What's new

Countdown to launch India’s own GPS begins

The thing is once you have your own satellite constellation up in the space the usage is bound only by imagination and how much the country can develop Software and hardware for various applications of the system..

As a food for thought..GPS and Beidou both are being used for weather Forecast by a process called
Radio occultation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now who could guess satellites could be used this way???

ISRO already has RO payloads on dedicated weather sats like Oceansat & Meghatropiques.

yurg.jpg

ISRO already has RO payloads on dedicated weather sats like Oceansat & Meghatropiques.

yurg.jpg

What kind of precision are we likely to see when it comes to the military P(Y)/M- code?

Any projections for expanding the area covered in the future?

Yes i read that part ...
It doesn't say the system will enhance IRNSS signal too..It will only enhance GPS signal and GLONASS...

@Dreamreaper

But it certainly tells you that India also has technology by which we can receive GPS, GLONASS and GAGAN signals by a single chip.

You were earlier boasting of chinese new chip.

Last edited by a moderator:
After this system gets operational, there will be no need for military-specific precision
encryption codes (Py-codes) relayed by GLONASS-K constellation

It's gonna be good for all cruise missiles and satellite-guided weapons of us.

off-coarse

and FGFA can use IRNSS signals instead of GLONASS signals

@sancho> Your opinion is welcomed

off-coarse

and FGFA can use IRNSS signals instead of GLONASS signals

@sancho> Your opinion is welcomed

Needs to be seen, we have JVs with the Russians wrt to GLONASS afaik, so it's likely that they will use the same system on Pak Fa and FGFA. It will depend on the success of our system, since it's pretty new too.

interesting...i didnt know that..
Another implication of this system is ionospheric interference pattern study and corrections applied to IRNSS signal
http://www.oosa.unvienna.org/pdf/icg/2011/icg-6/wgB/6.pdf

What kind of precision are we likely to see when it comes to the military P(Y)/M- code?

Military signal from GLONASS has an anti jamming system...
A civilian Navigation system no matter how accurate,is prone to jamming in a conflict..
But nothing stops india to find a way around it...

interesting...i didnt know that..
Another implication of this system is ionospheric interference pattern study and corrections applied to IRNSS signal
http://www.oosa.unvienna.org/pdf/icg/2011/icg-6/wgB/6.pdf

Military signal from GLONASS has an anti jamming system...
A civilian Navigation system no matter how accurate,is prone to jamming in a conflict..
But nothing stops india to find a way around it...

IRNSS has been made keeping the military aspect in mind. So jamming isn't really going to be the concern.

But this system will not be of much use by say a true Blue water navy, which the IN is rushing towards becoming since the limitation in the area covered. This bit concerns me.

Can the range of the system be further increased by adding more satellites to the constellation?

IRNSS_COVERAGE.png

It doesn't enhance signals. what it does is, improves the position accuracy by reading out from 3 different signals. SO in the scenario where the receiver is not getting optimal signal strengthen, it can still accurately predict the position by using error corrections based on 3 different signals.

I used wrong terminology ... instead of singnal enhance..I should have written accuracy enhance..

About the rest of your comment...no The system works in a totally different way...
GPS augmentation has nothing to do with signal comparison..
it was called differential GPS in the past...
captain poop eye will know a bit about it....ask him..

Needs to be seen, we have JVs with the Russians wrt to GLONASS afaik, so it's likely that they will use the same system on Pak Fa and FGFA. It will depend on the success of our system, since it's pretty new too.

Assuming success of IRNSS, would it be hard to integrate it/both? Considering all it requires is a chip and a software..

Can the range of the system be further increased by adding more satellites to the constellation?

IRNSS_COVERAGE.png

Yes, but for now it is not in a to do list, or needed.

Assuming success of IRNSS, would it be hard to integrate it/both? Considering all it requires is a chip and a software..

Can't tell, but having an alternative to the western GPS will be important, not sure however if we will go for both, the Russian and the Indian system at once.

Missiles need more accuracy than fighters and ships, how will IRNSS cater to missile delivery systems?

I used wrong terminology ... instead of singnal enhance..I should have written accuracy enhance..

About the rest of your comment...no The system works in a totally different way...
GPS augmentation has nothing to do with signal comparison..
it was called differential GPS in the past...
captain poop eye will know a bit about it....ask him..

Its not about comparing signals, but how one can use redundant positioning output of the two systems (GPS and glonass) to make better informed decision about the position. A number of algorithms can be developed for making such better informed decisions. In extreme scenarios, when one system is not available due to the sat coverage etc, the output from the other system can still be used to predict the position.

Missiles need more accuracy than fighters and ships, how will IRNSS cater to missile delivery systems?

That information will not be available in the public domain.

precision for military use will not be available in public domain only conjectures. No projections about expanding the area any time soon, but augmentation of the system will be done by launching four backup sats by 2020, i.e., by 2020, IRNSS will consists of 11 sats.

Back
Top Bottom