What's new

Crime due to outsiders; Delhi ‘glitters’, says CM

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Sunday sought to steer away from the claims of a survey which said that women in the city felt unsafe due to infrastructural flaws like dark stretches of streets, narrow roads, and a public transport system with negligible security.

A survey by state Women and Child Welfare found that public transportation and roadsides are to blame for the overwhelming majority of harassment and assault reports filed by women. Women in the survey said that lack of proper law enforcement, poor lighting and overcrowded public transportation are the major loopholes that make them feel insecure when out of the confines of their homes.

But CM Sheila Dikshit quickly came out in defence of the city and negated the findings of the survey, saying it was not the infrastructure but the people who came from outside the city who are the main culprits.

“The main problem is in the mentality of the people. 90-95% of the harassment and assault cases on women take place inside their homes. The same people come out on roads and commit the same crimes. What is needed is a change in the mentality,” said Dikshit.

According to the survey, women said that unlit stretches of roads were one of the major reasons that have made commuting one of the herculean tasks for them.

But denying this squarely, Dikshit said that there was no problem with Delhi’s infrastructure and that “Delhi glitters”.

Delhi has retained its notoriety for being a dangerous city for women with the count of eve-teasing, harassment and rape cases not budging.

Another survey by a UN agency, UNIFEM too added to the city’s infamy when it said that 70% of men find it safer to ignore the crimes against women, unlike Mumbai which is known for huge-heartedness of Mumbaikars with recent examples of Ruben and Keenan who got martyred while resisting the assault against two girls.

In Video
Crime in Delhi due to migrants: CM

Adding to the shame is the fact that last year 66% women had reported the cases of harassment. And this is just the statistics. The real numbers may be even more shocking. The survey also found out that 44% women cannot exercise their will while dressing themselves for Delhi roads. So much of restraint in a city that’s otherwise so hi-tech, points towards the callousness of a government that always comes up with excuses to defend its shooting crime rate.

delhi certainly has a level of insecurity for women. gujarat is safest though in this manner. i could compare the situation with pakistan where women have no rights at all . but this is our own problem , and as the economy of india improves we will have lesser and lesser of such problems. as far as few peoples mindset is concerned it will take time but i am sure we will manage .

Gujarat is a wonder dude. Was in Vallabh Vidyanagar for three years. I have never seen women having this much freedom.
Still the place I like the most.
Gujarat, Respect!:enjoy::enjoy:

That's funny; Delhi is a city because people from all over India come and live there. Name me one person "originally" from Delhi. :lol:. Sheila Dixit is a typical joker from Congress.

Sheila Dikshit is an outsider herself.

In fact, Delhi is the city of outsiders only.

Karol Bagh, Rajendra Nagar, South Delhi, most of these areas were populated by people coming in after the 1947 partition.

Are the Punjabis not outisders in Delhi?

Are the Bengalis not?

Are the Tamils not?

Seriously who in Delhi is not an outsider?

Sheila Dikshit is an outsider herself.

In fact, Delhi is the city of outsiders only.

Karol Bagh, Rajendra Nagar, South Delhi, most of these areas were populated by people coming in after the 1947 partition.

Are the Punjabis not outisders in Delhi?

Are the Bengalis not?

Are the Tamils not?

Seriously who in Delhi is not an outsider?

Its something like the Hongkonger Vs Mainlander in HK eventhough both are Hans.

Its something like the Hongkonger Vs Mainlander in HK eventhough both are Hans.

I am Delhi born and honestly man; Delhi is not even close to Hong Kong. Even my home city Gangtok is cleaner than Delhi! I love both cities equally but feel sad for Delhi due to a pathetic government (Congress) ruining the beautiful city that has so much potential.

I am Delhi born and honestly man; Delhi is not even close to Hong Kong. Even my home city Gangtok is cleaner than Delhi! I love both cities equally but feel sad for Delhi due to a pathetic government (Congress) ruining the beautiful city that has so much potential.

I was referring to the identity and sense of belonging. While some treat Delhi as their home, some are just treating it as a transit point or a place to make some money(like migrant labors) or in otherwords some are more Delhities than other.

i could compare the situation with pakistan where women have no rights at all.

No rights at all yet the fashion industry (female dominated) in Pakistan thrives, yet Pakistan has more females in the parliament than India. Yet recently India ranked well below Pakistan in rights for women. Yet our FM is a female. I can go on and on but that would wake you up from your wet dream.

No rights at all yet the fashion industry (female dominated) in Pakistan thrives, yet Pakistan has more females in the parliament than India. Yet recently India ranked well below Pakistan in rights for women. Yet our FM is a female. I can go on and on but that would wake you up from your wet dream.

Good to know but that didn't gloss over the fact that Pakistan is the 3rd most dangerous country for women

According to a survey released in June 2011 by Thomson Reuters Foundation’s TrustLaw, (which describes itself as a global hub for free legal assistance and news and information on good governance and women’s rights), Pakistan is the world’s third most dangerous country for women after Afghanistan and the Democratic Republic of Congo, with 90 percent of women suffering domestic violence. Other forms of physical abuse are also common, states the report, based on assessments by gender experts.

Suffering in silence | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

mate what i just know that a lot of girls from pakistan come to India to get married and not other way around ! doesn't that explain something ?

mate what i just know that a lot of girls from pakistan come to India to get married and not other way around ! doesn't that explain something ?

Now some Pakistani will come up with how tall & fair Pakistanis are..

Huh?

Do you have proof for that. Why would they go to india out of all places to get married? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom