What's new

Data transfer: Pigeon faster than net in SA

Bhushan

Reaction score
Country
India

JOHANNESBURG: A South African information technology company on Wednesday proved it was faster for them to transmit data with a carrier pigeon than to send it using Telkom , the country’s leading internet service provider.

Internet speed and connectivity in Africa’s largest economy are poor because of a bandwidth shortage. It is also expensive. The 11-month-old pigeon, Winston, took one hour and eight minutes to fly the 80km from Pietermaritzburg to Durban with a data card was strapped to his leg.

Including downloading, the transfer took two hours, six minutes and 57 seconds — the time it took for only 4% of the data to be transferred using a Telkom line. :lazy:

JOHANNESBURG: A South African information technology company on Wednesday proved it was faster for them to transmit data with a carrier pigeon than to send it using Telkom , the country’s leading internet service provider.

Internet speed and connectivity in Africa’s largest economy are poor because of a bandwidth shortage. It is also expensive. The 11-month-old pigeon, Winston, took one hour and eight minutes to fly the 80km from Pietermaritzburg to Durban with a data card was strapped to his leg.

Including downloading, the transfer took two hours, six minutes and 57 seconds — the time it took for only 4% of the data to be transferred using a Telkom line. :lazy:

:rofl: :rofl: here they must learn from sub continent :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: here they must learn from sub continent :lol:

Exactly. Well I don't know whats happening in SA, but I do know that the internet in India sucks. Its slow and expensive. If I am not wrong Pakistan is doing better than us in this respect. I have heard PTCL has cheaper and better connectivity than Indian ISPs. Is that correct?

These people sing song to transfer data

Kabutar Ja..ja...ja..... mere kaamka data tu jaldi se le aa... Kabutar Ja..ja...ja.....:sarcastic:

Exactly. Well I don't know whats happening in SA, but I do know that the internet in India sucks. Its slow and expensive. If I am not wrong Pakistan is doing better than us in this respect. I have heard PTCL has cheaper and better connectivity than Indian ISPs. Is that correct?

Yup there was a comparison i read some time ago about net prices in Pak n India & Pakistan had much lower internet prices...
I will try to find that comparison & post it here...
Any ways i m using PTCL broad band(student package) its 1MB for Rs.850( it used to be 512 KB but then they doubled it :D)
Then there is Wateen wireless Rs.699 for 1MB :D
Then there r cable net providers, they are like 512KB for Rs.500 but their service is not very good..
What about prices in India..

Last edited:
Yup there was a comparison i read some time ago about net prices in Pak n India & Pakistan had much lower internet prices...
I will try to find that comparison & post it here...
Any ways i m using PTCL broad band(student package) its 1MB for Rs.850( it used to be 512 KB but then they doubled it :D)
Then there is Wateen wireless Rs.699 for 1MB :D
Then there r cable net providers, they are like 512KBPS for 500 but their service is not very good..
What about prices in India..

Converting it to India rupees it is like 500 INR for 1 Mbps(Not MBps) unlimited. To tell you the truth that is much better than what we have hear. I visited the PTCL website, they have less no of plans than the Indians, but they are better and the best thing is that all the plans are unlimited. I am feeling envious :what:

In India we have plans ranging from 256 Kbps to higher speeds. Airtel even has a 16 Mbps plan. But they will basically rob you for that and most annoying thing is data limit.

Some of the plans of BSNL
New Page 3
New Page 3

My conclusion without going into much details Pakistan has a better deal for a user like me who likes to download stuff. India has cheap plans only if you use it for surfing.

Btw an Off Topic question-
what is the basic average cost of living in Pakistan. Like in India a poor person can get a meal almost in any city at about 15-20 INR. What about Pakistan?

Last edited:
Who cares about speed..Anything above 1mb is good enough provided it is unlimited.I can easily download 20gb day off 2 mb ptcl connection.(205KB/sec)..

Converting it to India rupees it is like 500 INR for 1 Mbps(Not MBps) unlimited. To tell you the truth that is much better than what we have hear. I visited the PTCL website, they have less no of plans than the Indians, but they are better and the best thing is that all the plans are unlimited. I am feeling envious :what:

In India we have plans ranging from 256 Kbps to higher speeds. Airtel even has a 16 Mbps plan. But they will basically rob you for that and most annoying thing is data limit.

My conclusion without going into much details Pakistan has a better deal for a user like me who likes to download stuff. India has cheap plans only if you use it for surfing.

Hehaaa man there are many other packages as well
Ufone is offering a USB device Rs.4500 the price for that device, browsing speed is 1MB, and no charges for first 6 months & its unlimited(i think) :D
There are many companies who are offering this wireless broad band, then there is 'micronet' they are a bit expensive but their service is just awesome their modem works even in load shedding, meaning u can 'rock n roll' :lol: & yes PTCL is also offering 3.1MB connection, dont know its price..
& dont worry ur time will come :P

Btw an Off Topic question-
what is the basic average cost of living in Pakistan. Like in India a poor person can get a meal almost in any city at about 15-20 INR. What about Pakistan?
Thats where we are expensive :tdown:

Last edited:
Ufone is offering a USB device Rs.4500 the price for that device, browsing speed is 1MB, and no charges for first 6 months & its unlimited(i think) :D
There are many companies who are offering this wireless broad band, then there is 'micronet' they are a bit expensive but their service is just awesome their modem works even in load shedding, meaning u can 'rock n roll' :lol: & yes PTCL is also offering 3.1MB connection, dont know its price..
Actually the USB scene is not that bad here also. I myself has a USB connection, BSNL EVDO(3G) unlimited. officially 2.4 Mbps down, but I get about 1 to 1.2 Mbps after 12 at night and 500-600 Kbps during the day. It costs about 850 if u take it on rent and 650 if you buy the USB device.I am satisfied with it. Other then that Tata and Reliance also have USB which claim good speed(abt 3 Mbps) but bit costly.

Although I gave you data about BSNL many in cities here actually use private ISPs like airtel. The 16 Mbps I told you earlier costs 5000 INR for 100 GB. You can get other plans in Bangalore here

Airtel

dont worry ur time will come :P

Yeah I hope so. Actually here unlimited plans are costly otherwise okay.

How expensive is it? and I am talking about the lowest possible price for a meal. Not inside any restaurant, but in a roadside dhaba.

& dont worry ur time will come :P

PTCL's USB 3.1Mbps is 2000 per month and its works in load shedding as well( if u have laptop)

I am using World Call USB 256 Kbps for 1200 per month (unlimited of course) and its awesome. Its giving me virtually 512Kbps and I am a fan of it.

We have had our share of ridiculous download speeds just before PTCL brought BroadBand revolution.:pakistan:

How expensive is it? and I am talking about the lowest possible price for a meal. Not inside any restaurant, but in a roadside dhaba.

I usually fill my tummy at Rs. 25-30

Who cares about speed..Anything above 1mb is good enough provided it is unlimited.I can easily download 20gb day off 2 mb ptcl connection.(205KB/sec)..

Agreed. Actually I consider anything above 1 Mbps as good speed if its unlimited and if the speed is consistent you are getting a better deal in Pakistan and I say that not because you have some extremely high speed, but most of your plans are unlimited at a cheaper rate.

As far as I know, even in developed countries like Australia most of the plans have download caps, which sucks.

Last edited:
Actually the USB scene is not that bad here also. I myself has a USB connection, BSNL EVDO(3G) unlimited. officially 2.4 Mbps down, but I get about 1 to 1.2 Mbps after 12 at night and 500-600 Kbps during the day

:rofl::rofl: happens

u know what here one 'chapati'(thats what u ppl call it i think) is for Rs.5:tdown: but in Punjab a program is started to bring it down to Rs.2 n its working pretty well uptil now...
I ate 'channe nan'( Chole & chapati in ur language) for 30 Rupees in Rawalpindi it was nice especially when ur bankrupt

Last edited:
Ha ha. Enjoy your time lady. I will laugh the day I have 5000 bucks to spare for internet. :cheers:

u know what here one 'chapati'(thats waht u ppl call it i think) is for Rs.5:tdown: but in Punjab a program is started to bring it down to Rs.2 n its working pretty well uptil now...
I ate 'channe nan'( Chole & chapati in ur language) for 30 Rupees in Rawalpindi it was nice especially when ur bankrupt

Well taking the currency conversion into consideration, that's not so costly as you initially suggested. Its affordable even for a person earning $1 a day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom