What's new

Danish Kaneria arrested in spot-fixing investigation

notting hill

Reaction score
Essex pair Danish Kaneria and Mervyn Westfield arrested in spot-fixing investigation

Both men appeared at Brentwood police station on Friday and were questioned under caution before being released on bail until Sept 15, pending further inquiries.

As neither has yet been charged with any offence, both are free to continue playing cricket until then, by which time Pakistan will have completed their Test series against England. That should allow Pakistan's selectors to at least pick Kaneria, with only a modicum of controversy hanging over him.

Nottinghamshire's Mick Newell admits Durham have title in their graspThat series needs Kaneria, though the England and Wales Cricket Board, as full signatories to the International Cricket Council's anti-corruption code, will be torn over his presence.

Now that Shane Warne is retired, he is the world's pre-eminent wrist-spinner, and unless Pakistan's selectors decide not to select him while the investigation is ongoing, he is crucial to their competitiveness in that series.

Essex police had wanted to interview Kaneria, 29, who has 58 Test caps for Pakistan, last Monday, three days after his return to England, but that was during Essex's County Championship match with Kent and the club asked if that could be deferred until yesterday. Every other Essex player, as well as the support staff, have been helping police with their inquiries.

Kaneria's performance in the match against Durham is not under scrutiny, but he is thought to have introduced Westfield, whose performance against Durham is under the microscope, to an illegal bookmaker.

Westfield, 22, has been interviewed before by police, who confiscated his mobile phone. He conceded 60 runs in seven overs in the 40-over match against Durham, with four wides and two no-balls.

While bad bowling is not proof of guilt, spot-fixing, whereby a small event in the game is fixed, such as a wide or a dropped catch, is thought to be the vehicle favoured by India's illegal bookmakers to manipulate bets, in which millions of pounds are staked on the smallest shifts within a match, to their advantage.

That way they can also involve vulnerable individuals on the margin of the team rather than the key players (needed if a result is to be fixed) - which makes it both less detectable and more cost effective.

Essex police confirmed that their investigation, which began in March this year, followed allegations received. As these allegations are thought to have come from other players, it has made for an uncomfortable dressing room this season.

The employment situation from the club's point of view is equally tricky unless guilt is proven. Yet, with both Kaneria and Westfield's contracts up for renewal at the end of this season, it may not be long before we see how their club has judged them.

Essex pair Danish Kaneria and Mervyn Westfield arrested in spot-fixing investigation - Telegraph

no, it has happened in other sports too... few years back there was a major scandal in the world of US baseball where many stars were found to be involved in such activities... more recenty if you follow soccer, Italian side Juventus was relegated to second division.AC milan and Fiorentina were deducted some points and they too almost got relegated to the second division. They were found to have bribed the referees. Ac milan was infact stripped of their SERIA A cup the same year .

the only difference is that other games have moved on and have a regulatory authority to monitor such activities .. cricket being a second rung sport in UK still hasn't got the media attention for the authorities to sit up and take notice

Make Marry Indians !!!!!!

Another Pakistani is under trail - for Indians he is guilty even before any conviction by any court coz he is Pakistani ........................ :)

Tell them he is a Hindu Pakistani and not Muslim Pakistani, they will clear him soon and not charge him with any terrorism related activities.

Tell them he is a Hindu Pakistani and not Muslim Pakistani, they will clear him soon and not charge him with any terrorism related activities.

Exactly. He has a narrow escape their. :)

just goes to show how a nation riddled with so many problems influences the mind of a human citizen whether HINDU , MUSLIM or any other religion.. whereever he would go in the world he would be a pakistani and FYI the cops wont ask which religion he belongs to .No one questioned the fact( that he is a hindu ) when he ws selected to represent pakistan

TERRORISM .. lol.. wt does cricket match fixing anything to do with terrorism.. though both are criminal offences.. may god have mercy on you and your thoughts ..

Make Marry Indians !!!!!!

Another Pakistani is under trail - for Indians he is guilty even before any conviction by any court coz he is Pakistani ........................ :)

Think y you are always in this position. this time it is not even a RAW/CIA/MOSSAD conspiracy.. seems to me that MI5 is somewhat involved .. :argh: .. latest frm the wires.. kaneria tried to influence mre players in the essex squad and now the whole team is under scanner..:tdown:

just goes to show how a nation riddled with so many problems influences the mind of a human citizen whether HINDU , MUSLIM or any other religion.. whereever he would go in the world he would be a pakistani and FYI the cops wont ask which religion he belongs to .No one questioned the fact( that he is a hindu ) when he ws selected to represent pakistan

TERRORISM .. lol.. wt does cricket match fixing anything to do with terrorism.. though both are criminal offences.. may god have mercy on you and your thoughts ..

Indian, I am making a joke but you have to bring in your stupid unrequited social commentary on a non event.

May Bhagwan put some sense of humour in your bitter serious soul.

Have some shame and stop taking everything seriously, you guys are way too serious.

Best if you get out of these forums, people who hail from countries also riddled with problems and overlook them show that there is no point in discussing anything with them.

Indian, I am making a joke but you have to bring in your stupid unrequited social commentary on a non event.

May Bhagwan put some sense of humour in your bitter serious soul.

Have some shame and stop taking everything seriously, you guys are way too serious.

Best if you get out of these forums, people who hail from countries also riddled with problems and overlook them show that there is no point in discussing anything with them.

guess what ,your joke lacked any sense or humor .. bringing religion into everything is not right.. anyways i hope he is cleared of all charges and represent pakistan again..

and i wont leave this forum 'coz you have asked me to as there are many people i am friendly with here and the quality of discussion is above par than most of the other web forums... next time do write a footnote that IT WAS A JOKE.. not many people have the same level of sense of humor as your have mate ..

Peoples have been charged for match fixing before also but almost everytime nothing is proven. So for me

Innocent unti proven guilty

This is all i want to say..................

Think y you are always in this position. this time it is not even a RAW/CIA/MOSSAD conspiracy.. seems to me that MI5 is somewhat involved .. :argh: .. latest frm the wires.. kaneria tried to influence mre players in the essex squad and now the whole team is under scanner..:tdown:

Think y you are always in this position.!!!!!!!

money.jpg

canu send me some of these bundles ? :partay:

Tell me !!! :cool:

Do i send my address to ur inbox ?
:rofl:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom