By

Thomas Black
October 10, 2017, 12:29 PM GMT+5:30
    • Move will provide Dassault a competitive edge, CEO says
    • Indian deal for Rafale fighter jets was trimmed in 2016
1000x-1.jpg

A Dassault Aviation SA Falcon 8X business jet
Jasper Juinen/Bloomberg

Dassault Aviation SA, the French maker of Rafale fighter jets, may build its business aircraft in India, in a boost to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s push to encourage local manufacturing.

Building the Falcon 2000 planes in India would cut costs while ensuring quality and execution that meets standards, Chief Executive Officer Eric Trappier said in an interview on the sidelines of the National Business Aviation Association’s annual conference in Las Vegas. The move will also give the company a competitive edge, he said, without elaborating.

400x-1.jpg

Eric Trappier
Photographer: Marlene Awaad/Bloomberg

“We really want to do something which is a real industrial cooperation in India,” Trappier said. “We are starting a big partnership.”

The Paris-based company wants to deepen its ties with the South Asian country after it bid for a defense contract worth $11 billion to supply 126 Rafale aircraft and eventually won an order for only 36 planes last year. India had initially agreed to buy all the 126 jets under a long-delayed deal, even mandating Dassault to build some of them locally.

Should Dassault start manufacturing the Falcon 2000 locally, it would provide a fillip to Modi’s flagship “Make in India” program that aims to lure foreign companies and create Indian jobs, one of his key campaign platforms. Lagging behind China in manufacturing for decades, the $2.3 trillion economy is trying to narrow the gap with its giant neighbor, which successfully tested its first home-made commercial passenger jet this year.

After Modi decided to opt for fewer Rafale jets from Dassault in 2016 -- all of them imports -- the main opposition Congress party criticized his move saying his call for “Make in India” sounded hollow.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...iness-jet-manufacturing-in-india-on-modi-push

Global orders for long range heavy corporate jets is actually not that good. Even if her were to have a production facility, what will be its utilisation? What would these jets be used in? India and China combined do not have that level of demand to actually justify another facility.

Global orders for long range heavy corporate jets is actually not that good. Even if her were to have a production facility, what will be its utilisation? What would these jets be used in? India and China combined do not have that level of demand to actually justify another facility.
Its just a cat and mouse game i guess, india bright f16 & gripen for bargaining price reduction in rafale,while they brought this offer for us to stick on rafale.

Its just a cat and mouse game i guess, india bright f16 & gripen for bargaining price reduction in rafale,while they brought this offer for us to stick on rafale.

Let's see the reality here:

1- Surrounded by some very powerful and hostile neighbouring countries. No improvement in ties and only worsening.

2- Limited indigenous capability to make advanced weapons platforms from scratch. 40% does not include the raw materials which are mostly imported from Russia which includes special grades of steel which India cannot produce even today.

3- A lax public sector defence establishment. 'sarkari garantee' of job means that no one needs to worry as long as there are no criminal allegations. Forget taking decisions, I can go on a leave as long as my senior is happy and not even the HR's baap can take action against these freeloaders.

4- Losing an average of 10 jets a year in air force, a bit lesser for helicopters in Army and not to mention the crashes that take place.

5- Underequipped and under-armed ground forces.

If it was any other country in our positions, they would shut down the entire nation and put every single available resource on building defence capabilities within the country. And I mean serious R&D funding.

We need to delineate the process of buying weapons and defence equipment from regular civilian government tendering methods.

Unless we scrap the tendering of defence equipment or cap testing and finalisation to 6 months, we will remain vulnerable.

I mean if it takes a couple of years for a set of pipes to come to a municipal office it is okay; if it takes 12 years for a fighter jet to come or 20 years for a trainer jet to come, then we have a serious problem.

Let's see the reality here:

1- Surrounded by some very powerful and hostile neighbouring countries. No improvement in ties and only worsening.

2- Limited indigenous capability to make advanced weapons platforms from scratch. 40% does not include the raw materials which are mostly imported from Russia which includes special grades of steel which India cannot produce even today.

3- A lax public sector defence establishment. 'sarkari garantee' of job means that no one needs to worry as long as there are no criminal allegations. Forget taking decisions, I can go on a leave as long as my senior is happy and not even the HR's baap can take action against these freeloaders.

4- Losing an average of 10 jets a year in air force, a bit lesser for helicopters in Army and not to mention the crashes that take place.

5- Underequipped and under-armed ground forces.

If it was any other country in our positions, they would shut down the entire nation and put every single available resource on building defence capabilities within the country. And I mean serious R&D funding.

We need to delineate the process of buying weapons and defence equipment from regular civilian government tendering methods.

Unless we scrap the tendering of defence equipment or cap testing and finalisation to 6 months, we will remain vulnerable.

I mean if it takes a couple of years for a set of pipes to come to a municipal office it is okay; if it takes 12 years for a fighter jet to come or 20 years for a trainer jet to come, then we have a serious problem.

lot of things are broken ... you have to start with simpler things

Back
Top Bottom