What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoting other person and not answering his queries is considered _________.

However, it does not matter what you think it depends on IAF and GOI, and experience says that IAF will not be comfortable with restricted technology, when TOT is a pre-requisite and US is unable to assure full TOT at any given time. F-18SH is way too old A/C meant for sea faring navies not Ground Attacks and Air Superiority, above all its Air Frame is least aerodynamic . Fighting at heigh altitudes is not its forte and et al......

In the end its about how the production lines (Dassault and BAE systems already full fill this requirement with IAF having good amount of experience) and after sales services; with full TOT, and any American deal in this context Fails to Please any nation looking for TOT and self-reliability.

I suggest you read a bit more of the already abundant information available on this forum of each of the MMRCA Competitors. From what I am reading in your posts they don't seem to reflect expertise on either the subject of MMRCA Deal, Fighter planes, IAF Requirements, Capabilities or any other considerations involved.

Alright I am out of this... You can fill in the blanks with wotever. Its your choice at the end of the day.

I suggest you read a bit more of the already abundant information available on this forum of each of the MMRCA Competitors. From what I am reading in your posts they don't seem to reflect expertise on either the subject of MMRCA Deal, Fighter planes, IAF Requirements, Capabilities or any other considerations involved.

Alright I am out of this... You can fill in the blanks with wotever. Its your choice at the end of the day.

Yes wise decision to run out, rather than making tall claims without any prior knowledge about the subject or supporting your claims by any logical discourse!:no:

P.S: This is a Discussion forum and topics are supposed to be discussed, everyone is entitled to his/her opinions, however when making strong statements, others have to right to ask for explanations, as this being a public forum!

You got that right ..

But Whoever said that when such questions are asked the original poster making the statement has to answer each of them. Like you already know its a public forum and people are entitled to their opinion, and also to how ( and How much) they express it.

Alright I am back to reading whats going on.. Rather than expressing my opinion, as I do not seem to be good at it.

Edit - Just read your last post.. and I will let you feel a sense of victory as in you really raised legitimate questions are debunked baseless claims. ;)

Adios.

You got that right ..

But Whoever said that when such questions are asked the original poster making the statement has to answer each of them. Like you already know its a public forum and people are entitled to their opinion, and also to how ( and How much) they express it.

Alright I am back to reading whats going on.. Rather than expressing my opinion, as I do not seem to be good at it.

Adios.

Yes you may not answer BUT write statements with endings such as "End of Story" etc etc . But if I feel they are illogical statements, I will ask again and again for explanation, if you don't feel like answering, as you rightly suggested you can run out anytime.Ciao!:rolleyes:

It does not matter how good a platform you may perceive F-18SH to be, fact to the matter remains this platform has lowest Ground and Air attack capabilities; above all TOT is the major issues and un-reliability of US defense deals is a Proven fact, a change in regime or change in international scenario can make support services hard to fathom, read about Lost Decade, experience of Turkey,and other nations with US imports, you will find a painful reality, and the case of India would be even worse, knowing USA's shortsightedness and ever dynamic foreign policy!

"Lowest ground and Air attack capabilities" care to elaborate?

As for "un-reliability of US defense deals" I believe India has past experience with the grounding of its Westland Sea King and British Aerospace Sea Harrier assets due to US sanctions. Wait a minute.. British Aerospace isn't that like a British firm? What possible effect can US sanctions have on British arms?

As for "un-reliability of US defense deals" I believe India has past experience with the grounding of its Westland Sea King and British Aerospace Sea Harrier assets due to US sanctions. Wait a minute.. British Aerospace isn't that like a British firm? What possible effect can US sanctions have on British arms?

This A/C has lowest capability in comparison to Typhoon and Rafale , as this A/C has been historically a naval aircraft and not developed for Ground based operations! (I never meant its lowest capability wise in the World, I have been comparing it with Typhoon and Rafale).

British/EU Aerospace may have delay issues but it never ditches anyone! US took Pakistani money and refused to supply F-16s for a long time, its never been a case with EU.

MMRCA deal with Full TOT pre-requisite makes all US A/Cs a bad choice , if India wants FULL TOT and tech to upgrade and learn for its own programs, US surely not going to let India acquire its tech even for good amount of money, this not being a case with Typhoon and Rafale.

This A/C has lowest capability in comparison to Typhoon and Rafale , as this A/C has been historically a naval aircraft and developed for Ground based operations! (I never meant its lowest capability wise in the World, I have been comparing it with Typhoon and Rafale).

British/EU Aerospace may have delay issues but it never ditches anyone! US took Pakistani money and refused to supply F-16s for a long time, its never been a case with EU.

lowest capability? again I can't get my mind around the words 'lowest capability' please be more specific.

Is the Typhoon and Rafale superior to the Hornet? Go on tell me more.. :pop:

You haven't been paying attention, British Aerospace / Westland refused to supply spares that resulted in the grounding of India's Harrier and Sea King fleet. French refusal to supply spares for Australian Mirages prevented its deployment to Vietnam. Upon purchase of Typhoon is EU able to guarantee uninterrupted supply of spares to India? In other words is the Typhoon immune to US / UN / EU sanctions?

capturexku.png

lowest capability? again I can't get my mind around the words 'lowest capability' please be more specific.

You haven't been paying attention, British Aerospace / Westland refused to supply spares that resulted in the grounding of India's Harrier and Sea King fleet. French refusal to supply spares for Australian Mirages prevented its deployment to Vietnam. Upon purchase of Typhoon is EU able to guarantee uninterrupted supply of spares to India? In other words is the Typhoon immune to US / UN / EU sanctions?

Fine then read in detail:

Eurofighter Typhoon

Eurofighter Technology and Performance

Eurofighter Typhoon

I am not aware of British Aerospace/Westland refusal to sell spares due to some sanctions? If you can elaborate that would be great!

India has been invited to Partner EFT program, and I think its highly unlikely that any US sanctions or change in mood will affect production or TOT, once India becomes part of this program

I think you really mixing up too many things, last time the wiki points and now MMRCA with UAE. Rafale in MMRCA has one of the best T/W ratios, so doesn't need a new engine, or higher thrust. The offer to integrate the Kaveri is an additional advantage for India to customise it with our own engine. Not only that we can reduce costs by not licence producing a foreign engine, but we have total control over the engine and can develop further upgrades on our own too. That means we are not dependend on the upgrade solution the vendor gives us in future and can focuse the upgrade to our needs.

No bro... i havent..... let me ask you simple straight questions then??

First of all i am not Rafael basher.. I wish either EF or Rafael only win.. i like EF not as a plane because of offers and other benefits which we are enjoying with EADS.. they have been around us and are trying to take us a partner.... though of less level but it is good step alteast on long term in aviation... As for french i dont see that in that area..

As for the planes IAF will be able to operate any plane and customize it latter if they feel it is missing something... To say IAF has not rejected any plane ... they will be happy to use what ever they get... so simple so straight..

Coming to topic mine question will be

1) is Rafael underpowered?
2) If yes... dont we not need to fund for the development of powerful engine?
3)Kaveri Integration on Rafael looks good accepted... i like this one part... what else they have offered to us apart from this? .. As for kaveri they are not willing to give the core to us that is the IAF concern... do you have any info whether they will give core technology to us... And i am sure without core kaveri will be dumb?? doesnt it?.. I doubt on SCB technology transfer also...

The UAE instead as usual wants to customise their Rafale versions, that's why they demand higher thrust, improved radar and EWS, more weapon configs..., but that is their usual behavior, they customised and funded further upgrades at Mirage 2000, just like they did with the F16s before.

1)UAE was brought it discussion saying it is not interested in Rafael in current form thats all and France was not able to convert the deal...

The funny thing is, that you confuse the Mirage as a ground attack fighter, which was never its aim in IAF. It always served in air superiority roles and was used in Kargil in the strike role only, because our other fighters was not able to do it. Regarding EF and Rafale in A2A, please search in this thread, or google for the ATLC exercise and you will clearly change your mind.

I was not confused bro..
1) I just said if Ground Attack no no to EF or Rafael because F18 is good...
2) Not sure Rafael beats EF in A2A attack.. i think it is other way....
Any source will be great....

Most of it was reported often before, just like that the actual AESA that they now are going for is the Swashplate AESA Selex developed partly for the Gripen NG demonstrator. That has nothing to do with the initial AESA development for the EF, they just switched to reduce costs. Infact Germany was against it and wanted a fixed AESA, but the commonality to the Gripen NG development will reduce the R&D costs and UK/ITA and Selex pushed it through and still, till now the developmend is prefunded by the companies only, not by the partners. The companies already stated that they will deliver the early versions of the radar by 2015 only, but the way it goes with the EF, delays are more than likely.

IF AESA is that big concern we can bid good bye to all except Fteens... even Rafael will be no where near to them... As far as i know EF will have to provide AESA to IAF if chosen .. that is there in MMRCA Request... so EADS will have no option but to provide by begging or borrowing it from some one...

That exactly what I meant in my last post, the EF has already higher numbers, but still failed to reduce the costs to be cheaper than the Rafale, so on what basis can you say that future upgrades will be cheaper? Keep in mind that the costs are even about to rise, at the moment EF uses US Aim 120, which is cost-effective, but just like all Eurocanards, the EF will switch to METEOR when it is available.

Simple maths.... an example... When EADS announces a new generation cockpit deployment(development + manufacture) cost $5 billion and say 4 partners + india is interested..

it comes to 600 Fighter.. roughly 8.5 ^million

For France if new generation cockpit deployment (development + manufacture) cost $3 billion as of now France and India only can offered say roughly 300 fighter .. roughly 10 million...

What is your take on this?...

Yes EF is costly.... as i said earlier... EF has to quote below $10 billion to bag the order... i really doubt it will be L1 in MMRCA.. or i am wrong on this ? will it be only L1?

Once again, France is a EU country, which means they have the same restrictions, or do you forget that Germany is offering PN subs, Sweden offers AWACS, ITA/UK radars... to Pakistan too? And so far they don't sell critical techs, or weapons to China.

I dont want to take discussion on this because US started opening to china.. so will EU.... but France did some gimmics to sell to china recently.....

You still don't understand it right? EADS is a company that has 50% German shares and 50% French, infact the German shares are completelly privat, but the France gov holds shares of the French part. That means if EADS decided to help Indias civil aviation, it will be with the French together, but as I said there was never such an offer, especially not related to MMRCA although I would be more than happy to see it.

1) EADS chief as said he can help bridge gap between civil aviation and Military aviation if EF is choosen(which means he is confident to do that).. does we got the same from Rafael.... is this an offer which i am not aware for Dassault(I am sure France will never do this)?

As far i know Airbus is part of EADS(Majorly) and not Dassault.. am i wrong? .. and France do hold there holdings but i guess other 4 countries will also have a major say

Do enlighten me ... where ever i am wrong

Last edited:
I have not the time today to answer in detail, so the important points only.

As for the planes IAF will be able to operate any plane and customize it latter if they feel it is missing something...

No, the US for example don't allow customising with other techs and I doubt they will allow Indian weapons on their fighters. So far only, Russians, French and the Swedes at least for weapons seems to offer this advantages.

1)UAE was brought it discussion saying it is not interested in Rafael in current form thats all and France was not able to convert the deal...

Wrong, they are interested and are even in final talks about the costs, the plans about what upgrades are involved are done. Think about it logically and ask yourself what the SH would offer to UAE, that the F16 Block 60 doesn't already have?

IF AESA is that big concern we can bid good bye to all except Fteens... even Rafael will be no where near to them... As far as i know EF will have to provide AESA to IAF if chosen .. that is there in MMRCA Request... so EADS will have no option but to provide by begging or borrowing it from some one...

It's not the AESA in general, it is about not beeing able to deliver it in time and you can't borrow such a radar form anywhere and simply add it to the fighter. It was reported that they want to offer the first squad without AESA and the licence produced with AESA, which is once not confirm to the MMRCA requirements and secondly is a high risk for IAF! If the AESA development is delayed, the licence production would be delayed too and by the fact that they still not fully funded the development and just started it new, delayes are very likely.

As far i know Airbus is part of EADS(Majorly) and not Dassault.. am i wrong? .. and France do hold there holdings but i guess other 4 countries will also have a major say

Now I see where the problem is!

You confuse EADS as the company that produces the Eurofighter, but that is not correct, or only partly. The EF GmbH developed and produces the EF and is a consortium mainly of 3 different companies. BAE systems (UK), Alenia Aeronautica (ITA) and the German part of EADS (GER). EADS is just one part of the EF developers, so all they can offer in regard of the EF (ToT for example) must be cleared with the other companies and countries.
If they want to offer any advantages in regard of EADS itself (like you said help in civil aviation), they have to clear it with France, because France is the main and equal partner of Germany in EADS.
So if something like that would be offered, it will be a seperate offer of both countries. Btw, EADS France had some parts in the Rafale development too and holds even a big share of Dassault Aviation. EADS is also providing parts of the AESA radar (T/R modules if I'm not wrong), so don't confuse it with the EF only!

Now I see where the problem is!

You confuse EADS as the company that produces the Eurofighter, but that is not correct, or only partly. The EF GmbH developed and produces the EF and is a consortium mainly of 3 different companies. BAE systems (UK), Alenia Aeronautica (ITA) and the German part of EADS (GER). EADS is just one part of the EF developers, so all they can offer in regard of the EF (ToT for example) must be cleared with the other companies and countries.
If they want to offer any advantages in regard of EADS itself (like you said help in civil aviation), they have to clear it with France, because France is the main and equal partner of Germany in EADS.
So if something like that would be offered, it will be a seperate offer of both countries. Btw, EADS France had some parts in the Rafale development too and holds even a big share of Dassault Aviation. EADS is also providing parts of the AESA radar (T/R modules if I'm not wrong), so don't confuse it with the EF only!

I am sorry.. i also dont want to drag anything further.. You have your own reservations and i have mine on what is good for our country :cheers:... secondly your hold on France part of EADS is correct i am not denying that... lets c what is there in the pot.. if EF does win lets c what France has got its take...

Wanted to add one thing.. France looks good but they are cunning... only trusted partner for India is Russia

Last edited:
I can tell you the result-Typhoon is the winner!

F-18SH, fact to the matter remains this platform has lowest Ground and Air attack capabilities.

F-18SH is way too old A/C

Fighting at heigh altitudes is not its forte and et al......!

It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and resolve all doubt. ~Abraham Lincoln ;) (not meant for you DBC)

this one is for you..:smitten:

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. ~Author unknown

and I leave with this one for me:

Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. ~Josh Billings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom