What's new

DCNS Hopeful of Australian And Indian Submarine Contracts This Year

The last I heard, a Type 216 could eventually prowl the oceans someday.

Australia's New Submarines: Run Silent, Run German? | The National Interest Blog

Well, all I can say now is that the German contender and Japan contender is the only one that are largely still in this.

We have all but rejected the Swedish A-26 design (for lacking of export experience) and the French Design we had considered too bulky and complicated to work. Again, I think the Japanese Design is somewhat ahead at this point, but if the German dangle enough carrot in front of us, we could easily swing into German favour too.

Again, the ultimate decision would come down to which is more bang for the bucks. And as I said, local manufacturing is a big issue. Which is something both aren't really keen to give.

Well, all I can say now is that the German contender and Japan contender is the only one that are largely still in this.

We have all but rejected the Swedish A-26 design (for lacking of export experience) and the French Design we had considered too bulky and complicated to work. Again, I think the Japanese Design is somewhat ahead at this point, but if the German dangle enough carrot in front of us, we could easily swing into German favour too.

Again, the ultimate decision would come down to which is more bang for the bucks. And as I said, local manufacturing is a big issue. Which is something both aren't really keen to give.

You should have tried building your own sub me thinks. With either the Germans or the Japanese. Maybe next time.

You should have tried building your own sub me thinks. With either the Germans or the Japanese. Maybe next time.

We build the Collins class, and it was supposed to be the same for the Sea 1000 project back in 2008. But after considering the logistic and the ASC ability of building modern submarine, we need to put more money to upgrade the shipyard building the sub than to actually buy them.

Although we do want to build our own sub, but the money and the contender did not give or allow such option. However, as I say, this is still a serious consideration on the program, and if either of them are willing to invest in Australian shipbuilding so we can build our sub for this without unacceptable penalties, that would mean a major swing to the contract.

We build the Collins class, and it was supposed to be the same for the Sea 1000 project back in 2008. But after considering the logistic and the ASC ability of building modern submarine, we need to put more money to upgrade the shipyard building the sub than to actually buy them.

Although we do want to build our own sub, but the money and the contender did not give or allow such option. However, as I say, this is still a serious consideration on the program, and if either of them are willing to invest in Australian shipbuilding so we can build our sub for this without unacceptable penalties, that would mean a major swing to the contract.

Can you not do what India is doing with aircraft? Get the foreign company to partner with an Australian shipyard and have the submarines built at home. Give them a 50-50 share in the project. And possibly even add future business on the mix.

Can you not do what India is doing with aircraft? Get the foreign company to partner with an Australian shipyard and have the submarines built at home. Give them a 50-50 share in the project. And possibly even add future business on the mix.

lol, actually, as I said, we did.

When the Sea 1000 project comes into light. We were to partner with whoever won the contract and build the sub in Australia, Australian Submarine Corporation shipyard in South Australia.

However, in the early stage of selection, virtually no country would offer a package deal that would include Australian shipbuilding with reasonable cost, primary because the contract is for 12 vessel only and the ASC shipyard is seriously outdated. And those proposal we got that would include building the sub in our soil is deemed too expensive as a lot of resource have to be invested in ASC shipyard before said contract can continue.

Therefore, the approach have changed to buying off the shelf sub to lower the cost, but insisted that a mantainence base should be build in Australia to service those ship.

But as we say we would consider anay proposal, and if the German decided to give us some incentive (like we got from the Spanish with our Hobart class destroyer and our Adelaide class LHD) then we may game with German, if not, the Japanese proposal is currently leading, not by much for inter-operability and price.

lol, actually, as I said, we did.

When the Sea 1000 project comes into light. We were to partner with whoever won the contract and build the sub in Australia, Australian Submarine Corporation shipyard in South Australia.

However, in the early stage of selection, virtually no country would offer a package deal that would include Australian shipbuilding with reasonable cost, primary because the contract is for 12 vessel only and the ASC shipyard is seriously outdated. And those proposal we got that would include building the sub in our soil is deemed too expensive as a lot of resource have to be invested in ASC shipyard before said contract can continue.

Therefore, the approach have changed to buying off the shelf sub to lower the cost, but insisted that a mantainence base should be build in Australia to service those ship.

But as we say we would consider anay proposal, and if the German decided to give us some incentive (like we got from the Spanish with our Hobart class destroyer and our Adelaide class LHD) then we may game with German, if not, the Japanese proposal is currently leading, not by much for inter-operability and price.

I don't know if your negotiators are pushing for it as much as they should. Take India, the new P-75I project may be built by a company that has no experience in ever having built a submarine ever, so the infrastructure has to be built from scratch. And the estimated contract is expected to be $10-12B USD for 6. I don't know how far the Japanese will agree to go along, but I'm sure the Germans can.

Good luck, I suppose.

I don't know if your negotiators are pushing for it as much as they should. Take India, the new P-75I project may be built by a company that has no experience in ever having built a submarine ever, so the infrastructure has to be built from scratch. And the estimated contract is expected to be $10-12B USD for 6. I don't know how far the Japanese will agree to go along, but I'm sure the Germans can.

Good luck, I suppose.

well, we contracted 12 boats for 50 to 60 billions dollars......

Anyway, thanks.

almost 5 billion a Boat... what kinda shit is that... any tot or any other offer included???

50 billions is the whole program cost. The boat itself is about 2-3 billions each, but training and the logistic base as well as the maintenance base all put together and put more than 50 billions in the whole program.

50 billions is the whole program cost. The boat itself is about 2-3 billions each, but training and the logistic base as well as the maintenance base all put together and put more than 50 billions in the whole program.

but still its unnecessarily a huge cost... Soryu's each boat would cost less than a billion, paying 2-3 billion for each is absurd man

but still its unnecessarily a huge cost... Soryu's each boat would cost less than a billion, paying 2-3 billion for each is absurd man

lol, I don't know man, but this is what they are talking about lol...

Back
Top Bottom