is very beautiful.

Also, don't forget, Muslims have also been the biggest enemies of this city. It was destroyed twice by two Muslims from Central Asia- Timur (1398) and Nader Shah ( 1739).

Delhi is probably one of the most relaxed cities in South Asia, it's always so peaceful and chilled. Can anyone post some photos of Guragon?

where are the cities linked from ,?,? i cann't see any of them ?

What are you trying to say? There's a bus service active from the airport to most places in the city and it's also very close to the metro.

What are you trying to say? There's a bus service active from the airport to most places in the city and it's also very close to the metro.

I just figured it out. He's Chinese, so I'll let it pass.
Cities (Chinese) = sites (English)
"I cann't see any of them" = a troll's response referring to the pictures in my post that he claims he can't see.

before Delhi, it was Calcutta.

if you check old stationeries and cosmetics etc etc, you can see made in Calcutta or made in Bombay more than Delhi. just sharing what I observed when I was a child.

I just figured it out. He's Chinese, so I'll let it pass.
Cities (Chinese) = sites (English)
"I cann't see any of them" = a troll's response referring to the pictures in my post that he claims he can't see.

oh really? tell me where the places you showed in your pics. i can search myself , hope not suburban again.

oh really? tell me where the places you showed in your pics. i can search myself , hope not suburban again.

Yes, really. The PLACE (singular), not "places" in my pics, is our capital's Indira Gandhi International Airport Terminal 3 (phase 1), located in Delhi proper, not suburban. I was responding to your idea of what a "downtown" should look like. Please read posts properly, and observe who's quoting what.

Look, I honestly think there's a bit of a language barrier here.

Yes, really. The PLACE (singular), not "places" in my pics, is our capital's Indira Gandhi International Airport Terminal 3 (phase 1), located in Delhi proper, not suburban. I was responding to your idea of what a "downtown" should look like. Please read posts properly, and observe who's quoting what.

Look, I honestly think there's a bit of a language barrier here.
i know that airport,which use curtain wall made in China.it's very modern .
but l want to see India downtown,the CBD,not some airport far from the center of the city.

Delhi is a great place. it was a city first build by hindus, developed further by muslims and then given a modern twist by christians.And now is the capital of the largest secular county in the world. A true cross section of India, the greatest country on earth.

i know that airport,which use curtain wall made in China.it's very modern

Yes, for now, a lot of Indian airports and commercial structures source construction items from china, but hopefully, that will change. Delhi's T3 is a nice terminal, but wait till you see Bombay's terminal 2 which I think, opens next year. They've really put a lot of thought into its design and functioning.

but l want to see India downtown,the CBD,not some airport far from the center of the city.

So, get on skyscrapercity.com, go to the India section, and look up Delhi cityscapes for all the pics your heart desires. The pics you quoted aren't from some far-off extra-urban area, but from Delhi proper. The streetscapes of Delhi are very different from a more space-constrained city; even streets in the city centre have a suburban feel to it, much like Washington DC, Chandigarh etc. to put it simply, the city is laid out differently from say, Bombay or Shanghai, or HK, and there simply isn't a need for massive skyscrapers in the beautifully laid out city centre yet (and I hope it stays that way). By the way, the airport is only 16 kilometres from the city centre, and is connected by expressway, the Airport Express train service, the Delhi Metro, and by DTC's bus services to all parts of the NCR.

Yes, for now, a lot of Indian airports and commercial structures source construction items from china, but hopefully, that will change. Delhi's T3 is a nice terminal, but wait till you see Bombay's terminal 2 which I think, opens next year. They've really put a lot of thought into its design and functioning.

So, get on skyscrapercity.com, go to the India section, and look up Delhi cityscapes for all the pics your heart desires. The pics you quoted aren't from some far-off extra-urban area, but from Delhi proper. The streetscapes of Delhi are very different from a more space-constrained city; even streets in the city centre have a suburban feel to it, much like Washington DC, Chandigarh etc. to put it simply, the city is laid out differently from say, Bombay or Shanghai, or HK, and there simply isn't a need for massive skyscrapers in the beautifully laid out city centre yet (and I hope it stays that way). By the way, the airport is only 16 kilometres from the city centre, and is connected by expressway, the Airport Express train service, the Delhi Metro, and by DTC's bus services to all parts of the NCR.

Call me old fashioned but cities like Delhi and Lahore have a lot of character and charm with people to match. Somehow cities like Bombay and Karachi seem to be losing much of their earlier character with modernity winning.

Call me old fashioned but cities like Delhi and Lahore have a lot of character and charm with people to match. Somehow cities like Bombay and Karachi seem to be losing much of their earlier character with modernity winning.

Totally agree with that. Skyscrapers are great, look cool and are loved by most, but if I had to choose between a stunning, sleek tower, and the preservation of an unbelievably awesome heritage building, I'd choose the latter. In my city's suburbs, Art Deco bungalows and villas are being torn down left, right, and centre, to make way for modern (and horrendously expensive) residential condos 'cause of new FSI rules. It breaks my heart.

BTW, when are you coming to visit from Jo'burg? :)

OK,i browsed the .skyscrapercity.com many times before and saw the India cities.frankly,all looks like suburb or small towns in China, @gslv mk3
want to say something?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK,i browsed the .skyscrapercity.com many times before and saw the India cities.frankly,all looks like suburb or small towns in China, @gslv mk3
want to say something?

LOL so you did establish yourself as a true-blooded troll after all! I'd be kidding myself if I said/thought that Indian cities are like Chinese cities (thank the Gods for that), but I didn't, and neither did anyone else, so what's your deal? Your comprehension skills are poor, to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom