What's new

David Cameron backs Turkey for EU !

Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
David Cameron backs Turkey for EU

DAVID Cameron has criticised France and other nations blocking Turkey's membership of the European Union, saying Britain knows what it feels like to be "shut out of the club".

The British Prime Minister, who arrived in Ankara for talks yesterday, was to give a speech declaring his anger that Turkey is being denied access, and promising to be the country's "strongest possible advocate".

In a reminder that France once rejected Britain's application, he quoted General Charles de Gaulle's description of Britain as "not European". In a message to Germany, the other key opponent of membership -- which has only a limited presence in Afghanistan -- he pointed to Turkey's significant contribution there as well as its wider strategic importance.

"When I think about what Turkey has done to defend Europe as a NATO ally, and what Turkey is doing today in Afghanistan alongside our European allies, it makes me angry that your progress towards EU membership can be frustrated in the way it has been," he said.

"It's just wrong to say Turkey can guard the camp but not be allowed to sit inside the tent."

The visit is intended to reassure Turkey that British support remains, despite the change of government.

More pressing than the EU issue is Turkey's strained relations with Israel after the botched raid on ships trying to break the Gaza blockade.

Mr Cameron was expected to urge Turkey not to give up on the friendship.

The Times

David Cameron backs Turkey for EU | The Australian

Surprise surprise!
When did England really oppose the Turkey EU Membership like Germany and France do?
My hunch is that Cameron is on a mission by Washington to bring Turkey back to the fold. Just like it is hard to sometimes differentiate between American and Israeli stances it is hard to do so between American and British stances. Blair may be gone but the 10 Downing Streets still has a 'Poodle'.
In short, Cameron cannot 'deliver' anything so long as Germany and France oppose. This is Washington's diplomacy via Britain.

Surprise surprise!
When did England really oppose the Turkey EU Membership like Germany and France do?
My hunch is that Cameron is on a mission by Washington to bring Turkey back to the fold. Just like it is hard to sometimes differentiate between American and Israeli stances it is hard to do so between American and British stances. Blair may be gone but the 10 Downing Streets still has a 'Poodle'.
In short, Cameron cannot 'deliver' anything so long as Germany and France oppose. This is Washington's diplomacy via Britain.

Apparently yes , but i believe it is extremely unfair not to have Turkey into EU , most turks believe that France and Germany don't want a Muslim country in EU.

UK and Greece support Turkey's accession to EU. This may all be thanks to German and French opposition. They know that their support for Turkey will not have any results due to German and French vetoes. I am sure Greece is a hypocrite but I am not too sure about UK.

Reminds of Rudolf Hess the last Nazi prisoner who died in 1987 serving a life sentence at Spandau Prison. Rudolf Hess was old and sick but his release was always blocked by Soviets in 1980s. UK use to criticize Soviets veto every year. After many years of hearing UK criticism Soviets did not cast its veto to release Hess. So embarrassed UK was forced to cast its veto revealing British hypocrisy.

See interesting development indirectly he is blaming France & Germany as touble makers !!!

Interesting strategic move ...

I think turkey should be independent be part of NATO

Turkish gov is smart we will support their initiatives :pakistan:

They are role model for all Middle east and Muslim nations secular and also very proud nation

Mods can you Merge i started a thread bout David Cameron's visit.

I dont understand this simple fact. Turkey is a country basically situated in Asia, politically and geographically.

List of Asian countries

asia-map.jpg

So why is Turkey trying to get a European Union membership?

As for BB's comment about EU being biased against Muslim nations, which countries in Europe are Muslim/Islamic? IIRC Bosnia, Serbia are potential candidates for membership while Kosovo is not yet recognized as an independent nation by all the EU members, though UN/ICJ recently ruled that Kosovo's independence is legitimate!

I dont understand this simple fact. Turkey is a country basically situated in Asia, politically and geographically.

List of Asian countries

asia-map.jpg

As for BB's comment about EU being biased against Muslim nations, which countries in Europe are Muslim/Islamic? IIRC Bosnia, Serbia are potential candidates for membership while Kosovo is not yet recognized as an independent nation by all the EU members, though UN/ICJ recently ruled that Kosovo's independence is legitimate!

Sarkozy ? is that you ? :rofl:

That's the point. The EU is basically a Franco-German show, which is why even Britain is a half-hearted member. The anti-Muslim hysteria in France and Germany means that Turkey will never be allowed into the EU. More and more Turks are beginning to realize that after decades of rejection.

Turkey is similar in many ways to eastern European countries, except for religion. There is a world of cultural difference between western and eastern Europe, and Turkey fits into the eastern half.

If Turkey enters EU, it is almost a dead certainty that Israel and maybe Lebanon would follow suit. But Turkey will never be allowed into the EU, so it's all moot.

hmmm, maybe they want the European Union to mean countries similar to Western Europe.

who are you to ask of them anything. its their union.

Sarkozy ? is that you ? :rofl:

I asked a legit question. Do you have a legit answer other than a smart aleck comment?

Why is an Asian country trying to get a EU membership?

Btw, I wish I was Sarkozy - only for Carla Bruni!

I asked a legit question. Do you have a legit answer other than a smart aleck comment?

Why is an Asian country trying to get a EU membership?

Btw, I wish I was Sarkozy - only for Carla Bruni!

Oh i thought you were joking.
here read this off the wiki
Effect upon the EU

The Nabucco pipeline will deliver natural gas from the Caspian Sea basin to the EU member states.

Proponents of Turkey's membership argue that it is a key regional power with a large economy and the second largest military force of NATO that will enhance the EU's position as a global geostrategic player; given Turkey's geographic location and economic, political, cultural and historic ties in regions with large natural resources that are at the immediate vicinity of the EU's geopolitical sphere of influence; such as the East Mediterranean and Black Sea coasts, the Middle East, the Caspian Sea basin and Central Asia.
The Turkish high-speed railway network and the Marmaray tunnel can play an important role in improving trade and commerce between the EU and Turkey.

According to the Swedish foreign minister, Carl Bildt, "the accession of Turkey would give the EU a decisive role for stability in the eastern part of the Mediterranean and the Black Sea, which is clearly in the strategic interest of Europe." One of Turkey's key supporters for its bid to join the EU is the United Kingdom.

Upon joining the EU, Turkey's 72 million inhabitants would bestow the second largest number of MEPs in the European Parliament. Demographic projections indicate that Turkey would surpass Germany in the number of seats by 2020.

Export%20Markets%20EN.jpg

Take a look at our export chart.

This is what Cameron said today.

We are more integrated economically,militarily and politically in the EU then any other country seeking membership that negates geographic issues which is the only thing the french hang on to. Certain countries want to keep it a christian club. That is their sole reason the oppose our membership.The benefits for EU are massive just the Istanbul economy surpasses a number of member states and i don't need to get into military ties.

Last edited by a moderator:

List of Asian countries

asia-map.jpg

Membership is always political not geographical. Russia has always considered itself "European" even though only 40% of its land is in Europe proper.

Anyway, Europe and Asia are contiguous. The traditional separation has been the Ural Mountains.

If the Turks feel they are more "European" rather than "Asian" they can join the EU. But the EU does not view them as European.

Afghanistan is now considered part of South Asia by many; some club it with Central Asia; while others treat it as part of the Greater Middle-East along with Pakistan.

Last edited:
That's the point. The EU is basically a Franco-German show, which is why even Britain is a half-hearted member. The anti-Muslim hysteria in France and Germany means that Turkey will never be allowed into the EU. More and more Turks are beginning to realize that after decades of rejection.

Turkey is similar in many ways to eastern European countries, except for religion. There is a world of cultural difference between western and eastern Europe, and Turkey fits into the eastern half.

If Turkey enters EU, it is almost a dead certainty that Israel and maybe Lebanon would follow suit. But Turkey will never be allowed into the EU, so it's all moot.

Israel in the EU! The Europeans tried so hard to get rid of the Jews, and they are back in!

Israel is certainly more "european" in culture than Turkey, but that will never happen.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom