What's new

Coronavirus: Islamophobia concerns after India mosque outbreak

Amaa'n

STAFF
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Outrage over a Muslim congregation that has sparked a new wave of Covid-19 cases in India has taken an Islamophobic turn.

States across India have traced more than 300 positive cases to the weeks-long event.

And Islamophobic hashtags have been trending on Twitter since the news first broke on Monday.

mosque-vandalised.jpg

"Instead of corona quarantine, we should have hate quarantine," says historian Rana Safvi.

The gathering was by the Tablighi Jamaat, an Islamic missionary movement that is nearly 100 years old. And its global spiritual centre or markaz is in Indian capital Delhi's Nizamuddin area.

The event was held there - and it was attended by thousands of Muslims from India and abroad.

Officials are still scrambling to identify and trace all of those who attended, as well as their secondary contacts.

But the cases that are directly linked to the event have risen steadily through the week, exposing religious fault lines in a sharply polarised country.

Even as details about the congregation emerged on national news, #CoronaJihad, #NizamuddinIdiots, #Covid-786 (a number that carries religious meaning for Mulsims), began trending.

"We need to be secular. Religious groups should not hold congregations thinking religion is its own act of survival," says sociologist Shiv Visvanathan.

Islamophobic memes have also been circulating - one meme, for instance, shows China as the "producer" of the virus, and Muslims as its "distributors".

Officials believe the infection started with the event's foreign attendees, many of whom are preachers - this list included several from Indonesia, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Kyrgyzstan.

Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, a minister in the governing Bharatiya Janata Party, called it a "Talibani crime".

Indian television news, which has often been criticised for its divisive rhetoric, flashed headlines such as "Save the country from Corona Jihad" and "Who is the villain of Nizamuddin?"

The swift communal turn has also unnerved Muslims - especially as it comes on the heels of deadly religious riots in Delhi, and a controversial "anti-Muslim" citizenship law that saw thousands of Indians take to the streets in protest.

Omar Abdullah, the former chief minister of Indian-administered Kashmir, has put out several tweets, condemning the Islamophobic rhetoric.

He also tweeted that while the event's organisers had been "irresponsible in the way they went about things", what they had done was not unique to them.

It's unlikely which specific incident Mr Abdullah was referring to, but there have been many such instances.

Yogi Adityanath, the chief minister of Uttar Pradesh state, attended a busy Hindu celebration a day into the lockdown. And 40,000 people in 20 villages were quarantined in Punjab state after a Covid-19 outbreak was linked to a Sikh preacher who had returned from a trip to Italy and Germany. The man had ignored advice to self-quarantine and visited a large gathering to celebrate a religious festival. And hundreds of thousands celebrated a 10-day harvest festival in Kerala state around the same time the congregation in Delhi was happening.

"It was irresponsible and could have been avoided but there were so many other congregations of other religions which took place. This took place in the middle of Delhi. Why didn't anyone stop it?" Ms Safvi asks.

On 13 March, Delhi's government had banned all gatherings of more than 200 people. So it's unclear how the event continued.

Police in Delhi have now charged the cleric and six other leaders of the mosque for ignoring the government's warnings.

Its organisers say they did suspend it ahead of the lockdown, and asked everyone to leave. But many were forced to stay back as India suspended international and domestic flights, and all other forms of transport.

The government has said it evacuated 2,300 people from the center in Nizamuddin and sent 1,800 of them to various quarantine centres.

Hundreds of them are still being tested in Delhi and other states, suggesting that cases linked to the event could rise further.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52147260

Outrage over a Muslim congregation that has sparked a new wave of Covid-19 cases in India has taken an Islamophobic turn.

States across India have traced more than 300 positive cases to the weeks-long event.

And Islamophobic hashtags have been trending on Twitter since the news first broke on Monday.

mosque-vandalised.jpg

"Instead of corona quarantine, we should have hate quarantine," says historian Rana Safvi.

The gathering was by the Tablighi Jamaat, an Islamic missionary movement that is nearly 100 years old. And its global spiritual centre or markaz is in Indian capital Delhi's Nizamuddin area.

The event was held there - and it was attended by thousands of Muslims from India and abroad.

Officials are still scrambling to identify and trace all of those who attended, as well as their secondary contacts.

But the cases that are directly linked to the event have risen steadily through the week, exposing religious fault lines in a sharply polarised country.

Even as details about the congregation emerged on national news, #CoronaJihad, #NizamuddinIdiots, #Covid-786 (a number that carries religious meaning for Mulsims), began trending.

"We need to be secular. Religious groups should not hold congregations thinking religion is its own act of survival," says sociologist Shiv Visvanathan.

Islamophobic memes have also been circulating - one meme, for instance, shows China as the "producer" of the virus, and Muslims as its "distributors".

Officials believe the infection started with the event's foreign attendees, many of whom are preachers - this list included several from Indonesia, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Kyrgyzstan.

Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, a minister in the governing Bharatiya Janata Party, called it a "Talibani crime".

Indian television news, which has often been criticised for its divisive rhetoric, flashed headlines such as "Save the country from Corona Jihad" and "Who is the villain of Nizamuddin?"

The swift communal turn has also unnerved Muslims - especially as it comes on the heels of deadly religious riots in Delhi, and a controversial "anti-Muslim" citizenship law that saw thousands of Indians take to the streets in protest.

Omar Abdullah, the former chief minister of Indian-administered Kashmir, has put out several tweets, condemning the Islamophobic rhetoric.

He also tweeted that while the event's organisers had been "irresponsible in the way they went about things", what they had done was not unique to them.

It's unlikely which specific incident Mr Abdullah was referring to, but there have been many such instances.

Yogi Adityanath, the chief minister of Uttar Pradesh state, attended a busy Hindu celebration a day into the lockdown. And 40,000 people in 20 villages were quarantined in Punjab state after a Covid-19 outbreak was linked to a Sikh preacher who had returned from a trip to Italy and Germany. The man had ignored advice to self-quarantine and visited a large gathering to celebrate a religious festival. And hundreds of thousands celebrated a 10-day harvest festival in Kerala state around the same time the congregation in Delhi was happening.

"It was irresponsible and could have been avoided but there were so many other congregations of other religions which took place. This took place in the middle of Delhi. Why didn't anyone stop it?" Ms Safvi asks.

On 13 March, Delhi's government had banned all gatherings of more than 200 people. So it's unclear how the event continued.

Police in Delhi have now charged the cleric and six other leaders of the mosque for ignoring the government's warnings.

Its organisers say they did suspend it ahead of the lockdown, and asked everyone to leave. But many were forced to stay back as India suspended international and domestic flights, and all other forms of transport.

The government has said it evacuated 2,300 people from the center in Nizamuddin and sent 1,800 of them to various quarantine centres.

Hundreds of them are still being tested in Delhi and other states, suggesting that cases linked to the event could rise further.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52147260

While what you are saying is disturbing and everyone should unite against vilifying any particular group.
You will have a hard time when Tablighi Jammat turns to act like this:

Sorry saw it on facebook and don't have the link on youtube. Motorway police stopped a lorry to check during lockdown and these ignorant fools were sat in the back herding together.

They are not doing Muslims any favours by being ignorant fools.

While what you are saying is disturbing and everyone should unite against vilifying any particular group.

Sorry saw it on facebook and don't have the link on youtube. Motorway police stopped a lorry to check during lockdown and these ignorant fools were sat in the back herding together.

Both sides have suffered it equally due to few idiots, the problem is getting extremist, thats a cause of concern for everyone

Both sides have suffered it equally due to few idiots, the problem is getting extremist, thats a cause of concern for everyone

You are right but their attitude in current circumstances needs to be checked. They also need to be educated. Unknowingly they are cementing an ideological narrative that needs to be stamped out. Just the tone and manner of the officer who catches them speaks volumes. The video cuts out but I am hoping the office had imparted some choice words:nono: for their misadventure.

That is a big face palm moment. So the idiot decides to wipe his nose/mucus on these notes. Whats to say they are not already contaminated. :hitwall:

I hope natural selection reviews its next victim.

Ohh he thinks, he already has the disease and wants to spread it to others.

Ohh he thinks, he already has the disease and wants to spread it to others.

The post also says "He claims there is no cure for #COVID19 because it is disease sent by Allah to destroy infidels."

So if he already has COVID-19, what is he? An infidel. Some humans (if you can call them that) baffle me.:cuckoo:

Indian media hiding violation of Hindus.

You have these cretins of the same ilk regardless of if you are a Muslim or a Hindu. I just hope one day the general populace in sub-continent can come to terms with the instigators. That could be a pundit, a pastor or an imam trying to sell themselves and their religion at this critical time.

You have these cretins of the same ilk regardless of if you are a Muslim or a Hindu. I just hope one day the general populace in sub-continent can come to terms with the instigators. That could be a pundit, a pastor or an imam trying to sell themselves and their religion at this critical time.

I am only posting this cause you specifically used the word tablighi jammat instead of saying humans should stay home in your first post. So please spare me the lecture. Plz
I can spam here liberals in UK USA around the world doing stupid shit more than tablighi jammat you want to do it I can so please stop your selective targeting.

And before lecturing me first please try to keep boris in lock down who is a confirm case of Coronavirus positive.

Countries where tablighi jammat are active have much less cases than countries which consider them selves much more educated so plz spare me the lecture I beg you.

@Invicta here is a little education for you. Wake up the educated are spreading virus more atleast what numbers say.

India is a land of religious extremist animals, the type of religion doesn't matter much, it is in the gangu genes to be religious extremist maniacs, it is their default state.

What about the beach party goers in spring break? The issue is not a religious one but that of not taking the virus seriously. USA is now the epicenter and it was not spread by Muslims or Tableeghi. This is a world wide pandemic and every age group, demographic and religious group will have done something for its spread so we need to quit looking at it from a sectarian mindset.

I am only posting this cause you specifically used the word tablighi jammat instead of saying humans should stay home in your first post. So please spare me the lecture. Plz
I can spam here liberals in UK USA around the world doing stupid shit more than tablighi jammat you want to do it I can so please stop your selective targeting.

And before lecturing me first please try to keep boris in lock down who is a confirm case of Coronavirus positive.

Countries where tablighi jammat are active have much less cases than countries which consider them selves much more educated so plz spare me the lecture I beg you.

@Invicta here is a little education for you. Wake up the educated are spreading virus more atleast what numbers say.

Seems like you took it too personally. I was referring to earlier posters reference which was religiously biased hence my assertion in one of my earlier post that idiots exists across the broad spectrum of everyday life and one should not just brand a whole group of people because of some idiots.

Yes I pointed out that the gents in the video were from Tablighi Jamaat because that is the truth. If it hurts you and you are unable to fully understand my view, tough luck, I will, as I already am, enjoying you making a fool of yourself.

Boris the buffoon is already in lockdown you don't have to worry about that.
In all honesty I do hope and pray that Pakistan, India etc have less cases because unlike Europe/USA/China the healthcare sector and general health care provision is poor. You should bloat less and may be try showing some courtesy.

As far as the spring break is concerned refer to my earlier statement, there are a lot of idiots in the world far more than what you think there are and some of them decided to go on the beach. :closed:

What about the beach party goers in spring break? The issue is not a religious one but that of not taking the virus seriously. USA is now the epicenter and it was not spread by Muslims or Tableeghi. This is a world wide pandemic and every age group, demographic and religious group will have done something for its spread so we need to quit looking at it from a sectarian mindset.

Kindly refer to post #10 and take your blood pressure medication on time.:hitwall:

Last edited:
Seems like you took it too personally. I was referring to earlier posters reference which was religiously biased hence my assertion in one of my earlier post that idiots exists across the broad spectrum of everyday life and one should not just brand a whole group of people because of some idiots.

Yes I pointed out that the gents in the video were from Tablighi Jamaat because that is the truth. If it hurts you and you are unable to fully understand my view, tough luck, I will, as I already am enjoying you making a fool of yourself.

Boris the buffoon is already in lockdown you don't have to worry about that.
In all honesty I do hope and pray that Pakistan, India etc have less cases because unlike Europe/USA/China the healthcare sector and general health care provision is poor. You should bloat less and may be try showing some courtesy.

As far as the spring break is concerned refer to my earlier statement, there are a lot of idiots in the world far more than what you think there are and some of them decided to go on the beach. :closed:

Kindly refer to post #10 and take your blood pressure medication on time.:hitwall:

I never took it personal but I was talking facts and here let me give you facts from another prospect to make it simpler for you to understand.

Total coronavirus cases around the have crossed 1 million
Cases of tablighi jammat around the world less 1000

Please tell where do more idiots exits.

Hope this will sum it up for you on whole. If you are still not able to comprehend just ping me and will be happy to explain it to you.

Back
Top Bottom