What's new

Crisis deepens as India blocks Chenab flow

No religious angle here. you (india) build a Dam that preven natural flow of water. That was my point. It's evan shock to me that we are asking for water that ritefully ours yet India as alway ignored it. In which angle we are wrong here???

That's right.If the river they built the dam on flew through India only,then nobody would even care.
But since it flows through Bangladesh also,so we have equal rights on the water.Why our farmers won't get water when needed??

Same goes for Pakistan's case.

Does it help with such postings ? If you think Pakistan will join hads BD, I may ask you; why did you guys separate in 1971 ? Don't pass verdicts without going into the depths of matter. India, Bangladesh and Pakistan are result of a division and there are bound to be disputes. There are sensible ways to address disputes. In case of Pakistan, the case went to World bank. Neutral observer came and gave his verdict. Both parties abided by the decision. If BD thinks that India is not acting as per treaty, she can always take India to International courts. Has India ever refused that BD can not inspect the dam and see if we are violating the terms of treaty? What do you think one can achieve with fights? Let us come out of this childish mindset.

RK

You Indians crossed into international border and was the cause of separation of West and East Pakistan...but that was almost 38 years ago so Pakistan has moved on since then. Pakistanis support Bangladesh and both countries are friends. India, however, has problems with ALL of its neighbors.

That's right.If the river they built the dam on flew through India only,then nobody would even care.
But since it flows through Bangladesh also,so we have equal rights on the water.Why our farmers won't get water when needed?? Same goes for Pakistan's case.

I am not argueing with you..but lets put another side of it now.

River flows in both the countries...its is made by allah, bhagavan or what ever is upto ur faith. its ur personal feeling. now man has made countries. How come resource of one country belongs to another country for ur sake? We have water..why not use for our won use what ever we want to...why we should share? Why should I care for you? I have to takecare of myself first? I am not doing this bcoz to trouble otherside. May be I want for my good and why should I care for otherside...????

I am not against pakistan or bangladesh or anything on religion or country..just flipping the coin to debate :cheers:

Millions exposed to ecological disaster in Bangladesh

Millions of people of Bangladesh have been exposed to ecological disaster.
Sources said, about fifty million people in the south-western and northern region of the country are facing serious environmental hazards due to the unilateral withdrawal of water of the Ganges by India illegally at Farakka barrage point. Official sources said that the Farakka is not only creating environmental and ecological problems but also posing a serious threat to our agriculture, irrigation, navigation, fisheries, forest and livestock.
A silent ecological devastation as well as clear inexorable process of desertification has already been started in the northern part, while southern region is getting more and more salinated caused by the Farakka. As a result, Bangladesh is incurring losses during the last 21 years.
Productions of fish and agricultural crops and vegetables have been drastically hampered during the last few years due to terrible setback in irrigation network.
The groundwater level is getting lower and lower, and all the small and big rivers, numbering about 19 in the northern districts, are drying up during the lean period. Existence of small rivers is hardly visible. The once mighty Padma River has lost its navigability in an alarming proportion. Two and a half miles wide the Padma has been reduced to less then half mile, and vast charland has emerged on the river.
During a visit to the area on March 18 to see the water flow at the Harding bridge point at Pakshey in Pabna district, this correspondent saw an alarmingly scenario there. The entire riverbed, both the upstream and the downstream of the Hardinge bridge point, has been covered by miles of charlands, presenting a view of a flaming noonday desert.
While talking to a high official of the Water Development Board (WDB) in Pabna division, he said that the flow of water at the Hardinge bridge point in Bangladesh is now the record lowest in the last two decades. He, however, said that the matter has been reported to the Joint River Commission (JRC) and the concerned ministry.
Sources in the WDB, Pabna said, the water flow in one of the largest irrigation projects of the country, Pabna Irrigation and Rural Development Project (PIRDP), has reached a record low. The entire riverbed of the mighty river Jamuna and Hurasagar has been covered by charlands and cultivable lands.
A recent survey conducted by the Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA) and the Water Development Board (WDB), revealed that about 3,579 kilometres of river routes out of a total about 6,000 kms in Bangladesh have already dried up, hampering river traffic and navigation due to the adverse effects of the Farakka barrage.
As an adverse impact of the prevailing situation, the movement of river vessels, including big cargo boats and oil tankers, has become almost impossible across the rivers. Normal operation of ferries from one place to another is being seriously disrupted.
The businessmen, wholesalers and retailers usually carry goods, including perishable items, from one place to another depending solely on boats as the transportation cost through the rivers is much cheaper. But, it has become almost impossible for them to carry on their business as the river channel has become narrower this time of the year.
Sources in the WDB told this correspondent that more rivers and their tributaries dried up this year.
Such a situation was not witnessed before.

Does it help with such postings ? If you think Pakistan will join hads BD, I may ask you; why did you guys separate in 1971 ? Don't pass verdicts without going into the depths of matter. India, Bangladesh and Pakistan are result of a division and there are bound to be disputes. There are sensible ways to address disputes. In case of Pakistan, the case went to World bank. Neutral observer came and gave his verdict. Both parties abided by the decision. If BD thinks that India is not acting as per treaty, she can always take India to International courts. Has India ever refused that BD can not inspect the dam and see if we are violating the terms of treaty? What do you think one can achieve with fights? Let us come out of this childish mindset.

RK

May be Pakistan will join us or may be not but

first be a grown up and give us our fare share of water when we need it and try not to flood our country during monsoon when ample of water available from rain.

I am not argueing with you..but lets put another side of it now.

River flows in both the countries...its is made by allah, bhagavan or what ever is upto ur faith. its ur personal feeling. now man has made countries. How come resource of one country belongs to another country for ur sake? We have water..why not use for our won use what ever we want to...why we should share? Why should I care for you? I have to takecare of myself first? I am not doing this bcoz to trouble otherside. May be I want for my good and why should I care for otherside...????

I am not against pakistan or bangladesh or anything on religion or country..just flipping the coin to debate :cheers:

So what will you say when your rivers will dry up because of Chinese Dams??not the same thing you told me above I guess.

And we BD people are the losers in this case too.:cry:

So what will you say when your rivers will dry up because of Chinese Dams??not the same thing you told me above I guess.

China is doing that already. Read the news..Only way for India to service long term is join all the rivers to feed basic water ...but that would reduce water to bangladesh as it deviates ganga! Thats the project india wants to do..but this govt is not pushing for it

In that sense we shouldnt always go with some treaty of 1960's...all countries should sit and plan...its not just btw india/BD.....

Millions of people of Bangladesh have been exposed to ecological disaster.
Sources said, about fifty million people in the south-western and northern region of the country are facing serious environmental hazards due to the unilateral withdrawal of water of the Ganges by India illegally at Farakka barrage point. Official sources said that the Farakka is not only creating environmental and ecological problems but also posing a serious threat to our agriculture, irrigation, navigation, fisheries, forest and livestock.
A silent ecological devastation as well as clear inexorable process of desertification has already been started in the northern part, while southern region is getting more and more salinated caused by the Farakka. As a result, Bangladesh is incurring losses during the last 21 years.
Productions of fish and agricultural crops and vegetables have been drastically hampered during the last few years due to terrible setback in irrigation network.
The groundwater level is getting lower and lower, and all the small and big rivers, numbering about 19 in the northern districts, are drying up during the lean period. Existence of small rivers is hardly visible. The once mighty Padma River has lost its navigability in an alarming proportion. Two and a half miles wide the Padma has been reduced to less then half mile, and vast charland has emerged on the river.
During a visit to the area on March 18 to see the water flow at the Harding bridge point at Pakshey in Pabna district, this correspondent saw an alarmingly scenario there. The entire riverbed, both the upstream and the downstream of the Hardinge bridge point, has been covered by miles of charlands, presenting a view of a flaming noonday desert.
While talking to a high official of the Water Development Board (WDB) in Pabna division, he said that the flow of water at the Hardinge bridge point in Bangladesh is now the record lowest in the last two decades. He, however, said that the matter has been reported to the Joint River Commission (JRC) and the concerned ministry.
Sources in the WDB, Pabna said, the water flow in one of the largest irrigation projects of the country, Pabna Irrigation and Rural Development Project (PIRDP), has reached a record low. The entire riverbed of the mighty river Jamuna and Hurasagar has been covered by charlands and cultivable lands.
A recent survey conducted by the Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA) and the Water Development Board (WDB), revealed that about 3,579 kilometres of river routes out of a total about 6,000 kms in Bangladesh have already dried up, hampering river traffic and navigation due to the adverse effects of the Farakka barrage.
As an adverse impact of the prevailing situation, the movement of river vessels, including big cargo boats and oil tankers, has become almost impossible across the rivers. Normal operation of ferries from one place to another is being seriously disrupted.
The businessmen, wholesalers and retailers usually carry goods, including perishable items, from one place to another depending solely on boats as the transportation cost through the rivers is much cheaper. But, it has become almost impossible for them to carry on their business as the river channel has become narrower this time of the year.
Sources in the WDB told this correspondent that more rivers and their tributaries dried up this year.
Such a situation was not witnessed before.

Really shocking and sad that India has done this.
This is terrorism. India, along with its best friend Israel, always talk about battling terrorism but they both are the biggest terrorists in the world.

May be Pakistan will join us or may be not but

first be a grown up and give us our fare share of water when we need it and try not to flood our country during monsoon when ample of water available from rain.

Whole India was flooded with rivers originating in Nepal. Do we blame China for floods by Brahputra and Nepal for many other rivers? Come on... We will let you run the flow of water in all Indian rivers entering BD.. Tell us how you wish to do it.. particulary in moonsoon. Talk some sense..

RK

But since it flows through Bangladesh also,so we have equal rights on the water.Why our farmers won't get water when needed??

Same goes for Pakistan's case.

You don't have equal right, Your right is in proportion to the length of river flowing through your country. Please ask your government for proper data. Issue is very technical. Have all the figures before you start putting blames.

RK

I read an article before by an Indian geologists who termed Farakka barrage an ecological disaster for both India and Bangladesh.In one place in India,two rivers(forgot the names) have come very close to each other because of Farrakka Barrage.
Even Indian experts say it was done by "engineers Cartel".

In case of Pakistan,the dam is in earthquake zone and can also cause disaster,for people of both countries.

We are screwed either way so let chinese build the Dam. Let these ignorant Indian feel how is to get the taste of their own medicine.

You Indians crossed into international border and was the cause of separation of West and East Pakistan...but that was almost 38 years ago so Pakistan has moved on since then. Pakistanis support Bangladesh and both countries are friends. India, however, has problems with ALL of its neighbors.

My friend I have no problem in your supporting BD or for that matter anyone. We also support BD, probably more than you. In ever natural disaster, we are the first to reach there with material support. Where no country was selling rice last year, it was India who supplied rice to BD. let us not argue in thin air.

RK

You don't have equal right, Your right is in proportion to the length of river flowing through your country. Please ask your government for proper data. Issue is very technical. Have all the figures before you start putting blames.

RK

The Chinese will tell you the same thing when you will be on our shoe.

We are screwed either way so let chinese build the Dam. Let these ignorant Indian feel how is to get the taste of their own medicine.

:lol:

It is like "nijer naak kete onner jaatra vongo".

means stopping others from progressing by harming yourself.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom