fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Defence budget up by 17 pc

Sunday, June 06, 2010

By Shakil Shaikh

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Saturday increased its defence budget by 16.935 per cent by allocating Rs 442.173 billion for 2010-11. This reflects a marginal increase of around five per cent in real terms in defence spending if the inflation rate of 12 per cent is taken into account.

“Security is our topmost concern,” the newly-inducted Finance Minister, Abdul Hafeez Sheikh, announced in his budget speech, saying: “We are facing a situation in which our armed forces, paramilitary forces and security forces are laying down their lives ... They should know from this House that we all stand by them.”

This increase in the defence budget of around Rs 64 billion was considered as “a must” given the intensified battle against the Taliban insurgents. In the outgoing fiscal, Pakistan allocated Rs 342.913 billion for defence but it was revised to Rs 378.135 billion by the end of the fiscal 2009-10.

India last February announced Rs 1.47 trillion ($32 billion) defence budget, which speaks of its ambitions in the region.

Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has already pointed towards the Pakistan-specific Indian military doctrines such as the cold start. “We remain concerned over Pakistan-specific Indian military doctrines such as the cold start envisaging a limited conventional war under the nuclear overhand, huge increase in the Indian military budget and massive weapon acquisition,” said the prime minister.

India is getting modern weaponry from the western sources, including the United States. Though Americans have been giving financial assistance to Pakistan, the inflow of such assistance is cumbersome.

The Gilani administration has committed all-out help to the armed forces, especially the Army, to effectively deal with the menace of terrorism and militancy. The government has also allocated Rs 3.88 billion for 52 ongoing and 13 new schemes of defence division under the Public Sector Development Programme.

It has allocated Rs 911.19 million for the new Gwadar International Airport, while Rs 800 million has been allocated for the Pakistan Communication Satellite System (Pakset-IR), apart from Rs 346.6 million for Pakset project (Phase-I Extension). About Rs 170.56 million has been allocated for the Satellite Bus Development Facility (Phase-I) plus a number of other projects.

I was referring to the ministry of finance website and I find budgetary documents for 2009-10 and 2010-11. Can some one kindly point me to a source where I can get budgetary highlights for previous years.

Do you also have information regarding budget allocation for army, navy, PAF ?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom