What's new

Delhi loses patience with CWG

Kalmdi and the Delhi govt surely messed up things but excessive rainfall also one reason. Recently visited Delhi and it was all raining and Yamuna flowing much above the danger mark.

It is sad, but why are people so surprised , The games fell victim to Babuism.
India has always suffered from Corruption. So does most of the sub-continent if i understand. We know how this system works.

The games can still go ahead , Delhi will have some good sports infrastructure for years to come. Overall it is still net gain , but when the 10-20% went missing , so did the Polish and Finish for the games.

Hi TL, not sure how prevalent. I sure believe that. But its not just about being more competent or less corrupt, its about more friendly towards foreigners, more disciplined, more civic sense all around, safety of women, pride in one's city etc etc. Somehow in my books Delhi ranks very poorly in all these.

But as I said, i don't know how many ppl think so. And now I'm going to be attacked by all the (uncivil :P) delhi crowd.

Hey.. Not fair.. I have lived in Delhi most of my life, and still agree with you. I travel to Hyderabad quite often and the adherence to rules is so much more in that part of India. Wish we Delhites take some lessons from there.

What ever excuse you wish to come up with its 12 days to go before opening..
Add these threads to the story:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/73484-cwg-may-called-off-says-nz-chef-de-mission.html

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...llage-unliveable-complain-four-countries.html

and no doubt a few more in press it is not looking good.

Comparisons to the Beijing Olympic games is a poor excuse. They were not still building facilities 12 days before the games. Other problems yes but not what is being described in all these reports.

Fateh71, is south india considered more competent and less corrupt than North India? Is that a prevalent stereotype?

Different States , Cites , districts.
Different Political parties
Different Agendas
Different Leaderships.

Each state in India has it's own Level of competence and capability.

Just because Dehli had problems , does not mean they have to exist in every other state in India.

You can't really say South India is less corrupt. But certainly the scale of corruption can be smaller. Say i know that 4-5% corruption exists on the Bangalore metro , its much smaller then some of the figures i hear now and then from other places.

Just heard in news foot overbridge which connects CWG Nehru Stadium the main Games venue collapsed 1 killed 23 Injured. :angry:

Bridge collapses near CWG main venue, 23 injured

NEW DELHI: In a major embarrassment for organisers of the Commonwealth Games, an under-construction foot overbridge today collapsed outside the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium, the main venue of the Commonwealth Games, injuring 23 labourers.

Five of the injured are seriously injured in the incident that occurred at 3.10pm in Lodhi Road area of South Delhi, police said.

The 95-metre long bridge was being built along with another overbridge at the cost of Rs 10.5 crore by Chandigarh-based company PNR Infra, Delhi government sources said.

Public Works Department of Delhi government, which had given the contract to PNR Infra for constructing the overbridge as ordered an inquiry into the incident.

The bridge, whose construction was to be completed soon, was to connect the parking lot of the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium where the opening and closing functions of Commonwealth Games would be held.

Fire department officials said the labourers were putting concrete mix at a portion of the bridge when the incident took place.

PWD chief Engineer Rakesh Mishra admitted that the incident was a "setback" but expressed confidence that the project would be completed before the Games that start on October 3.

Yesterday, two police personnel, including an officer, had suffered injuries when a canopy erected at the stadium fell on them.

Read more: Bridge collapses near CWG main venue, 23 injured - The Times of India Bridge collapses near CWG main venue, 23 injured - The Times of India

I really want to avoid CW games venue which is just 15 KM away from my home don't ask for reasons :sick: :angry: :cry:

A footover bridge was unable to to stand for an year......
look at PWD chief Engineer Rakesh Mishra's confidence...... :sick:

Just heard in news foot overbridge which connects CWG Nehru Stadium the main Games venue collapsed 1 killed 23 Injured. :angry:

Not sure... nowhere in the news...

for rest, you may refer my post

CWG Anxiety In India After Rocky Run-Up

NEW DELHI, Sept 21, 2010 (AFP) - Commonwealth Games organisers are banking on athletes to provide the healing touch after months of negative publicity over New Delhi's poor preparations for the event.

The build-up for the Games, which will gather 7,000 athletes and team officials for the opening ceremony on October 3, has been marred by controversy and scandals.

Missed deadlines, ballooning costs, allegations of rampant corruption, unsanitory conditions at the athletes' village and security concerns for the 12-day sporting extravaganza have dominated headlines in India and across the world.

Unusually heavy monsoon rains have hindered the last-minute rush to be ready on time, flooding areas near rubble-strewn Games venues and worsening an outbreak of dengue fever across New Delhi.

On Tuesday, Commonwealth Games Federation president Michael Fennell demanded immediate action from the Indian government to fix what he called a "seriously compromised" athletes' village.

"Many issues remain unresolved and as such last night (Monday) I wrote to the Indian cabinet secretary, expressing my great concern with the preparedness of the athletes village," he said in a statement.

"Many nations that have already sent their advanced parties to set up within the village have made it abundantly clear that, as of the afternoon of September 20, the Village is seriously compromised."

New Zealand officials, one of the advance delegations already in New Delhi, said that dirty and unhealthy conditions at the village were compromising the entire Games.

Chef de mission Dave Currie said large sections of the village were still not ready with the clock ticking to its official opening on Thursday.

"The reality is that if the village is not ready and athletes can't come, the implications are that it's not going to happen," Currie told New Zealand commercial radio, referring to the Games as a whole.

Security concerns arose after two Taiwanese tourists were shot at by unidentified gunmen outside New Delhi's biggest mosque on Sunday, but officials insisted it was "not Games-related."

Organising committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi, the man at the centre of the storm, said India would have proved the world wrong when the closing ceremony is held on October 14.

"The Games will be judged by athletes, not the media or anyone else," Kalmadi told AFP.

"If the sports stars go home smiling, I will be a satisfied man."

Representatives from 71 nations and territories of the former British Empire will descend on the Indian capital to compete in 17 disciplines ranging from aquatics to wrestling -- including lawn bowls and netball.

The absence of some of the Commonwealth's finest has already cast a cloud over proceedings. Sprinters Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell, tennis stars Andy Murray, Lleyton Hewitt and Samantha Stosur, swimmer Stephanie Rice and cyclist Chris Hoy are just some of the big-name absentees.

The competition may not be as intense as at the Olympics, but the Games give smaller nations like Lesotho, Swaziland, Caymen Islands, Maldives, Niue and Kiribati a chance of medal glory.

Attention, however, will continue to focus on the Games' organisation -- with every small slip-up and complaint being gleefully lapped up by the growing number of critics.

Leading the charge against Kalmadi is former sports minister Mani Shankar Aiyar, who has attacked the estimated three-billion dollars cost of the Games.

"We were told the Games would help us showcase the true picture of modern India,"

Aiyar, a senior member of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's ruling Congress party, told the Tehelka magazine.

"I must congratulate Kalmadi for having successfully projected the real picture --- an India of corruption and inefficiency."

The never-ending construction chaos, traffic snarls and daily dose of scandals in the media appear to have alienated many of New Delhi's 16 million residents.

A recent Times of India poll reported that 76 percent felt the expense of the Games was unjustified, and 50 percent said preparations had severely disrupted their lives.

Adding to the mess is the government's decision to create special Games lanes on already overcrowded roads to ensure athletes and officials are able to reach venues on time.

Businesses are bracing themselves for major problems with gridlock congestion caused by closed roads and a heavy-handed security operation.

Ticket sales have been slow as some worried residents made plans to flee the city for the Games fortnight to avoid the chaos.

Reflecting the nation's real passion, sports fans are likely to prefer Australia's cricket tour of India. The two Test matches, in Mohali and Bangalore, clash with Games.

As I recall, there was hue and cry about Beijing too with the atmosphere, food and other nonsensical matters, but they pulled through and it was all spectacular.
As someone has touched on, Beijing was completed way before on time. There wasn't these last minute problems and construction work. Have you seen the official timeline of when certain phases were meant to be finished by? The CWG is awfully behind track.

I have seen some of the venues, and no doubt they're impressive and something to be proud of. But these delays and stories of shoddy second-rate workmanship have been circulating for so long, but it seems this nonchalant attitude of 'sab khatam ho jayega' is proving destructive.

With some politicians disowning it, the public screaming about the inconveniencing, and the costs spiralling out of control for a few weeks of sport, it's a huge burden to carry.

Here's to India pulling it off well, but my God you're up against it from what I've been reading.

Bridge collapse raises Commonwealth Games fears​

t1larg.bridge.afp.gi.jpg

New Delhi, India (CNN) -- A pedestrian bridge under construction for next month's Commonwealth Games here collapsed Tuesday, adding to concerns raised about India's preparedness for the international sporting event.

The bridge near Jawarharlal Nehru Stadium came down while workers were laying a concrete slab, said Rakesh Mishra, engineer-in-chief for New Delhi's Public Works Department.

The bridge, designed as a pathway from a parking area to the stadium, was scheduled for completion this week. The games begin October 3.

"We are inquiring into it," said Mishra about the cause of the collapse. "It could be faulty execution or a fault in the design."

Two workers were injured in the accident, Mishra said.

The games, hosted for the first time by the Commonwealth's most populous nation, have already been troubled by delays in construction projects and allegations of corruption.

Monsoon rains have compounded the woes, with a spike in cases of dengue fever, water-logged streets and and massive traffic snarls.

And this week, security concerns heightened after a shooting attack Sunday on a bus near a New Delhi mosque injured two Taiwanese tourists. Police, however, downplayed the assault as "local mischief," insisting the city is safe for visitors.

NEW DELHI, Sept 21, 2010 (AFP) - The Delhi Commonwealth Games were plunged into crisis Tuesday 12 days from the start after the athletes' village was described as "uninhabitable" and a footbridge collapsed at the main stadium.

Adding to the sense of chaos that has enveloped an event India hoped would project its new economic power on the international stage, a leading Australian athlete pulled out of the competition because of security fears.

Organisers scrambled to contain the damage, fearful that a pullout by a major team could wreck the October 3-14 multisport showcase that has long been dogged by delays, corruption allegations and anxiety about safety.

Mike Hooper, chief executive of the Commonwealth Games Federation, led stinging criticism about the athletes' residential towers, which will embarrass the government that has admitted that the country's prestige is on the line.

"They're ******. You can't occupy them. They need a deep clean. There's builders' dust and rubble in doorways, shower doors the wrong way round, toilets that don't work," he said just two days before athletes begin arriving.

There was also "excrement in places it shouldn't be", referring to problems thought to be the result of thousands of labourers using the toilets in the "certainly uninhabitable" residential complex.

Complaints about cleanliness, plumbing and electrics were also made by other countries that have arrived early in the Indian capital, including Scotland which described the village as "unsafe and unfit for human habitation".

"The reality is that if the village is not ready and athletes can't come, the implications are that it's not going to happen," New Zealand chef de mission Dave Currie told New Zealand commercial radio.

"It's pretty grim really and certainly disappointing when you consider the amount of time they had to prepare."

Thousands of workers have been labouring around the clock to finish sports facilities and the athletes' village, as well as to clear up piles of building rubble that still litter large parts of the capital.

At the main Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, which will host the opening ceremony and athletics, an under-construction footbridge collapsed on Tuesday, injuring 23 labourers, five seriously, police said.

The approximately 100-metre (328-foot) bridge, built to link the car park to the stadium, fell down as workers were paving it, a labourer at the scene told AFP.

"I saw several people with bleeding arms and injuries on their bodies being taken away," construction worker Zakir Hussein told AFP.

Building work for the games, expected to draw 7,000 athletes and officials from countries which were mostly in the former British empire, has been severely delayed and doubts have been raised before about the quality of the construction.

India's chief anti-corruption body found a host of problems with construction work in a July investigation, including dubious contracts and the use of poor quality materials.

The other main worry about the games has been the risk of attacks by militant groups that target India, with anxiety raised at the weekend after a gun assault outside Delhi's main mosque that left two Taiwanese men injured.

Australian discus world champion Dani Samuels pulled out Tuesday because of security and health concerns, her coach was quoted as saying by Australian Associated Press on Tuesday.

"Dani is extremely distressed about it all," Samuels' manager Hayden Knowles told the agency.

"The situation in Delhi has been bothering her for some time... But the events over the weekend made it real," he said.

Samuels, 22, won the gold medal in discus throwing in the 2009 World Championships in Germany.

Other star athletes such as Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt have already decided not to come.

The president of the Commonwealth Games Federation, Michael Fennell, opened the criticism Tuesday with a damning statement that said several nations had been "shocked" by the "seriously compromised" games village.

The Indian organising committee attempted to reassure athletes.

Lalit Bhanot, organising committee secretary-general and official spokesman for the games, stressed that the village was "probably one of the best ever".

"The athletes will arrive here from the evening of September 23 and we are doing our best to clean the entire village well in time," he said.

"Everyone has different standards about cleanliness. The westerners have different standards, we have different standards."

The Collapse was just an Over Bridge, It would Just take 1-2 days to rebuild it

The Collapse was just an Over Bridge, It would Just take 1-2 days to rebuild it
Haha, I love that 'koi baat nahin' attitude :lol:

But on a more serious note, probably relates well to my earlier point of a relaxed approach and attitude that's overshadowed the construction work :coffee:

Haha, I love that 'koi baat nahin' attitude :lol:

But on a more serious note, probably relates well to my earlier point of a relaxed approach and attitude that's overshadowed the construction work :coffee:

Seeing a Complicated Work through Easy Eyes Is Not "Koi Baat Nahin Attitude" , It just shows How Dedicated You are... Thats it :coffee:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom