What's new

DCNS Hopeful of Australian And Indian Submarine Contracts This Year

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
shortfin__1456142689.jpg

DCNS is hoping for a positive response for its submarine bid in Australia and commissioning of the first submarine to India this year.

“Winning of a major naval defence export contract, in particular in Australia will require sustained effort throughout the year,” the company said in a statement Monday.

“Commissioning of the first Indian submarine, transfer of the two LHDs to the Egyptian flag, maintenance of the Saudi Arabian frigates and the Malaysian submarines, delivery of strategic equipment for the Brazilian submarine programme are also part of the priorities for 2016,” DCNS stated.

DCNS is pitching Shortfin Barracuda Block 1A submarine against ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems’ (TKMS) Type 261 submarine and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries-Kawasaki Heavy Industries’ Soryu submarine in Australian $36 billion contract to replace it’s Collins class submarines expected to enter service in 2025.

DCNS in December last year had offered the Australian Government complete access to the stealth technologies utilised on board French nuclear-powered general-purpose attack submarines (SSNs) and ballistic missile submarines (SSBNs).

DCNS Hopeful of Australian And Indian Submarine Contracts This Year

Australia is going for Japnese sub not french due to price issues. I saw interview of a law maker yesterday. French are looters when it comes to defense purchase

Australia is going for Japnese sub not french due to price issues. I saw interview of a law maker yesterday. French are looters when it comes to defense purchase

Japanese soryu class subs are costliest.

Japanese soryu class subs are costliest.
Apparently french offered modified baracuda without nuke propulsion. Also soryu tech is superior and also will suffer zero import duties due to FTA. French are trying to rip everyone off.

Apparently french offered modified baracuda without nuke propulsion. Also soryu tech is superior and also will suffer zero import duties due to FTA. French are trying to rip everyone off.

French tenders is almost all but gone, the proposal is not in any way interesting.

The deciding factor I think lies in local production. Personally, I do not have any preference on either Type-214 and Soryu class. There are problem for both.

For type 214, it is quite not suitable for Australian water in the south pacific, the problem although can be ratified with redesign of the hull, the ship may be a bit more expensive. While Typ-214 have extended range and packed more fire power.

For Soryu, the downside is that Soryu are less armament (6 torpedo vs 8 in Type-214) also have a larger crew. (I think it's 65 vs ~30) the ship is slightly faster (not much tho) and the speculated to be a bit quieter (Because of the kockums AIP), also the sub was build to use in the same ocean, so literally Australia can buy them off Japan without redesign

They should have a decision soon tho, but either way, we need those sub....

French tenders is almost all but gone, the proposal is not in any way interesting.

The deciding factor I think lies in local production. Personally, I do not have any preference on either Type-214 and Soryu class. There are problem for both.

For type 214, it is quite not suitable for Australian water in the south pacific, the problem although can be ratified with redesign of the hull, the ship may be a bit more expensive. While Typ-214 have extended range and packed more fire power.

For Soryu, the downside is that Soryu are less armament (6 torpedo vs 8 in Type-214) also have a larger crew. (I think it's 65 vs ~30) the ship is slightly faster (not much tho) and the speculated to be a bit quieter (Because of the kockums AIP), also the sub was build to use in the same ocean, so literally Australia can buy them off Japan without redesign

True it should be finalised soon i guess but soryu is leading the competition right now considering how china opposed the sale during the meeting with Aussie foreign minister.

True it should be finalised soon i guess but soryu is leading the competition right now considering how china opposed the sale during the meeting with Aussie foreign minister.

Soryu is indeed leading, Unless Germany planned to make the sub here, I don't think they will win the contract at all. It would be too costly and unfamiliar if the sub is made in Germany.

On the other hand, buying from Japan is a gamble, because Japan have never export anything like that to another country, so no one actually know what kind of after sale service we will be getting. Could be superb or it could be crap. So this is probably still a 2 horses race, until they have announced a winner, it could be anyone guess.

If a fair competition is held .... its Type 216 winning , without any doubts.

TKMS has won the Singapore contract, for Type 218SG derived from Type216 concept.

Aussies are going to get Soryu which is better than French offer.

@PARIKRAMA
And about India buying, is he talking about the Additional 3 Scorpene or the P-75I ???

Aussies are going to get Soryu which is better than French offer.

@PARIKRAMA
And about India buying, is he talking about the Additional 3 Scorpene or the P-75I ???
If Australian Will Get the Soryu I Bet It will Paves Indian Way to Acquiring It.

[QUOTE="sarjenprabhu, post: 8176372, member: 1416]Aussies are going to get Soryu which is better than French offer.

@PARIKRAMA
And about India buying, is he talking about the Additional 3 Scorpene or the P-75I ???[/QUOTE]

Germans winning it. I can see it and the men at TKMS too.

No, he is talking about the induction of INS Kalavari.

The follow on orders won't be given before the 6th hull is fabricated.

If Australian Will Get the Soryu I Bet It will Paves Indian Way to Acquiring It.

unfortunately Soryu's are not in P-75I... its a good sub but doesn't have VSL to fire BrahMos which is one of the main requirement of P75-I

Germans winning it. I can see it and the men at TKMS too.

No, he is talking about the induction of INS Kalavari.

The follow on orders won't be given before the 6th hull is fabricated.

which one type 214??? i think its a smaller Sub than Scorpene can it fit a VLS and fire Brahmos??

unfortunately Soryu's are not in P-75I... its a good sub but doesn't have VSL to fire BrahMos which is one of the main requirement of P75-I

which one type 214??? i think its a smaller Sub than Scorpene can it fit a VLS and fire Brahmos??

Type 216 concept.

The last I heard, a Type 216 could eventually prowl the oceans someday.

Australia's New Submarines: Run Silent, Run German? | The National Interest Blog
The Type 216 design provides space for up to 18 heavyweight torpedoes or a mix of weapons that could include missiles and mines, fired through six bow tubes.

Back
Top Bottom