What's new

Countdown to launch India’s own GPS begins

IRNSS+Deployment.jpg
2038364310514567a00ce99.jpg
IRNSSSatISRO700.jpg

precision for military use will not be available in public domain only conjectures. No projections about expanding the area any time soon, but augmentation of the system will be done by launching four backup sats by 2020, i.e., by 2020, IRNSS will consists of 11 sats.

But the coverage area can be increased, it will not require any new technology right..just more sats? Even if the non-civilian accuracy is not available for public consumption..will it be comparable to GPS's M-code?

Its not about comparing signals, but how one can use redundant positioning output of the two systems (GPS and glonass) to make better informed decision about the position. A number of algorithms can be developed for making such better informed decisions. In extreme scenarios, when one system is not available due to the sat coverage etc, the output from the other system can still be used to predict the position.

I think we are on different pages here..You are right in general..But i was on about how Ground reference stations work..They dont compare different systems,they only calculate error in position for whatever system they are working with,be it GPS,GLONASS or some other..then transmit a correction signal to the receivers,whcich they apply to the position they are getting from satellites and get a better position accuracy..
Cross referencing different satellite signals is a function of on chip algorithms as you mentioned,and is done in s the receiver only..For that no help from Ground reference stations is needed...Unless India writes such an on chip software....
Is that what you are saying?

That information will not be available in the public domain.

Ballistic missiles rarely use GPS,and more reliant on INS and cross referencing with star sighting when they are up there...
A device takes a picture of stars and compares it with on-board almanacs and generates a course/altitude correction ..
But again..its a matter of writing a software and integrating it into the missile...and the missile will take reference from satellites...

But the coverage area can be increased, it will not require any new technology right..just more sats? Even if the non-civilian accuracy is not available for public consumption..will it be comparable to GPS's M-code?

Military uses entirely different type of receivers and for that reason that's a different technology compared to civilian receivers...

I think we are on different pages here..You are right in general..But i was on about how Ground reference stations work..They dont compare different systems,they only calculate error in position for whatever system they are working with,be it GPS,GLONASS or some other..then transmit a correction signal to the receivers,whcich they apply to the position they are getting from satellites and get a better position accuracy..
Cross referencing different satellite signals is a function of on chip algorithms as you mentioned,and is done in s the receiver only..For that no help from Ground reference stations is needed...Unless India writes such an on chip software....
Is that what you are saying?

Ballistic missiles rarely use GPS,and more reliant on INS and cross referencing with star sighting when they are up there...
A device takes a picture of stars and compares it with on-board almanacs and generates a course/altitude correction ..
But again..its a matter of writing a software and integrating it into the missile...and the missile will take reference from satellites...

Military uses entirely different type of receivers and for that reason that's a different technology compared to civilian receivers...

Sir, again..the receivers required for military use are well within our reach and already available. I am NOT referring to that..I am simply referring to our ability to increase the coverage area and as to what sort of projected accuracy we will be dealing with.

India’s own GPS soon

Scientists are eagerly awaiting the March 9 launch of IRNSS-1D, the fourth Indian regional navigation satellite.

The Rs. 1,400-crore-plus IRNSS (Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System) has been called ‘India’s own GPS.’ It can do all that we do with GPS, a U.S. military system, but apparently much better and at a local level.

This satellite will complete more than half of the ambitious ‘Indian GPS’ ring over the subcontinent and allow ISRO’s sat-nav team to prove its usefulness in location-based applications.

Four satellites out of the constellation of seven are said to be the minimum the scientists need to check out signals and accuracy.

S.K. Shivakumar, Director of ISRO Satellite Centre in Bengaluru, told The Hindu that IRNSS-1D would finetune the details being provided by its earlier three siblings. The next three navigation satellites, he said, would take this to the targeted precision levels and make it easy to pinpoint required positions for many users.

IRNSS-1D is slated to be put on the PSLV launcher on February 28 at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota. The first one, IRNSS-1A, was launched in July 2013.

A.S. Ganeshan, ISRO’s SatNav Programme Director at ISAC, said, “This is a significant milestone. For the first time we will be able to demonstrate or give proof of concept of the regional navigation system.”

India’s own GPS soon - The Hindu

Hii Hongwu, How was your noodle doodle today?

Seriously?

When others mock you by talking about curry it is racist, yet it's fine for you guys to insult us by talking about noodles? :lol:

I hope you realize that NE Indians also eat noodles? Why don't you go to Manipur and insult them by using the word noodles, see if they let you come back alive? :P

Seriously?

When others mock you by talking about curry it is racist, yet it's fine for you guys to insult us by talking about noodles? :lol:

I hope you realize that NE Indians also eat noodles? Why don't you go to Manipur and insult them by using the word noodles, see if they let you come back alive? :P

Well, i eat noodles as well.

Now you replied to a troll a post which was posted against a pathetic troll after 2 years.

I was not expecting at all from a Think Tank.

Well, i eat noodles as well.

Now you replied to a troll a post which was posted against a pathetic troll after 2 years.

I was not expecting at all from a Think Tank.

No check the dates, it was "PARIKRAMA" who resurrected this thread to post something relevant.

I on the other hand was posting against your racism against Chinese. The irony is you guys always cry racism when Westerners call you "curryheads" yet you are fine doing the same against Chinese except with noodles!

Like I said, go and try it on NE Indians in Manipur in your own country and see how much blood you lose?

And all that other guy said is "It will be a long countdown", there was no reason for you to respond with racism.

No check the dates, it was "PARIKRAMA" who resurrected this thread to post something relevant.

I on the other hand was posting against your racism against Chinese. The irony is you guys always cry racism when Westerners call you "curryheads" yet you are fine doing the same against Chinese except with noodles!

Like I said, go and try it on NE Indians in Manipur in your own country and see how much blood you lose?

And all that other guy said is "It will be a long countdown", there was no reason for you to respond with racism.

I already mentioned why I said that to HongWu.

You are not newbie so don't behave like one. He was one of the most pathetic troll ever on PDF.

Seriously?

If his remark is racist then I apologize on his behalf, but we know honourable Hong Wu ji dont miss a chance to troll on indian threads, so he needs to be checked by some means, barring above one, if it is racist.

Back
Top Bottom