What's new

Country to achieve $20 billion forex reserves mark soon: Dar

Blue Marlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ISLAMABAD: Finance Minister Ishaq Dar said on Friday that Pakistan will achieve a forex reserve of $20 billion in the next few weeks. The finance minister made the announcement while addressing an Independence Day ceremony at Benazir Income Support Programme (BISP) headquarters.

“Our forex reserves are close to $19 billion, and we will achieve the mark of $20 billion in a few weeks,” said Dar.

“All international rating agencies now hold Pakistan’s economy in high esteem. Our economy is stable and now we are embarking on a journey towards growth and economic consolidation,” added Dar.

The event was attended by a large number of BISP beneficiaries, diplomats, political personalities, government officials and representatives from national and international organisations.

While talking about BISP, the finance minister said, “I am pleased to see BISP flourish and become the largest social safety net in the country.”

“For the current fiscal year, we have increased BISP’s budget to Rs 102 billion, and have increased the monthly stipend to Rs 1800 which has benefited millions,” elaborated Dar.

“I have directed BISP’s management to make all payments through technology based mechanisms and today more than 94 per cent of the beneficiaries are receiving payments through debit cards, smart cards and mobile phones,” remarked Dar.

He also said that the present government had opened banks to the poor, and financial inclusion has been introduced. The minister also praised BISP’s management for making it an efficient and competent government organisation.

“I would also like to thank our development partners for their continued support and we hope to cooperate with them on all projects that are mutually beneficial,” said Dar while referring to various representatives of international organisations present at the ceremony.

The finance minister also praised the leadership of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on the occasion.

Ishaq Dar also launched BISP Demographic Directory, which profiles beneficiary families based on their economic, social, educational and other dimensions. The directory would help BISP better disburse funds to beneficiaries and would assist in reaching the poorest sub-sections of the society.

Two major events have supported the central bank to improve its reserves. First, low oil prices in the international market helped the country save a substantial amount on account of import bill, and, second, remittances from overseas Pakistanis grew by 16pc year-on-year to $16.63bn during the 11 months through May.

Remittances are now more important than exports growth since the export sector has failed to achieve targets for the last many years despite incentives, including low interest rates on borrowing from banks

This is the area where we need to do more, I think this is a significant milestone but we should try to achieve at-least $50 Billion.

How is forex reseves growing? Our exports are declining so is it because of low oil prices or Pakistanis abroad sending more $$$ back home

ISLAMABAD: Finance Minister Ishaq Dar said on Friday that Pakistan will achieve a forex reserve of $20 billion in the next few weeks. The finance minister made the announcement while addressing an Independence Day ceremony at Benazir Income Support Programme (BISP) headquarters.

“Our forex reserves are close to $19 billion, and

Oh SNAP!!! These guys are way ahead of predictions!!!! The $ 20 billion was supposed to happen between December, 2015 and around the end of Q1, 2016!!!! At this rate, that now means by the end of Q1, you may be looking at $ 22 Billion!!! So by 2018, Pakistan should have around $ 45 - 50 Billion in her savings account, which was predicted to be the case in 2022!!!!

We will be happy when we'll have $100 billion.

How is forex reseves growing? Our exports are declining so is it because of low oil prices or Pakistanis abroad sending more $$$ back home

Neither. Its growing because of the investment coming into Pakistan from foreign investment companies. Which is the BEST thing. The US economy has trillions of foreign investments into it.

The Turks, the Chinese, the Russians and the US companies have started to invest in Pakistan so you'll see these numbers grow. Each time, a new project like Metro bus, a Dam or parts of CPEC start, that means the foreign reserves took a positive hit as the money was sent to Pakistan to support equipment, material, transportation, taxes, vendor and labor payments, etc.

Oh SNAP!!! These guys are way ahead of predictions!!!! The $ 20 billion was supposed to happen between December, 2015 and around the end of Q1, 2016!!!! At this rate, that now means by the end of Q1, you may be looking at $ 22 Billion!!! So by 2018, Pakistan should have around $ 45 - 50 Billion in her savings account, which was predicted to be the case in 2022!!!!
I think it is very optimistic but still im too very hopeful...

Neither. Its growing because of the investment coming into Pakistan from foreign investment companies. Which is the BEST thing. The US economy has trillions of foreign investments into it.

The Turks, the Chinese, the Russians and the US companies have started to invest in Pakistan so you'll see these numbers grow. Each time, a new project like Metro bus, a Dam or parts of CPEC start, that means the foreign reserves took a positive hit as the money was sent to Pakistan to support equipment, material, transportation, taxes, vendor and labor payments, etc.

Im sorry that is totally wrong, there has been minimum if any FDI in Pakistan. All this so-called Forex is nothing but Loaned money.
and the purpose of these loans is not some Mega Project which will make/save billions, its only to pay for our budget deficit and brag look look we have $20b in reserves :angry:

Greece 2.0

Im sorry that is totally wrong, there has been minimum if any FDI in Pakistan. All this so-called Forex is nothing but Loaned money.
and the purpose of these loans is not some Mega Project which will make/save billions, its only to pay for our budget deficit and brag look look we have $20b in reserves :angry:

FDI is foreign direct investment......you realize what it means right? If a country like Turkey or China give a project's share to the government of Pakistan to execute (which then goes to the construction companies, the rod building engineers from the military core of engineers, etc, etc), it is NOT a direct form of investment. In this case, its a secondary channel. :hitwall:

Also, do you have any PROOFS of this being all "LOANED" money? :omghaha: :omghaha:. I would LOVE to see you provide a breakdown of $ 19 billion in savings account, and its breakdown with loan amounts, and bank names.

No bank will loan you the money to keep in your savings account if you have a clue about how banking works!!!

I don't understand, why a country's OWN citizens don't appreciate their OWN country going up in world rankings.

People with your mentality, should tell their rich parents to allow you to invest in the UK so you can live there. IK's half the family is British so you'll feel like home. Nice and clean.

Greece 2.0
I don't know about that, but IMF had said we need to stabilize our rupee, which had rose some 20% in 2013-2014. So to do that, we need heavy forex, thus rupee has been very stable.

I think the target is 22b-25b until 2018. We can't keep borrowing to grow 50 or 100 as others have said. They also need to pay off loans they borrow. So once were near 25, they'll start paying back loans or put money elsewhere.

Forex exchange doesn't define a good state of economy if others things are bad.

FDI is foreign direct investment......you realize what it means right? If a country like Turkey or China give a project's share to the government of Pakistan to execute (which then goes to the construction companies, the rod building engineers from the military core of engineers, etc, etc), it is NOT a direct form of investment. In this case, its a secondary channel. :hitwall:

Also, do you have any PROOFS of this being all "LOANED" money? :omghaha: :omghaha:. I would LOVE to see you provide a breakdown of $ 19 billion in savings account, and its breakdown with loan amounts, and bank names.

No bank will loan you the money to keep in your savings account if you have a clue about how banking works!!!

I don't understand, why a country's OWN citizens don't appreciate their OWN country going up in world rankings.

People with your mentality, should tell their rich parents to allow you to invest in the UK so you can live there. IK's half the family is British so you'll feel like home. Nice and clean.
Sir, the money is loaned.

$7-8b in 2 years doesn't magically appear through tax earnings etc.

That's like 1/4 of our budget.

This is the area where we need to do more, I think this is a significant milestone but we should try to achieve at-least $50 Billion.

Wait till the end of 2018. If some of the large projects start to go live, they'll result in their economic impact like Metro bus or a highway where you collect tolls, or an energy plant that starts to sell the energy after going live.

Plus, the tax net is expanding a lot too. So all these things happening, you might hit that number around the end of 2017 or early 2018 (based on today's data). If the global economy goes down (I HOPE now), obviously, it'll impact everyone and Pakistan too.

Sir, the money is loaned. $7-8b in 2 years doesn't magically appear through tax earnings etc..

Its not loaned money.....the loaned money isn't an "investment", its a "debt". Banks never allow someone (and a country with bad record in this case), to borrow money and keep it in your savings account. That's against the law.

You've received Chinese and Turkish money for certain phases of different projects, like CPEC (China), and for Metro and Waste Management project being run with Turkey's investment.

Pakistan has also privatized a couple of its state owned business with foreign companies and some of those payments have flown in too. I don't have the list in front of me, but JUST one business was privatized for $ 2.5 or $ 2.8 billion.

The 3-4 G spectrum' sold a few months ago, are going to be bringing in their payments in increments too. So overall good traction and confidence building with foreign investors.

Wait till the end of 2018. If some of the large projects start to go live, they'll result in their economic impact like Metro bus or a highway where you collect tolls, or an energy plant that starts to sell the energy after going live. So if that happens, you might hit that number around the end of 2017 or early 2018 (based on today's data). If the global economy goes down (I HOPE now), obviously, it'll impact everyone and Pakistan too.

Its not loaned money.....the loaned money isn't an "investment", its a "debt". Banks never allow someone (and a country with bad record in this case), to borrow money and keep it in your savings account. That's against the law.

You've received Chinese and Turkish money for certain phases of the CPEC projects (China), and for Metro and Waste Management project being run with Turkey's investment. Pakistan has also privatized a couple of its state owned business with foreign companies and some of those payments have flown in too. I don't have the list in front of me, but JUST one business was privatized for $ 2.5 or $ 2.8 billion. The 3-4 G spectrum' sold a few months ago, re going to bring their payments in increments too. So overall good traction and confidence building with foreign investors.
Foreign exchange reserves near all-time high - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

Read please. Those money we get from 3G sale doesn't mean all goes to forex reserve. We have debts and loans to pay, not just all money goes to forex.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom