What's new

CWC 2011: Quarter Finals likely scenario

Hyde

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
2hrl452.jpg

created a separate thread as we might like to discuss about the likely scenario in this thread

interesting situation for india..
will dhoni let windies defeat India or will india win and go on to play australia?
its gonna be fun to watch this worldcup :D

i really wanted to see ind vs pak at least in quarter final.

will after defeat against WI tomorrow

will india will be in QF or out of WC?

If these nations plays semi finals against each other then it will look like this (Pakistan will have to face Australia in the semi finals once again or India if they can beat Australia)

2z7pkbc.jpg

So if Pakistan and India win their respective QFs, they will meet in semis? Will be one of a kind match!

Considering that the match is at Motera, a track known to turn square, India won't mind playing Australia in the Quarters.

I want India to beat West Indies tommorrow because then

Pak vs WI - I think it will be a easier oppenant than England

India vs Aus - I want India to thrash the livin sh*t out of the Aussies, i have heard the racist stuff the Aussies do to Indians and when a 3 years old girl was killed. Plus Aussies are jealous players, they swear and show no sportsmanship, did you see the match between SL and Aussie wat the Aussie bowler was saying.

This will be the 1st time in history i will support India in a match.

I want these teams to win in order:

1: Pakistan (you all knw way)
2: Sri Lanka (They Respect every Asian country and i respect them)
3: West Indies (Cos they are Windies)
4: England (They deserve it if they win)

The quarter-final scenarios

A look at the various permutations for the quarter-finals after Pakistan's win against Australia

With Pakistan's win in the last match of Group A, the standings in that group are clear: Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Australia and New Zealand, in that order. Only one meaningful match remains in Group B, between India and West Indies in Chennai. Here's a look at the quarter-final line-ups depending on who wins that game.

Scenario 1: If India beat West Indies
India will take second place, behind South Africa, on nine points, while England will be third and West Indies fourth. West Indies will finish with the same points as Bangladesh, but they are so far ahead on net run-rate that Bangladesh cannot catch up even if West Indies lose by a huge margin. The quarter-finals:

Pakistan v West Indies - Mirpur
Australia v India - Ahmedabad (March 24)
New Zealand v South Africa - Mirpur
Sri Lanka v England - Colombo (March 26)

Scenario 2: If West Indies beat India
In this case West Indies will jump to second place, behind South Africa, pushing India and England to third and fourth place. India will retain third place unless they lose very badly (for example, if they get bowled out for 139 or fewer chasing 300). The quarter-finals:

New Zealand v South Africa
Sri Lanka v India - Ahmedabad (March 24)
Australia v West Indies
Pakistan v England

Scenario 3: if the points are shared

If both teams get a point each, India will take second spot with eight points, behind South Africa's ten. West Indies and England will be on seven points each, but West Indies have the better run-rate, and it'll stay that way if the points are shared. The quarter-finals:

Pakistan v England - Mirpur
Australia v India - Ahmedabad (March 24)
New Zealand v South Africa - Mirpur
Sri Lanka v West Indies - Colombo (March 26)

In each case, the winners of the first two quarters listed above will play in one semi-final, while the winners of the last two quarters will play in the other, with India playing in Mohali if they make it, and Sri Lanka playing in Colombo.

Back
Top Bottom