What's new

Cybersecurity firm claims to have found evidence of a Cyber attack against Pakistan

oh good that it was in 2017, or else some people would have blamed that on Imran Khan as well.

And what makes you think it actually was?
Any one from any country can simply just pop up and tell another, oh hey you were hacked and your assets are no linger secure.
Like wtf?
Might just be another attempt at propaganda for some new narrative that is about to be manufactured against Pakistani nukes.

And what makes you think it actually was?
Any one from any country can simply just pop up and tell another, oh hey you were hacked and your assets are no linger secure.
Like wtf?
Might just be another attempt at propaganda for some new narrative that is about to be manufactured against Pakistani nukes.

I m just going by whats written.

Thread title,

How did they "Hack" PAF ?
In my opinion, it was just used to make a bold title by the news agency. But, this shows that we are under series cyber threat and can be damaged by the offensive.

Vulnerabilities are there and it has been reported again and again. The Cyberthreat monitoring firms constantly mentioning Pakistan under APT attacks. Just last week, multiple banks security was compromised. We can not simply label it as propaganda.

Serious attention is needed.

The article specifically says it wasn't Israel or Iran. Didn't know Pakistan had other enemies in the Middle East.

Pakistan has enemies based on sectarian ideologies. Remember the shoot-and-scoot tactics adopted by sectarian groups within Pakistan and even across the Iranian border. Countries such as Yemen are home to some really nefarious elements. I am not counting the under-equipped Houthis, but there could be radical elements keen on damaging Pakistani internal security just to create a sectarian rife.

Israel at this point of time, doesn't need to conduct a major cyber attack that too on Pakistan, which has remained out of its focus for quite some time since the end of Cold War.

Again you guys are not thinking straight. This so called firm Cylance , is a US firm. What this so called firm is doing or has done is that it has tried to cyber attacked Pak military. It appears that this attack has mostly failed. When I say "mostly" it means the attack still caused "inconvenience". And this firm wants to know which part of its attack caused this "inconvenience" so that it can fine tune the cyber attack software so that next time when it attacks, the attack is much more successful. So what this firm is now doing is spreading this fake news to get a REACTION from anyone in Pakistan specially any military linked institutes.

So you guys needs to analyse this properly and think it through as the reality is much different to what you think it is.

How bout typing in Talpiot program on youtube. How Israel has had great technology transfer from usa hard work. Intel inside processors aree made over there as well.

This incident only goes to show the serious ways Pakistan is generations behind in this technology, even compared to countries like Iran. This is a field that Pakistan never pays attention to both in terms of military and civilian. I am actually surprised that it took this long to hack into Pakistani institutions.perhaps a potential article topic for @Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Big bets on israel being the culprit

most probably Iran

This incident only goes to show the serious ways Pakistan is generations behind in this technology, even compared to countries like Iran. This is a field that Pakistan never pays attention to both in terms of military and civilian. I am actually surprised that it took this long to hack into Pakistani institutions.perhaps a potential article topic for @Bilal Khan (Quwa)

what incident are you taking about

Again you guys are not thinking straight. This so called firm Cylance , is a US firm. What this so called firm is doing or has done is that it has tried to cyber attacked Pak military. It appears that this attack has mostly failed. When I say "mostly" it means the attack still caused "inconvenience". And this firm wants to know which part of its attack caused this "inconvenience" so that it can fine tune the cyber attack software so that next time when it attacks, the attack is much more successful. So what this firm is now doing is spreading this fake news to get a REACTION from anyone in Pakistan specially any military linked institutes.

So you guys needs to analyse this properly and think it through as the reality is much different to what you think it is.

My old man is actually a cyber security expert. In the old days, the idea (to stop any kind of espionage) was to avoid doing anything stupid, e.g., when on assignment overseas, don't engage with the locals (esp. women); don't open suspicious looking packages (esp. when you're not expecting them), etc.

Yes, we need to improve our cyber security tech, but if you carefully read the OP article as well as look into the vast majority of cyber attacks, they all start with a stupid action. In this case, it's people opening emails with promising looking intelligence reports (stupid: who the heck will send YOU an intel report via email!?!?)

We can fix 75% of the gap in 25% of the time via basic cyber security training and education for all personnel, setting processes re: emails, and -- above all -- restricting personnel usage of smartphones, WhatsApp, FB, Twitter, etc.

I'd say if there's a start to investing in tech, it's banning personal devices from any armed forces installation, including the canteen, masjid and mess, and issuing special devices with hardware encryption and thorough MDM banning Google Play/App Store and sideload installs. It goes without saying we shouldn't get our devices from the US or Europe, but directly from China, but in pieces, and then re-assembled in Pakistan.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom