What's new

‘Cousin marriage’ doubles gene risk for babies: Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cousin marriages are disgusting practise. How can anyone see another person as a s3x partner with whom they have spent the childhood with. Often cousins are the first best friends. They understand you better than anyone else when you are kids..

Cousin marriages are sick and disgusting. Its not an exclusive western concept. Chinese don't do it. Even the jungle tribes of africa or native people of America don't do it...

Can you explain WHY is it disgusting to you if someone else marries of their own choice?

By that logic Pakistan should have the worlds biggest population of genetically defect people- is it so?-

Sir,

Pakistan does have the world's biggest population of genetically defective people---the mental capabilities kind of genetic defects.

I thought that was obvious as the son shines bright on a clear day without clouds.

Cousin marriages are disgusting practise. How can anyone see another person as a s3x partner with whom they have spent the childhood with. Often cousins are the first best friends. They understand you better than anyone else when you are kids..

Hi,

You gave the obvious reason of marriage in your comments---the last lines. I have come across a lots of colleagues here in the u s who married their school sweetheart.

In Brahmin, there is a system called gotra. Brahnin can not marry in his own Gotra. So no possibility of forefathers being same even before 50 generations. May be that is why they are very intelligent.

Its not conclusive and there isn't any hard coded rule for this abnormality in genes as a result of cousin marriage. In my family there are lots of couples who were cousins and their children are normal. On the other hand, a couple have 2 normal child and one abnormal (the eldest one) and doctors say its because of cousin marriage. So the chances are very low and it only happens rarely.

Some Indian hindus need to hold their tongue here. Sure cousin marriages or same clan marriages might be disgusting or forbidden acts as per scriptures of Hinduism but its not considered disgusting or incest according to Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism etc because cousins are not included in the lists of those whom you cannot marry. Btw Darwin and Einstein also married to their cosuins :D

Well arranged marriege is disgusting to me.(some did not like me saying that in love vs arrage marriage thread) Even though majority people who I know got married that way. As long as I dont specifically point finger at somebody, one should not take offence.
Why you consider arrange marriages as disgusting act or you confusing arrange marriages with forced marriages ?

Boy and girl give their consent in arrange marriges ..Its just that they dont want to go for hassle of dating and sleeping together to discover who is Mr/Mrs rights and i think arrange marriage is good option for shy/quiet type guy or girls :D

I think thats the case for most of north india

Among Hindus, people with common surnames mostly don't have same clan names. Having different Clan names is important in case of marriages.

Hi,

You gave the obvious reason of marriage in your comments---the last lines. I have come across a lots of colleagues here in the u s who married their school sweetheart.

Cousin marriages are often love marriages as well these days in the urban areas at least and nothing to do with keeping the wealth in the family. Since interaction between cousins is more than random women off the streets, its an obvious end. The trend would decline as society opens up more.

I think the Indians here who are going on and on about cousin marriage being disgusting are being pretty hypocritical frankly. Yes, its not allowed. Yes its culturally incongruent for us. Yes its good science. But disgusting? Please man. There are a TON of Hindu and Sikh Indians who make out with their cousins. Make out = sexual intercourse. It goes on all the time. Everywhere. Lets not be sanctimonious just because we want to rub the faces of our neighbors here. :)

Just to put things in perspective.... for Hindus of south India, cross-cousin marriages are part of the social norm for the last few millennia. Parallel cousins and those parallel to your parallel cousins are all equivalent to one's own siblings. Cross cousins are not considered siblings in this part of the country .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom