What's new

Dassault offers Rafale, stage set for MMRCA 2.0

They shouldn't waste money on anymore 4th gen fighters.Next fighter should be stealth. China will play a major role in the next India Pakistan conflict and j20 fighters if acquired by Pakistan will be a force multiplier. China could also contrive a situation to enter the conflict on pakistans's side.
I was reading about a combined Franco German fighter jets program. Why not wait for this ?

I am confused. What's the difference between the previous rafale and present rafale offers ?
What's this whole tender about ? Why not just buy more rafales and keep the different types of fighters down ?

There is no significant difference.
India cannot afford the Rafale, but Modi has to open up the single engine competition
to the twin engine offers to avoid criticism by the opposition.

The fact that there is a tender points to Rafale not beeing chosen.
Typhoon is more expensive than Rafale - goner...
IAF has bad experience with Russian logistics - forget MiG-35.
F-16V against Pak F-16???

F/A-18 is carrier capable and has US backing,
but again costly compare to Gripen E.

They shouldn't waste money on anymore 4th gen fighters.Next fighter should be stealth. China will play a major role in the next India Pakistan conflict and j20 fighters if acquired by Pakistan will be a force multiplier. China could also contrive a situation to enter the conflict on pakistans's side.
I was reading about a combined Franco German fighter jets program. Why not wait for this ?
wait 20-30 years?

It's the same fighter jet but this time, there maybe a possibility for local production and ToT if the numbers are higher.

Also, going for Rafale would be the best option for both IAF & IN to maintain commonality and uniformity among our fleets and to reduce logistical and maintenance nightmare.

Once this tender is done, we should impose a self arms-embargo on procuring fighter jets from foreign countries and should focus on indigenization, particularly on LCA-Mk2 & AMCA

Rafale M does not fit the Indian carriers.
You have to redesign them with larger elevator if they are to fit.
The proposed ”fix” to have removable wingtips which will delay turnaround time since once the Rafale is on the lightdeck it is supposedly going to take 15 minutes to refit the wingtips.

Rafale M does not fit the Indian carriers.
You have to redesign them with larger elevator if they are to fit.
The proposed ”fix” to have removable wingtips which will delay turnaround time since once the Rafale is on the lightdeck it is supposedly going to take 15 minutes to refit the wingtips.
We just don't know that yet. Our carriers have Mig-29s deployed on them and their wing span is 36.6'' while Rafale's is 35" which is still smaller than the Mig's

We just don't know that yet. Our carriers have Mig-29s deployed on them and their wing span is 36.6'' while Rafale's is 35" which is still smaller than the Mig's

The MiG-29 can fold their wingtips, but that is not possible with the Rafale.
The new carrier was designed with MiG-29 and Naval LCA in mind,
but the MiG-29 needs to be repaired after every landing, and IN has rejected the Naval LCA for now. It needs to be redesigned with a more powerful engine

The MiG-29 can fold their wingtips, but that is not possible with the Rafale.
The new carrier was designed with MiG-29 and Naval LCA in mind,
but the MiG-29 needs to be repaired after every landing, and IN has rejected the Naval LCA for now. It needs to be redesigned with a more powerful engine
I'm not talking about INS Vikrant because it is most likely to field Migs or N-LCA. The INS Vishal which has recently completed the design phase could field the Rafales as it is a 65k ton carrier

I'm not talking about INS Vikrant because it is most likely to field Migs or N-LCA. The INS Vishal which has recently completed the design phase could field the Rafales as it is a 65k ton carrier
The INS Vinshal is planned for 2030. A long time after MMRCA 2.0.

IN needs aircraft for INS Vikrant at the moment, and N-LCA is rejected,
and MiG-29 is not really fulfilling any promises.
Rafale has significant drawbacks. The F/A-18E fits physically, but does not provide the desired margins.

Last edited:
The INS Vinshal is planned for 2030. A long time after MMRCA 2.0.

IN needs aircraft for INS Vikrant at the moment, and N-LCA is rejected,
and MiG-29 is not really fulfilling any promises.
Rafale has significant drawbacks. The F/A-18E fits physically, but does not provide the desired margins.
I don't think we would go for any major US weapons systems after how we've seen US imposing sanctions/tariffs and threatening countries

I don't think we would go for any major US weapons systems after how we've seen US imposing sanctions/tariffs and threatening countries

You are already using the GE F404 and plan to use the GE F414 for LCA/AMCA,
which leaves you somewhat dependent.
Trying to avoid US technology altogether will probably leave you with MiG-35
and the problems related to Russian logistics.

You are already using the GE F404 and plan to use the GE F414 for LCA/AMCA,
which leaves you somewhat dependent.
Trying to avoid US technology altogether will probably leave you with MiG-35
and the problems related to Russian logistics.
Major in the sense a whole platform altogether.

Safran has recently concluded that our engine is good enough to go for test trails in its current form without actually using M88's core. I'm sure the moment Kaveri is up and running, we would stop importing F-404/414 altogether and develop variants of Kaveri as per our needs to integrate it onto LCA-Mk2/AMCA

Major in the sense a whole platform altogether.

Safran has recently concluded that our engine is good enough to go for test trails in its current form without actually using M88's core. I'm sure the moment Kaveri is up and running, we would stop importing F-404/414 altogether and develop variants of Kaveri as per our needs to integrate it onto LCA-Mk2/AMCA

The GE F414 provides 15% more trust than the M88.
Will a redesigned Kaveri reach that?
Just reaching F404 levels will not impress anyone.

The drama begins.. ..
I am least interested.
Jab le lo bata dena bhai!

Back
Top Bottom