What's new

Debate Heats Up About Mosque Near Ground Zero

i have no strong view on the mosque, am pretty indifferent as to if it gets built or not

but my primary fascination is watching how public discourse is being played out

am reading with dismay how islam and terrorism are the same thing in the minds of millions of people in the US, this story highlights that

islam, the name of islam and the beliefs of muslims takes such a bashing in public discourse and worldwide events that its quite unsettling, 10 negative comments are followed by one or two comments with some conciliatory or positive tone.

as if people pay attention to the not so negative points after a barrage of negative ones

christianity also takes a bashing

judaism gets a free pass, to even bring up jewish religious beliefs would cause an outcry

And if you are looking at the reasons at why people are protesting some of them don't even make any sense.

For example the tea party leader said derisivley that this will be a monument to worship their "Monkey God". Indians will straightaway know that how wrong this is and anyone who has an inkling of knowledge of Islam will know how wrong this statement is.

Like I mentioned before the NYC board which represents the local community has approved it, so they don't have any problem. The Mayor of NY who is himself jewish has supported it fully. This shows that the locals support the community centre.

What is happening nowis people who are notknowledgable on Islam or people like Sarah Palin are trying to weigh in on the issue. Hencethe move to bypass the local NY development board meetings and lodging a case in the landmarks tribunal.
Okay, let's take your argument. But how about it just being a common monument that represent's humanity rather than have any Islamic touch? No other religious community is adding community-based colour to this no matter how multi-cultural it is.

That's what I want to know, why such anger over refusal of this? A civil monument where all can come and pray for peace together is better than this.

That's what I want to know, why such anger over refusal of this?

i personally find the tone and reasoning behind the remarks against it unsettling.

its clearly implying that what there is something sooo offensive about islam that the sight of a mosque near ground zero is unbearable, i dont care whether it gets built or not but following the public discourse has been a less than pleasant experience.

They contend that the project, with an estimated cost of $100 million, is intended to span the divide between Muslim and non-Muslim, not widen it.

This mosque if built will ignite more anti Islam feeling among Americans, not just that IMHO, even if a mosque is built at the place, the Americans wont be able to win the hearts of those people (extremists). so again it will be a wasteful project.

i personally find the tone and reasoning behind the remarks against it unsettling.

its clearly implying that what there is something sooo offensive about islam that the sight of a mosque near ground zero is unbearable, i dont care whether it gets built or not but following the public discourse has been a less than pleasant experience.

I dont advice American muslims to build it on ground zero it will lead to some neo-con extremist to attack it one day. Better to build it somewhere else less headache in my book.

The decision to build at so close to Ground Zero is nothing more than a blatant insult to Americans. Yes, we can argue about the legality of it and yes, it is with private fund on legally purchased land. But there is no denying the 'Islamic' factor on Sept 11, 2001 and like it or not Islam is the controversy at the moment, not just in the US but in the rest of 'the world' as well.

I say that we allow the mosque to be built. Its ostentatiousness will inevitably attract anti-American religious leaders who believe they 'won' this battle over the weak Americans and will spout their hatred for US in their sermons. The muslims routinely cry that their religion have been 'hijacked' by extremists and this visually loud mosque and its inevitable anti-America religious leadership will reinforce the belief that Islam is an 'extremist' religion being proudly displayed among US.

Congrats...

The decision to build at so close to Ground Zero is nothing more than a blatant insult to Americans. Yes, we can argue about the legality of it and yes, it is with private fund on legally purchased land. But there is no denying the 'Islamic' factor on Sept 11, 2001 and like it or not Islam is the controversy at the moment, not just in the US but in the rest of 'the world' as well.

I say that we allow the mosque to be built. Its ostentatiousness will inevitably attract anti-American religious leaders who believe they 'won' this battle over the weak Americans and will spout their hatred for US in their sermons. The muslims routinely cry that their religion have been 'hijacked' by extremists and this visually loud mosque and its inevitable anti-America religious leadership will reinforce the belief that Islam is an 'extremist' religion being proudly displayed among US.

Congrats...

I am sure many Americans will head over to pray there from the overcrowded one a dozen blocks away. :pop:

I am sure many Americans will head over to pray there from the overcrowded one a dozen blocks away. :pop:
And they will Youtube those anti-US sermons for all Americans to see...:D

Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom