What's new

Could the AWACS works as ground based radar on some conditions?

Anas Ali

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
like scans while its stationed on the air bases !

The power to run the Radar in the AWACS comes from the jet engines in the aircraft. When its grounded the engines do not produce any electricity and power the Radar. So unless you provide massive electric power from the ground based supply, they cannot be used as ground based radars.

Theres a reason why its called AWACS in the first place.

If you are asking if the AWACS radar could transmit on the ground, then yes, ground test transmissions are routine.

But if you are asking: If in the in absence of a dedicated ground based radar station, can an AWACS power up and perform the same duties?

The answer is no. The antenna and its radiation pattern are not designed for ground operations, meaning the system would detect and track targets on the ground as well as it could in the air. No, the system could not.

@gambit is currently USAF have tech which allows them to track and engage targets through AWACS plane sensors, if not then will it be possible in near future because in days of net centric environment it will be force multiplier specially for weaker assets.

@gambit is currently USAF have tech which allows them to track and engage targets through AWACS plane sensors, if not then will it be possible in near future because in days of net centric environment it will be force multiplier specially for weaker assets.
Yes. There are two ways: radar or data guidance.

Radar guidance is when I use target reflections created by the AWACS' radar to take me to my target. I do not transmit my own radar until the last moment.

Data guidance is when I query the AWACS on where is the target and the AWACS respond by telling me: The target is at altitude so-and-so, heading so-and-so, and speed so-and-so. In the old days, that data came from voice instructions. Today, that data transmission is electronics and my own avionics can exploit that information much faster.

We can use both types depending on the environment at the time and the general area. We can use each type independently or both at the same time for better accuracy.

Yes. There are two ways: radar or data guidance.
Radar guidance is when I use target reflections created by the AWACS' radar to take me to my target. I do not transmit my own radar until the last moment.
Data guidance is when I query the AWACS on where is the target and the AWACS respond by telling me: The target is at altitude so-and-so, heading so-and-so, and speed so-and-so. In the old days, that data came from voice instructions. Today, that data transmission is electronics and my own avionics can exploit that information much faster.
We can use both types depending on the environment at the time and the general area. We can use each type independently or both at the same time for better accuracy.

Does it means that when required USAF's weaker assets like F-16s when they face adversaries like Su-30MKIs they can use AWACS not just to find them but to engage them with AMRAAMS?

Does it means that when required USAF's weaker assets like F-16s when they face adversaries like Su-30MKIs they can use AWACS not just to find them but to engage them with AMRAAMS?
Theoretically, yes.

That's another feature of newer generation fighters. They can use the radars of other planes to locate and target their weapons and thus can shutoff their own radars making them more stealthy.

Theoretically, yes.

Thanks for the reply.

The way US have advanced in electronics and the tech they have displayed, it don't look big deal for them to have this kind of tech operational, they just might don't want to publicized it bcoz all other major weapon producing countries may run to get this tech too.

That's another feature of newer generation fighters. They can use the radars of other planes to locate and target their weapons and thus can shutoff their own radars making them more stealthy.

You are right, but I was specifically talking about AWACS which are big and can track target from very long distances. What i mean is AWACS guiding missiles to multiple targets after they were launched from their platforms.

What i mean is AWACS guiding missiles to multiple targets after they were launched from their platforms.

Depends upon the missile used. Some missiles are fire-and-forget and have their own radar. Some need to be tied to a fighter jet's radar for course corrections. I can't see why you couldn't have a missile fired from long range and being updated by AWACS. You could even have the FAF missile only turn on its radar say within the last 5 miles of intercept so it could get a quick accurate peek at the target before being rigoriusly jammed/chaffed.

Depends upon the missile used. Some missiles are fire-and-forget and have their own radar. Some need to be tied to a fighter jet's radar for course corrections. I can't see why you couldn't have a missile fired from long range and being updated by AWACS. You could even have the FAF missile only turn on its radar say within the last 5 miles of intercept so it could get a quick accurate peek at the target before being rigoriusly jammed/chaffed.

Where AMRAAM, Meteor missiles stand as per your above analysis?

AMRAAM have/can:

- Independent radar
- Slaved
- Beamrider

All three modes can be switched by the missile's own logic/decision as situation require.

I'm sure this was kept in mind with the AMRAAM which has its own radar.

The US is now taking a different strategy with dealing with attacking planes. A fleet of perpetually flying drones. If you know the route an enemy most likely will take to attack you instead of trying to rush over to intercept them and play the who has the best stealth/agility/BVR missile why not just mess them up by having a fleet of armed drones circling around 24 hours a day. The drones slow them down and make them waste fuel, ammo, time, and attrition.

This whole drone stuff is a test bed for a 24 hour flying defense force that an enemy has to get through. It won't be 100% effective but it is going to be such a pain and a bit of a psychological hit as what pilot wants to go up against a fleet of robots who have no qualms about what they may have to do to ruin your day.

Back
Top Bottom