What's new

CWG 2010: Haroon Khan tipped to eclipse older brother Amir

Frankenstein

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The father of Haroon Khan believes he could be an even better boxer than his older son, Amir, after the 19 year-old marked his Commonwealth Games debut for Pakistan with an impressive stoppage of Tanzanian Sunday Elias.

haroon-khan_1732667c.jpg

Khan the younger failed to make it into the England squad but, having switched allegiance to the country of his parents' birth, looked a man on a mission as he raced into a 12-1 lead in his preliminary-round flyweight bout before catching his opponent flush on the jaw with a thumping right to end the contest 12 seconds into the third round.
Watching approvingly from ringside was father Shah, who believes the Commonwealth Games could be the making of Haroon by handing him the perfect incentive to prove the Amateur Boxing Association wrong.

"In my mind, Haroon could be better than Amir," said Kahn senior. "I'm not just saying that. If Haroon gives it 100 per cent in training he could be better than Amir.
"I think he's got a lot of things to prove to himself and he also wants to prove people wrong. That's going to make a lot of difference to him now. He really needs to prove to people, and especially the England camp, that 'I should have been there'."
The teenager bears a remarkable resemblance to Amir, the WBA light welterweight champion – not just physically but with his quick hands and high-energy style.
Mick Jelley, who guided Amir to an Olympic silver medal in 2004 and now coaches Haroon, said the teenager had all the necessary skills but needed to match his brother's dedication.
"Amir pushed himself when he started and now he's world champion he's still pushing himself," said Jelley. "It's all about commitment. How much Haroon wants to commit himself, we'll have to wait and see."
English light welterweight Bradley Saunders hit the ground running with a first-round stoppage of Grenada's Dominic Boatswain, while team-mate Anthony Agogo needed just two rounds of his middleweight contest to beat Kiribati's Andrew Kometa.

All the best to Haroon for rest of the matches. If any India Pak match pls notify us.

^^ Vijender is in the 75 KG class and Haroon in the 52 KG class. So they won't be meeting :)

^^
Humm yup they both are competing for different classes but I really wish that he could thrash all his opponents in his class.
:victory:

The team includes Mohammad Waseem (49kg), Haroon Shahid (52kg), Qadir Khan (56kg), Adnan Hussain (60kg), Nisar Khan (75kg) and Mir Waiz Khan (91+kg).Two boxers in the reserve list are Naimat Ullah (56kg) and Arshad Hussain (60kg).

I can't understand why Pakistanis are happy with haroon??

He is born and brought up in Britain and when he have not got any chance in Britain he joins ur team.

The facts is he is not a Pakistani he is a British.

Also, he was not happy with representing Pakistan and was saying that he will feel awkward to fight its fellow British brothers.
:devil::devil:

haroon khan can meet india's suranjoy singh in 52 kg category. suranjoy is also a very promising boxer . he's an asian gold medalist in his category :cheers:

it will be interesting to see that match

I can't understand why Pakistanis are happy with haroon??

He is born and brought up in Britain and when he have not got any chance in Britain he joins ur team.

The facts is he is not a Pakistani he is a British.

Also, he was not happy with representing Pakistan and was saying that he will feel awkward to fight its fellow British brothers.
:devil::devil:

Cuz I am a Canadian Pakistani and I will be more then Proud to represent the Country I belong to, :pakistan:now stfu!

Amir Khan happens to be my cousins hommie who is a lawyer in UK, I wud love to see his brother fighting :agree:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom