What's new

Could Battleships Make A Come Back?

C130

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
My thinking is with the advent of laser weapons,rail guns, and long range rocket assisted projectiles the platform of a battleship makes the most sense.

now I know what you are thinking battleships are just big fat targets for aircraft,submarines, and anti ship missiles...but the technology to counter these threats already exist and could be retrofitted to a battleship.

this is what I think would make a decent battleship for the 21st century.

total displacement=60,000 tons
ML 41 VLS= 2x61 for 122 cells=mixture of SM-3,SM-6,ESSM,Tomahawk,ASROC
Long Range Anti Ship Missile=8
Naval Strike Missile=24
laser weapon= 2x 200KW+
railgun= 4 for surface and airdefense
AGS= 8 or 9 310mm projectile 250km to 400km for surface bombarment
Goalkeeper CIWS= dual 30mm x2

Fire scout drones

sensors
the best

can be nuclear or conventional in propulsion speed would have to be 26 to 32knts

Last edited:
Would love to see them make a come back ,the firepower these monster hold is massive.Add modern weapons to it and a single warship would be able to flatten a mid sized city.

Doesn't seem cost effective.

Ships are expensive, anti-ship missiles are cheap.

I don't think any navy in the world is currently going in the direction of reviving battleships, as far as I know.

Doesn't seem cost effective.

Ships are expensive, anti-ship missiles are cheap.

I don't think any navy in the world is currently going in the direction of reviving battleships, as far as I know.
if it's a 2 billion to build and another billion to arm that doesn't seem so bad.. it would have plenty of firepower to swat down swarms of anti ship missiles.

correct me a wrong, but could a subsonic missile penetrate 12 inches of armor belt on a battle ship?? it's not like a shape charged explosion that cuts through armor like butter.

I like the concept better than LCS.

if it's a billion a pop to build and another billion to arm that doesn't seem so bad.. it would have plenty of firepower to swat down swarms of anti ship missiles.

correct me a wrong, but could a subsonic missile penetrate 12 inches of armor belt on a battle ship?? it's not like a shape charged explosion that cuts through armor like butter.

I like the concept better than LCS.

Well the defensive systems would have to have an incredibly high success rate for such a thing to be cost effective.

Or the costs of building such a ship would need to drop dramatically.

Back
Top Bottom