What's new

Dassault - Rafale on the starting blocks in Malaysia

Might use it to cut production cost for dassault overall - must be an inducement from dassault to select rafale and make the deal sweeter.

No doubt it is a sweetener from Dassualt for the Malaysians but it is the most ridiculous request I have heard of in a while, basically they (Malaysians) will end up with 2-3 years worth of work! I wonder if this is even economically viable- setting up a production line, training all the staff, importing all the requisite materials/equipment and then shutting it all down after 36 months (max).

Maybe they are counting on follow-on orders?

If India approves Rafale, then maybe Malaysia can get it's samples built from India. Because setting up a production line for just 18 aircraft would be sheer wastage. But that is if India signs the deal now and gets the production line rolling before 2015.

I was thinking the same. As it stands the Malysian deal for Rafales would probably feature all going to India for all MRO work and spares.

+ 2015? Nah- the Malaysians aren't going to sign this deal in the next few months/years and they won't be able to take deliveries before 4-5 years- if not more.

No doubt it is a sweetener from Dassualt for the Malaysians but it is the most ridiculous request I have heard of in a while, basically they (Malaysians) will end up with 2-3 years worth of work! I wonder if this is even economically viable- setting up a production line, training all the staff, importing all the requisite materials/equipment and then shutting it all down after 36 months (max).

Maybe they are counting on follow-on orders?

I was thinking the same. As it stands the Malysian deal for Rafales would probably feature all going to India for all MRO work and spares.

+ 2015? Nah- the Malaysians aren't going to sign this deal in the next few months/years and they won't be able to take deliveries before 4-5 years- if not more.

Even if the Indian deal goes through and say Malaysia signs the deal for Rafale as well, Dassault will need to decide who to deliver first as India will get the first 18 from Dassault and Dassault has yet to complete the domestic French order.

Even if the Indian deal goes through and say Malaysia signs the deal for Rafale as well, Dassault will need to decide who to deliver first as India will get the first 18 from Dassault and Dassault has yet to complete the domestic French order.

AFAIK Dassualt are currently producing Rafales at under capacity so when Indian orders come through they will simply ramp-up production and produce Indian and French orders simultaneously. Under the contract India and Dassualt will sign this year, Dassualt must deliver the first Rafale to India within 36 months and I'm pretty certain they will deliver much faster than that.

Dassualt won't have to choose between Indian or French orders.

Wrt Malaysian orders, if a choice needs to be made between fulfilling Indian, French and Malaysian orders then obviously they will stick to a "first come, first serve" philosophy. Possibly Dassualt will sacrifce some French orders temporarily to fulfill Malaysian orders as a "sweetener" for Malaysia.

Boeing Wins big time, Boeing can deliver it in time much earlier and faster then Dassault. it is France that is offering such a deal I don't think it is a good one and might cost extra for installation /manufacturing and the dodgy french would ask money they are playing cards here again.

F-18Ds are being operated by Malaysian Air Force with SU-30s in service and Mig-29 sooner to be deactivated or returned to russia, F-18 super hornet has every thing Malaysian Air Force needs.

18 Units is not big, with 4-5 Growler configuration along with 12-14 E/F would be a much sensable choice/decision.

Canada's search for an alternative to F-35 was shocking for me. Can they really afford to move out of the US clout?

It's not about moving out of the US clout, it's about not wasting taxpayer money on a defensive potato. Canada has no need for the F-35, we're perfectly happy with our hornets, and would rather go for the super hornets. Especially since the F-35 still has trouble in cold climates and the hornet has proven it's worth in the RCAF.

Having said that, unfortunately, the F-35 is still being considered and will most likely win the competition.

f-35 is overpriced. canada wants cheaper one with same capability of f-35.

It's not the price, Canada can afford the F-35, the problem is that the price that was originally being given was completely a lie. That's what shocked Canadians the most, and that is the only reason why Canada decided to find an alternative to the F-35.

But, Like I said, Canada is still probably going to buy this damn potato.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom