What's new

Countries that have shown interest in BAFs' modernization program

l-39 trainers are czeck
Well,don't expect any confirmation for Jet orders unil 2015 since were still saving up and hopefully increasing the Budget Gradually to help maintain them. Also I know we have equipment from at least every country on that list(U.S:training,defender boats,cutter-France:Helis-Turkey:Training,Cobras and i heard we got Zipin-Serbia:Noras-Italy:Ottomats-South Korea:A lot of things)But do we have anything from the Czech republicans part from those ww2 era Rifles?

Anyone know if we are getting any Actual CAS aircraft or Actual Attack Helis(Not Armed MI-171SH)??

Hmm...interesting! Though I'd love to see F-16 E/F's :hang2:

We only operate 8 odd MiG-29's. It's nothing significant.

Our air force is still very limited. American warplanes may not be such a bad idea in the long term though.

Being a bit reluctant to say this out loud, but perhaps we can help the US in establishing some sort of foothold in South Asia? Just a hypothetical question by the way.

Considering the geometry and neighboring countries, I would say F-16E/F would not be a bad idea. However, the price tag for them along with the other operational requirements for the aircraft is really very high for BAF. One critic (don't remember his name, a french guy) once said: "F-16 and other US fighter aircraft are engineering masterpieces. However, they require regular maintenance and super smooth operational capability along with extremely maintained runway". This along with the price tag makes it difficult for a small budget country like Bangladesh to buy and operate them.

On the other hand the same critic said, "Russian fighter aircraft are also engineering masterpieces but they rely on comparatively more rugged systems. They are like flying tank. They can operate from almost any runway and does not always require all those support you need for US fighters." This makes the Russian fighter aircraft the ideal for Bangladesh.

i know they hv good low-tech solutions for ground and air-defense but how can Serbians help regarding to Air-force modernization? they don't have a recognized aerospace industry as far as i know....Mi-35Ms would be a good choice for Bangladesh, anti-armor plus anti-piracy/smuggler ops :)

Seriously you should read the article that is quoted in this topic. Serbia is mentioned in this sentence:

The Czech Republic, Italy, Serbia, South Korea and Turkey also contacted Bangladesh authorities for formal negotiations on separate arms purchase deals.

Where do you see that Serbia is offering anything to Bangladesh air force or air defence? These mentioned countries are interested in Bangladesh Armed Forces modernization, and that includes many things that are not part of air force or air defence, such as Nora B 52 and BOV M11 already sold to Bangladesh.

159270_85836937_IMG_0921.jpg

Article on which this topic is based on is not focused on Bangladesh Air Force modernization, it's focused on Bangladesh Armed Forces modernization program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the geometry and neighboring countries, I would say F-16E/F would not be a bad idea. However, the price tag for them along with the other operational requirements for the aircraft is really very high for BAF. One critic (don't remember his name, a french guy) once said: "F-16 and other US fighter aircraft are engineering masterpieces. However, they require regular maintenance and super smooth operational capability along with extremely maintained runway". This along with the price tag makes it difficult for a small budget country like Bangladesh to buy and operate them.

On the other hand the same critic said, "Russian fighter aircraft are also engineering masterpieces but they rely on comparatively more rugged systems. They are like flying tank. They can operate from almost any runway and does not always require all those support you need for US fighters." This makes the Russian fighter aircraft the ideal for Bangladesh.

Those are the general characteristics of US and Russian aircraft.

Many Middle Eastern nations like Israel, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE and a bunch of others use American aircraft without any problem. And that in a harsh terrain.

The only problem with the Russians is that they cannot always deliver needed parts and spares on time. Their logistics aren't as good as the Americans.

The Americans on the other hand always deliver them on time. That's why they are the number one arms exporter in the world.

Money is not everything. What matters is the outcome. And in a war, and given that Bangladesh is a small country, efficient logistics is necessary.

Another thing: Russian R-27 BVR missiles are garbage. Their radar guided R-77's are better however.

American AMRAAM missiles are by far the best and most proven in the world. But, I'm not sure if they'd be ready to offer us that piece of technology early on. It's unlikely, especially in this part of the world with China around. AMRAAM's are also extremely expensive. Malaysia still didn't get their hands on AMRAAM's for their F-18's. But Thailand and Pakistan do use them on their F-16's. Interestingly, Pakistan was the very first nation in Asia to acquire air-to-ground laser-guided munitions from the US.

So I guess BAF simply need to weigh their options carefully. But honestly, I do not think these complex procurement cannot go smoothly given the nature of Bangladesh's politics. Our foreign ministry is a complete joke.

very promising thread..... I expected it to go on, as things are still moving....

those who don't know, BAF uses Czech GCA radar systems at at least two of their air bases.... the new Cox's Bazar air base probably already got those or in the process of getting those.... as two air bases already operate Czech radars, its more than a small probability that the same radar systems would be picked for Cox....

a. the French delivered the Eurocopters to the Army which we know....
b. the Italians delivered Otomats earlier and Agustas later to the BN, which we also know..... Italians were approached for subs, but the deal didn't go through....
c. Belarus is most probably providing us with a massive value.... the highest tech items would probably come from Belarus, hence, all those non-disclosure clauses in the agreement.... these probably involve setting up the air defence system..... this is probably the most significant deal outside the Chinese and Russian deals..... have dug up a few stuff, don't wanna discuss those in the open....
d. American C-130s are yet to arrive.... the $180 million deal would probably have much more than 4 old aircraft + 20 engines.... the 1 (possibly two) USCG cutters are added to the $180m.... BN paid $8.8m for the cost of training, refitting and installation of some key equipment on board the BNS Somudro Joy.....
e. Serbia already discussed above....
f. the Germans are not listed there..... but they delivered the Do-228NGs to BN..... the Germans were also approached for subs, though that also failed.....
g. Turkey and South Korea..... apart from training (we have training agreement with Turkey since 2002), don't know of significant hardware so far.... possible sub base construction assistance?.... perhaps someone else can enlighten....

this is significant business to a significant number of defence contractors, with a lot more coming!

Really? Please name 1 key piece of equipment bought from India, since independence (the last time they offered anything was to overhaul-upgrade our migs, that was rejected by the BAF). I have lived at Falcon Tower from 2004 -2008 and often asked BAF relatives why they never buy indian equipment, they always laughed and always had the same answer, never gonna happen, the armed forces consider india a potential threat and would never consider purchasing any KEY equipment from them. I asked the same question ages ago to rear admiral m h khan, at Portsmouth, when we visited a old British frigate Bangladesh just bought. Bahia just laughed and said, this was not possible, none of the services would ever buy systems from India. I doubt anything has changed, please enlighten me on anything that we have bought from India, since independence.

As for Israel, we do not recognise the state, and consider the "entity" as an enemy of Bangladesh, so no chance of ever buying anything least of all weapons.

The USAs primary objectives are two fold, reduce Chinese influence and expand the counter terrorism capability of the Bangladesh armed forces to fight what the US perceives to be Islamic fundamentalism, hence their limited assistance. Provision of training, support, some small arms / marine equip and help setting up the SWADS in line with their SEALS.

So no Bangladesh will not buy any equipment from India in the foreseeable future. Whether it has Israeli sourced equip on board or not.
Just like India won't buy peice of Chinese weapon even if it is advanced and cost effective. National security is always on the top priority when it comes to weapon procrement.

India has shown interest and and offered arms but im not sure what and i seriously doubt india would offer us HAL tejas or Arjun Tanks.
There are some news articles about it and recently like 2013(I'll try and look for them) and most of them do state a possibility of procurement of arms but again since China and russia are our main suppliers,don't expect a procurement deal of something like 300 million dollars. Also we don't have any such policy of not procuring from enemy states just don't get anything from Israel or anything with Israeli Tech in it.However with that said, Indian weapons do have some israeli tech in it.
The USA,just said,have been trying to get in but again their arms are either far too advanced or too expensive. All i know is that they offer more advanced training than china and russia and have given about 16 defender boats and about 20 metal sharks and 2 WHECs. Jarvis and one is said to be given in 2014 according to Habib. However im sure when our economy is a lot bigger than now,im sure they will start offering a bit more.
Jesus Christ ,are you serious man? no one would even has a glance at LCA and Arjun. Those are expensive toy Indian use to fulfill its fragile vanity.
Even IAF won't buy a peice of it if it were not for Indian goverment request. You guys should serious consider J10A/B.

Jesus Christ ,are you serious man? no one would even has a glance at LCA and Arjun. Those are expensive toy Indian use to fulfill its fragile vanity.
Even IAF won't buy a peice of it if it were not for Indian goverment request. You guys should serious consider J10A/B.

J10B would be great for Bangladesh. I just saw the J10B mass production thread.

It is highly unlikely that Bangladesh will buy any military hardware from India, even when they start making something that actually works.

Relax. Where in my post did i say we should go for them?they are way too expensive for us and impractical for our needs. However to say that India has never given us something is wrong. They may have given small gifts but it still counts.

J-10 has not been given the export approval, even Pakistan still hasn't got one accodoring to China.
However there has been no actual agreement on which Aircraft to Purchase.

Relax. Where in my post did i say we should go for them?they are way too expensive for us and impractical for our needs. However to say that India has never given us something is wrong. They may have given small gifts but it still counts.

J-10 has not been given the export approval, even Pakistan still hasn't got one accodoring to China.
However there has been no actual agreement on which Aircraft to Purchase.

Can you list what military hardware we bought from India?

Back
Top Bottom