What's new

Defining Strategic Depth

that wasnt particularly pleasant Harkalay lol.

ehh no no. the man i mentioned is one of the persons about whom Wali Khan said he can never be friend of Pukhtuns. this man had damaged our people alot

ehh no no. the man i mentioned is one of the persons about whom Wali Khan said he can never be friend of Pukhtuns. this man had damaged our people alot

i got your point, you compared him to Afrasyab or maybe asking him not to act like afrasyab.

btw, did you mean afrasyab khattak?

i got your point, you compared him to Afrasyab or maybe asking him not to act like afrasyab.

btw, did you mean afrasyab khattak?

No i dint compare him to afra. i just said that hope he wont exhibit munafiqat like afra for our nation including Pakistani Pukhtuns

strategic depth actually in lay mans dictionary means the ability of a country's ballistik arsenal to raise havoc in enemys home :cheers:

:pakistan:
:P why dont you do away with qadafi pic and your location man to survive otherwise they will ban you again .

btw i am amazed at your determination

I am a Pakistani. I thought you guys knew that… but probably I was expecting too much from barrel heads of Kakul.

Tiami and Xeric, you guys can tow ISPR’s line all you like but we are free thinking Pakistanis and we do not think of Afghanistan as a separate state…. Sorry but we don’t … you guys may be very content with the fact that there are “brothers” living on other side of border in India so what if we create few more separations on our western side. Probably that was the motivation when Yahya ordered to kill few million Bengalis to quell the rebellion in then East Pakistan; I don’t think I need to remind you the consequence of that. So yes Pakistani military junta is not new to losing brothers across the borders and chopping up the country.

I know you are being watched by Indian fan boys here, and you would like others Pakistanis to say A for Apple, B for Balloon … Yes Sir three bags full Sir, so the Indians can have the impression that all is A OK. If burying your head in sand makes you feel better then by all means please do that. I will rather confront the problem; after all I am ethnically Afghan and you guys remain barrel-heads from Kakul.

I will let you guys in on some historical facts from the past…. I have personally checked these facts with Aslam Khattak, he happened to be close relative of ours.

“……According to many historians including Humayun Gauhar and Aslam Khattak (” A Pathan Odyssey) a confederation almost happened with Afghanistan in 1956.

The missed opportunity came in 1956-57 when Aslam Khattak was first our First Secretary and then Ambassador in Kabul. By then we had a full-blown ‘Afghan Problem’. Prime Minister Suharawardhy called a meeting in which Army Chief General Ayub Khan “dismissed our neighboring country in proper Sandhurst style. ‘Afghan problem?’ he said gruffly. ‘What is the Afghan problem? A little strategic bombing and an armoured thrust would settle it once and for all!.’” It was then that Pakistan, with Aslam Khattak in ‘Track Two’ mode, so to speak, started the proposal for a Pakistan-Afghan confederation. He wanted to get Prime Minister Sardar Daud on his side because “Daud honestly believed that the Pathans were oppressed in Pakistan. He considered it a duty to help his brethren. He may also have been suspicious about the ‘A’, for Afghan (Afghanica) province in Pakistan. Did it mean we wanted to take over his country? At the same time, we thought that Daud was in league with India and bent upon dividing our country with Delhi. As was often the case in such circumstance, both sides were wrong.” Daud was King Zahir Shah’s first cousin and married to the King’s sister. It was he who eventually deposed Zahir Shah. Khattak went to see Daud and told him that he wanted “to remove the misunderstanding between our countries…”

But consider. If the confederation had happened, it would have automatically meant the end of the Parity Principle and One Unit because the anti-democratic 1956 Constitution would have had to be changed. There would have been no Ayub Khan regime and East Pakistan may still have been with us. The Soviets would not have such a large country. No Soviet occupation means no Jihad. No Jihad means no Mujahideen. The Americans could not have created Osama bin Laden. No Osama means no 9/11. Source Humayun Gauhar

Next, Khattak separately met the “royal uncles”, Shah Wali and Shah Mahmood, and took them into confidence. “I told him that Pakistan and Afghanistan would have to form a confederation if they were to survive threats from the USSR and India.” After considerable humming and hawing both agreed to take the idea further. “Now I was ready to try my hand with Sardar Daud, whom I thought would be my most difficult hurdle.” After Daud had made his complaints and Khattak had clarified them, including the letter ‘A’ in the name ‘Pakistan’, they decided that there should be an exchange of visits between King Zahir Shah and President Iskander Mirza. Actually both President Mirza and Prime Minister Suhrawardy went to Kabul together, which is highly unusual. While King and President were involved in ceremony, the two Prime Ministers started talking. After they left, Khattak continued the dialogue with Daud, who “suggested that we include some friendly missions in our discussions, such as Turkey and the USA. Sardar Daud said that the Americans should foot the bill of our mutual development projects when we confederated. Both sides would maintain internal autonomy, he proposed, but they would form a Central Government for defence, foreign policy, foreign trade and communications. The Prime Ministers would rotate.”

If you are surprised at how far the dialogue went, there was more. Feroz Khan Noon had replaced Suhrawardy as Prime Minister. Khattak raised the question of head of state of the confederation with him. “In his grand way [Noon] said we should have no difficulty accepting King Zahir Shah as the constitutional head of state. ‘After all, for some time after independence we had a Christian queen. Now we would have a Muslim man’. President Mirza concurred in this.” When Khattak next met Daud, he said that “…a confederation was the correct step to realise our common destiny. I noted that Pakistan was a democratic country and asked what would be the position of the King. He promptly replied, ‘We shall be a republic if Pakistan so desires.’” So here was Pakistan ready to accept the constitutional monarchy of Zahir Shah in the new Pak-Afghan confederation and there was Afghanistan prepared to become a republic.

As to the USA, Aslam Khattak says, “The Americans agreed to help in a big way. They were prepared to enlarge Karachi harbour and to develop another port. They agreed to provide fifty locomotives and five hundred wagons and to extend the Chaman railway to Kandahar and the Torkham rail line to Jalalabad. Sardar Daud wanted them to extend the Jalalabad railhead to Kabul and to commit to connect Kandahar and Kabul by rail.” They had actually got into post-confederation details.

Then came mistakes. Daud came to Pakistan and while inspecting a shipyard in Karachi a bullet ricocheted off a ship and hit Aslam Khattak instead. Undaunted, they decided to bring Ghaffar Khan into the equation. He was released from prison and sent to Kabul, where he agreed to help in removing Pakistan-Afghan differences provided President Mirza agreed to hold a referendum on the One Unit. Mirza agreed. The American Ambassador in Karachi assured Ghaffar Khan through the American Ambassador in Kabul that the referendum would be held. But it wasn’t. “I have never known,” says Aslam Khattak, “exactly why he did not go ahead and do the job that he said he would. He may have got word from some important Pathans in Pakistan that, if the Afghans stopped speaking about the Pushtuns, the Punjabis would literally turn them into camp followers and second-class citizens. At any rate a great chance to change the face of history was missed.”

An opportunity was missed and a great mistake was made. We are living with the consequences of that missed opportunity. OR IS IT?

After reading this i am sure the Kakul barrel heads will start throwing up vomits of blood as if something like that happened now that will shut the door for their typical Ayub/ Yaha / Mush tactics for good. But as i said there is nothing you guys can do. We are Muslims with same blood, we will get united you like it or not. The only friend that you can find stopping this all from happening is the Hindu India, as they know once it happens that will be virtually the end of them but these are not our intentions we want Unification for humanitarian reasons.

Just in case you guys are wondering why did the traitor Ghafar Khan (the Indian dog) screwed it up? Cause the The Indians asked him to do so.

So the only support you guys will get is going to be from India so why don't you go and Join their ranks from now.

I am glad that this federation didnt happen,as a matter of fact there was very very slim chance of happening such a thing. A few people talked about it, it doesnt mean it would have happned. Paksitan and Afghanistan are 2 independent countries with internationally recognzied borders, i dont know what is the fuss about it. The Mohammadzais(Zahir, Dawood, his uncles etc) were ethno nationalists that their wrong domestic and prejusticed policies towards other afghans have led us to this super disunity in Afghanistan. Yes, pakistan and afghanistan both have pakhtuns, but why should we cross a thick line over other ethnicites' wishes/demands in both pakistan and afghanistan and consider our pakhtun brothers' demands only?

I am glad that this federation didnt happen,as a matter of fact there was very very slim chance of happening such a thing. A few people talked about it, it doesnt mean it would have happned. Paksitan and Afghanistan are 2 independent countries with internationally recognzied borders, i dont know what is the fuss about it. The Mohammadzais(Zahir, Dawood, his uncles etc) were ethno nationalists that their wrong domestic and prejusticed policies towards other afghans have led us to this super disunity in Afghanistan. Yes, pakistan and afghanistan both have pakhtuns, but why should we cross a thick line over other ethnicites' wishes/demands in both pakistan and afghanistan and consider our pakhtun brothers' demands only?

These are the other bunch that is the hurdle in our way. The morons from Afghanistan side. If the so called "other ethnicities" don't like it they can migrate to India and Iran and get treated the way they deserve to be treated.

We dont care for ethnicities or nationalities the common ground amongst us is Islam and thousands of years of history. These 50 odd years old so called international borders can deflate your spirit but not ours.

I didnt know why some people were quite unpleasant with you until you called me moron, dear Dr. Sahib. We can have our opinion all without being rude. Back to the topic,

These are the other bunch that is the hurdle in our way. The morons from Afghanistan side.

Which banch? hurdle on your way? what way have you chosen? even your pakistani countrymen are confused with your stance, is there something fishy that you try to hide for now untill things are your way and you reveal your true intentions?

If the so called "other ethnicities" don't like it they can migrate to India and Iran and get treated the way they deserve to be treated.

They are not the so called other ethnicities, but they are real people in their own country, they dont need to go to india or iran, they will stay right there in their own country. Those who want their pakhtun brothers on the other side of the border in paksitan, they can join them anytime they want,but they cannot drag us with them or talk about the break up of paksitan, as pakistan is an independant country with its current borders recognized by international community. it is not the ethnicieits of afghanistan only who dont want to have anything with paksitan, but ethnicities of pakistan also (other than pakhtuns) want the same thing as us, we can be and we should be freindly and brother, but in our own and seperate countries.

We dont care for ethnicities or nationalities the common ground amongst us is Islam and thousands of years of history. These 50 odd years old so called international borders can deflate your spirit but not ours.

You would not care about us for your own specific reasons, but we are not bothered about it, care or not care. If the common religion and history is the basis of merger of pakistan and afghanistan, then we have the same thing with Iran and CARs, shall we create a super big country including all of us? why pak and Afghanistan only, lets bring Iran and CARs as well.

I didnt know why some people were quite unpleasant with you until you called me moron, dear Dr. Sahib. We can have our opinion all without being rude. Back to the topic,

Which banch? hurdle on your way? what way have you chosen? even your pakistani countrymen are confused with your stance, is there something fishy that you try to hide for now untill things are your way and you reveal your true intentions?

They are not the so called other ethnicities, but they are real people in their own country, they dont need to go to india or iran, they will stay right there in their own country. Those who want their pakhtun brothers on the other side of the border in paksitan, they can join them anytime they want,but they cannot drag us with them or talk about the break up of paksitan, as pakistan is an independant country with its current borders recognized by international community. it is not the ethnicieits of afghanistan only who dont want to have anything with paksitan, but ethnicities of pakistan also (other than pakhtuns) want the same thing as us, we can be and we should be freindly and brother, but in our own and seperate countries.

You would not care about us for your own specific reasons, but we are not bothered about it, care or not care. If the common religion and history is the basis of merger of pakistan and afghanistan, then we have the same thing with Iran and CARs, shall we create a super big country including all of us? why pak and Afghanistan only, lets bring Iran and CARs as well.

This is exactly the point ... CARs and others were also part of it at one stage and the more coordination and cooperation we have with other states the better it is. But Pak Afghan were same country so here we talk about integration and unification. There is no benefit in fragmentation and division. Unity is the way forward. By Unity i don't mean intimidation and hegemony of bigger powers in region towards weaker countries like Afghanistan. The policy Pakistan and Iran had been employing in Afghanistan. I want cooperation similar to between EU and NATO states etc.

You talk about "other ethnicities". I say we are Muslims, why should we even think on ethnic lines? This fragmentation on basis of ethnicity is nothing to be proud of. If anything it goes to show our degradation as humans. Why should we give our loyalties to something other then Islam.

Do you genuinely believe that this fragmentation and division on the basis of ethnicities like Tajiks, Uzbaks, Hazara, Punjabi, Sindhi, Baluchi Pashtun, etc etc etc is the way forward?

Can you not see what they have done to Afghanistan and where is it taking it?

We can not turn around from our objectives that are vital for our development just because some racist insecure idiots will not like it. Be them anyone; pashtun uzbaks or punjabis. If they have trouble with us getting united on the basis of Islam and working together, forgetting our differences and burying our misconceptions then they are either confused or they are traitors like Ghafar Khan etc. If they are confused and dont have sense of direction then we have to educate them but if they are outright traitors like Ghafar Khan then we have to remove them from our way as we can not let them hold the whole lot of us hostage to their racist bigotry instigated on the behest of our enemies.

How is it that they further their political agendas? These so called ethnic politicians can only survive by spreading hate and mistrust.

Punjabis are your enemies they are coming to kill you. Tajiks are outsider get united to get rid of them. etc etc etc.

What did divisions on the basis of ethnicities did to Yugoslavia or Hutu and Tutsi in Africa? Google it and see it for yourself.

If you are sitting here and telling me that i should give up on the idea that we have to get united and integrate slowly, for the reasons of none other but to develop ourselves and better the prospects for our coming generation, just because there are some idiots that are getting paid by Iran or India or Russia etc and they may not like our ideas of unity cause they will lose their power that is based on fragmentation then you are a ... i will let you pass the judgement on yourself.

We are Muslims. This is a one group, a bigger set. Now if you want to divide this group on whatever basis, how will you go about doing it?

You can not do it by telling good things about others group members because that will only bring them together. if you want to split this group into anything you will have do it by spreading hate and mistrust.

You seems to be content with this mutual mistrust and hate i am not. You may get intimidated by those that are spreading by it do not. You may even agree with me in principle but the daunting nature of this task will silent you it will not silent me.

I am a Pakistani. I thought you guys knew that… but probably I was expecting too much from barrel heads of Kakul.
Pakistani?!

i even doubt that you are an Afghani!

Anywaz...
Tiami and Xeric, you guys can tow ISPR’s line all you like but we are free thinking Pakistanis and we do not think of Afghanistan as a separate state…. Sorry but we don’t … you guys may be very content with the fact that there are “brothers” living on other side of border in India so what if we create few more separations on our western side. Probably that was the motivation when Yahya ordered to kill few million Bengalis to quell the rebellion in then East Pakistan; I don’t think I need to remind you the consequence of that. So yes Pakistani military junta is not new to losing brothers across the borders and chopping up the country.
Afg is a separate state. It's simple as that. Pakistan too is an separate state. There is no connection between the 2 countries less the religious, customary and traditional linkage that we have.

Afg (and Dr Sangeen) asking for a united or for that matter Pushtunistan is just like today Pakistan start asking Zahedan from Iran just because some 'Pakistani' thinks that Balochs reside on both side of the divide.

BTW, when you say 'we' as if you are representing Afghanistan more than Pakistan, it puts me in a doubt regarding your claim of being a Pakistani. Believe me, no Pakistani thinks like that. It would be nice if you put forth a Pakistani whose thinking matches yours. But then why go far, we have Pukhtoon members on PDF, why shouldnt we just ask them? Ji guys?

And one more thing, werent we talking about reconstruction of Afg at the cost of Pakistan on this thread? Reconstruction of Afg and uniting Afg and Pakistan are two separate topics, why shouldnt we first decide which one to take on in this thread and leaving the other for another day?

And yes, no need to bring in Bangladesh in this thread. We have indians to do this better, so let's leave it for them.
I know you are being watched by Indian fan boys here, and you would like others Pakistanis to say A for Apple, B for Balloon … Yes Sir three bags full Sir, so the Indians can have the impression that all is A OK. If burying your head in sand makes you feel better then by all means please do that. I will rather confront the problem; after all I am ethnically Afghan and you guys remain barrel-heads from Kakul.

^^ The instance you brought in the Pushtoonistan issue in this thread, so had already called A for Almond instead of an Apple. So no need to play the chastity card.

I will let you guys in on some historical facts from the past…. I have personally checked these facts with Aslam Khattak, he happened to be close relative of ours.

“……According to many historians including Humayun Gauhar and Aslam Khattak (” A Pathan Odyssey) a confederation almost happened with Afghanistan in 1956.

The missed opportunity came in 1956-57 when Aslam Khattak was first our First Secretary and then Ambassador in Kabul. By then we had a full-blown ‘Afghan Problem’. Prime Minister Suharawardhy called a meeting in which Army Chief General Ayub Khan “dismissed our neighboring country in proper Sandhurst style. ‘Afghan problem?’ he said gruffly. ‘What is the Afghan problem? A little strategic bombing and an armoured thrust would settle it once and for all!.’” It was then that Pakistan, with Aslam Khattak in ‘Track Two’ mode, so to speak, started the proposal for a Pakistan-Afghan confederation. He wanted to get Prime Minister Sardar Daud on his side because “Daud honestly believed that the Pathans were oppressed in Pakistan. He considered it a duty to help his brethren. He may also have been suspicious about the ‘A’, for Afghan (Afghanica) province in Pakistan. Did it mean we wanted to take over his country? At the same time, we thought that Daud was in league with India and bent upon dividing our country with Delhi. As was often the case in such circumstance, both sides were wrong.” Daud was King Zahir Shah’s first cousin and married to the King’s sister. It was he who eventually deposed Zahir Shah. Khattak went to see Daud and told him that he wanted “to remove the misunderstanding between our countries…”

But consider. If the confederation had happened, it would have automatically meant the end of the Parity Principle and One Unit because the anti-democratic 1956 Constitution would have had to be changed. There would have been no Ayub Khan regime and East Pakistan may still have been with us. The Soviets would not have such a large country. No Soviet occupation means no Jihad. No Jihad means no Mujahideen. The Americans could not have created Osama bin Laden. No Osama means no 9/11. Source Humayun Gauhar

Next, Khattak separately met the “royal uncles”, Shah Wali and Shah Mahmood, and took them into confidence. “I told him that Pakistan and Afghanistan would have to form a confederation if they were to survive threats from the USSR and India.” After considerable humming and hawing both agreed to take the idea further. “Now I was ready to try my hand with Sardar Daud, whom I thought would be my most difficult hurdle.” After Daud had made his complaints and Khattak had clarified them, including the letter ‘A’ in the name ‘Pakistan’, they decided that there should be an exchange of visits between King Zahir Shah and President Iskander Mirza. Actually both President Mirza and Prime Minister Suhrawardy went to Kabul together, which is highly unusual. While King and President were involved in ceremony, the two Prime Ministers started talking. After they left, Khattak continued the dialogue with Daud, who “suggested that we include some friendly missions in our discussions, such as Turkey and the USA. Sardar Daud said that the Americans should foot the bill of our mutual development projects when we confederated. Both sides would maintain internal autonomy, he proposed, but they would form a Central Government for defence, foreign policy, foreign trade and communications. The Prime Ministers would rotate.”

If you are surprised at how far the dialogue went, there was more. Feroz Khan Noon had replaced Suhrawardy as Prime Minister. Khattak raised the question of head of state of the confederation with him. “In his grand way [Noon] said we should have no difficulty accepting King Zahir Shah as the constitutional head of state. ‘After all, for some time after independence we had a Christian queen. Now we would have a Muslim man’. President Mirza concurred in this.” When Khattak next met Daud, he said that “…a confederation was the correct step to realise our common destiny. I noted that Pakistan was a democratic country and asked what would be the position of the King. He promptly replied, ‘We shall be a republic if Pakistan so desires.’” So here was Pakistan ready to accept the constitutional monarchy of Zahir Shah in the new Pak-Afghan confederation and there was Afghanistan prepared to become a republic.

As to the USA, Aslam Khattak says, “The Americans agreed to help in a big way. They were prepared to enlarge Karachi harbour and to develop another port. They agreed to provide fifty locomotives and five hundred wagons and to extend the Chaman railway to Kandahar and the Torkham rail line to Jalalabad. Sardar Daud wanted them to extend the Jalalabad railhead to Kabul and to commit to connect Kandahar and Kabul by rail.” They had actually got into post-confederation details.

Then came mistakes. Daud came to Pakistan and while inspecting a shipyard in Karachi a bullet ricocheted off a ship and hit Aslam Khattak instead. Undaunted, they decided to bring Ghaffar Khan into the equation. He was released from prison and sent to Kabul, where he agreed to help in removing Pakistan-Afghan differences provided President Mirza agreed to hold a referendum on the One Unit. Mirza agreed. The American Ambassador in Karachi assured Ghaffar Khan through the American Ambassador in Kabul that the referendum would be held. But it wasn’t. “I have never known,” says Aslam Khattak, “exactly why he did not go ahead and do the job that he said he would. He may have got word from some important Pathans in Pakistan that, if the Afghans stopped speaking about the Pushtuns, the Punjabis would literally turn them into camp followers and second-class citizens. At any rate a great chance to change the face of history was missed.”

An opportunity was missed and a great mistake was made. We are living with the consequences of that missed opportunity. OR IS IT?

no_bullshit.jpg

Because words sometimes fall on deaf ears.

This is exactly the point ... CARs and others were also part of it at one stage and the more coordination and cooperation we have with other states the better it is. But Pak Afghan were same country so here we talk about integration and unification. There is no benefit in fragmentation and division. Unity is the way forward. By Unity i don't mean intimidation and hegemony of bigger powers in region towards weaker countries like Afghanistan. The policy Pakistan and Iran had been employing in Afghanistan. I want cooperation similar to between EU and NATO states etc.

You talk about "other ethnicities". I say we are Muslims, why should we even think on ethnic lines? This fragmentation on basis of ethnicity is nothing to be proud of. If anything it goes to show our degradation as humans. Why should we give our loyalties to something other then Islam.

Do you genuinely believe that this fragmentation and division on the basis of ethnicities like Tajiks, Uzbaks, Hazara, Punjabi, Sindhi, Baluchi Pashtun, etc etc etc is the way forward?

Can you not see what they have done to Afghanistan and where is it taking it?

We can not turn around from our objectives that are vital for our development just because some racist insecure idiots will not like it. Be them anyone; pashtun uzbaks or punjabis. If they have trouble with us getting united on the basis of Islam and working together, forgetting our differences and burying our misconceptions then they are either confused or they are traitors like Ghafar Khan etc. If they are confused and dont have sense of direction then we have to educate them but if they are outright traitors like Ghafar Khan then we have to remove them from our way as we can not let them hold the whole lot of us hostage to their racist bigotry instigated on the behest of our enemies.

How is it that they further their political agendas? These so called ethnic politicians can only survive by spreading hate and mistrust.

Punjabis are your enemies they are coming to kill you. Tajiks are outsider get united to get rid of them. etc etc etc.

What did divisions on the basis of ethnicities did to Yugoslavia or Hutu and Tutsi in Africa? Google it and see it for yourself.

If you are sitting here and telling me that i should give up on the idea that we have to get united and integrate slowly, for the reasons of none other but to develop ourselves and better the prospects for our coming generation, just because there are some idiots that are getting paid by Iran or India or Russia etc and they may not like our ideas of unity cause they will lose their power that is based on fragmentation then you are a ... i will let you pass the judgement on yourself.

We are Muslims. This is a one group, a bigger set. Now if you want to divide this group on whatever basis, how will you go about doing it?

You can not do it by telling good things about others group members because that will only bring them together. if you want to split this group into anything you will have do it by spreading hate and mistrust.

You seems to be content with this mutual mistrust and hate i am not. You may get intimidated by those that are spreading by it do not. You may even agree with me in principle but the daunting nature of this task will silent you it will not silent me.
Hmmm..Ummat and Khilafat...where's Musey and Mohammad Bin Qasim? :D

P.S. FYKI 'Unity' among Muslims can also come without fading out borders, if you know what i mean. It is not necessary that one has to JOIN with the other by removing the demarcation under ONE leadership only that would unite us. Unity, most importantly, has to come inside our brains before it can be reflected in our actions, and guess what, your stance on this is NOT helping the case! We all can remain united and a 'single entity' without diluting our sub-identities. It works, just give it a try.

xeric you used to have few brain cells. Seem like they are long depleted now.

Do me a favour and read the posts carefully. Dont have time to explain same thing million times over.

Many Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom