What's new

Defense Minister Has No Objection to U.S. Interceptor Missiles

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin on Wednesday said he has no objection to the deployment of U.S. interceptor missiles on Korean soil but no intention of buying them for the Korean army either.

The U.S. hopes to station Terminal High Altitude Area Defense or THAAD missiles here that are part of its missile defense system in Asia, which is chiefly aimed at keeping China in check.

The THAAD is capable of intercepting missiles at an altitude of 40 to 150 km. It costs about W2 trillion (US$1=W1,023) to deploy one THAAD battery with 48 interceptor missiles. Two to four such batteries would be needed for the defense of major parts of the Korean Peninsula, according to experts.

Kim was replying to a question from New Politics Alliance for Democracy lawmaker Kim Sung-gon in the National Assembly. He said he does not object to the THAAD's deployment if the USFK deploys it with American money, because it has "an advantage."

The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - Defense Minister Has No Objection to U.S. Interceptor Missiles

Smart guy - I didn't say I don't want it, I just don't want to pay for it. :D

Maybe they will get it on "loan" basis.

Importantly, its a 'green light' for US Forces to deploy more naval and ground units with said capability.

Importantly, its a 'green light' for US Forces to deploy more naval and ground units with said capability.

I agree, which is why I said on loan, to temper local objections. Right now, the Korean govt. has to thread softly on account of the series of problems they are facing there.

I agree, which is why I said on loan, to temper local objections. Right now, the Korean govt. has to thread softly on account of the series of problems they are facing there.

Agreed. South Korean government is suffering from lack / poor public support as it is. Its not good to be too radical in decision making.

Current Korea government pro-China, or seek for most benefit from China market.

Current Korea government pro-China, or seek for most benefit from China market.

Its more a tight balance, mate. Just like her geographical situation, South Korea's main competitors are also her two most immediate neighbors: Japan and China. The economy of South Korea is actually fluctuating and their government is having to deal with a devaluation of the Won. Its a tight rope situation for Seoul.

Its more a tight balance, mate. Just like her geographical situation, South Korea's main competitors are also her two most immediate neighbors: Japan and China. The economy of South Korea is actually fluctuating and their government is having to deal with a devaluation of the Won. Its a tight rope situation for Seoul.
Yes, absolutely correct. But If u r a Korean, the benefit from today China or Japan which side can get more to S.Korea ? in economy & diplomacy.

Yes, absolutely correct. But If u r a Korean, the benefit from today China or Japan which side can get more to S.Korea ? in economy & diplomacy.

I have all respect for South Korea, they are playing a tight rope balance to remain 'neutral'. They host US forces, they have an active 'enemy' for a northern neighbor which happens to be a nuclear power. Whilst at the same time know that their nuclear northern neighbor is practically a tributary state of the People's Republic of China, which happens to be a major trading partner of South Korea. And then they have a territoriality situation with JAPAN in Dokdo/Takeshima, as well has historical aversion with Japan, all the while enjoying a major trading partnership with Japan, which happens to be its colonial master a century ago.

Geez. Talk about political , economic balancing ! lol

I give it to the Koreans. :lol::tup:

I have all respect for South Korea, they are playing a tight rope balance to remain 'neutral'. They host US forces, they have an active 'enemy' for a northern neighbor which happens to be a nuclear power. Whilst at the same time know that their nuclear northern neighbor is practically a tributary state of the People's Republic of China, which happens to be a major trading partner of South Korea. And then they have a territoriality situation with JAPAN in Dokdo/Takeshima, as well has historical aversion with Japan, all the while enjoying a major trading partnership with Japan, which happens to be its colonial master a century ago.

Geez. Talk about political , economic balancing ! lol

I give it to the Koreans. :lol::tup:
There'r two things important for Korean and they must need them:
1. the Reunification of the Korean peninsula get support from China is more useful than America.
2. China huge market for Korean company.

Of course S. Korea must not object to these missile defence. The movie "The Interview" is about to premiere soon.

1. the Reunification of the Korean peninsula get support from China is more useful than America.

Ideally, it would be pertinent for the realization of the unification of both North and South Korea. Now, how that can be systematically realized remains the big issue and question. Namely the factors that remain a roadblock:

1) What to do with the North Korean regime?
2) The active armed forces of North Korea would have to demilitarize and integrate with South Korea
or
3)South Korean military would have to demilitarize and integrate with North Korea
4) The abject poverty of most North Koreans would provide an economic burden for South Korea to modernize it in the event of reunification
5) The issue of American military presence
6) Russia's calculus
7) China's calculus
8) Japan's calculus

Remember that during the dawn of the 20th century, Korea was a strategic issue for major players in North East Asia: China, Russia and Japan had interests in Korea. Russia had strategic interests in Korea per se its presence in Port Arthur and China had a strategic interest in Korea, namely its preference to keep Korea a buffer state within China's (then the Imperial Qing Dynasty) sphere of orbit. Japan, of course, had its own designs for Korea.

I believe that to this day, Korea will remain , indefinitely, a choke point for these said regional powers. And of course now we can add USA to this party.

Ideally, it would be pertinent for the realization of the unification of both North and South Korea. Now, how that can be systematically realized remains the big issue and question. Namely the factors that remain a roadblock:

1) What to do with the North Korean regime?
2) The active armed forces of North Korea would have to demilitarize and integrate with South Korea
or
3)South Korean military would have to demilitarize and integrate with North Korea
4) The abject poverty of most North Koreans would provide an economic burden for South Korea to modernize it in the event of reunification
5) The issue of American military presence
6) Russia's calculus
7) China's calculus
8) Japan's calculus

Remember that during the dawn of the 20th century, Korea was a strategic issue for major players in North East Asia: China, Russia and Japan had interests in Korea. Russia had strategic interests in Korea per se its presence in Port Arthur and China had a strategic interest in Korea, namely its preference to keep Korea a buffer state within China's (then the Imperial Qing Dynasty) sphere of orbit. Japan, of course, had its own designs for Korea.

I believe that to this day, Korea will remain , indefinitely, a choke point for these said regional powers. And of course now we can add USA to this party.
1. N.Korea is weak, America & S.Korea so strong. 38° Armistice Line still work, why Saddam Iraq destroyed but N.Korea safely live here ? Close to China. Korean wanna Reunification of the Korean peninsula, they need China support if American can solve this case, there should be one Korea decades years ago.

2. add USA to the party? It's the result of WWII PacificWar.

I'm always wondering a possibility that whether china can help SK to destroy the NK regime to reunify the Korea peninsula, the pre-condition is US out of Korea peninsula. but i think SK don't want unification, not now at least.

South Korea knows that. They are waiting for China to complete transformation. The future of Korea depends on China ability to resolve the Korean trait problem. The US never interest in unify Korea for their own self interest. They do that to the Middle East and want to that to happen in Korean peninsula.

I'm always wondering a possibility that whether china can help SK to destroy the NK regime to reunify the Korea peninsula, the pre-condition is US out of Korea peninsula. but i think SK don't want unification, not now at least.
They are waiting for us to complete our transformation.

Back
Top Bottom