Coronavirus: India 'super spreader' quarantines 40,000 people

Dalit

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
_111445661_whatsubject.jpg

Punjab has 30 confirmed cases of the virus

Indian authorities in the northern state of Punjab have quarantined around 40,000 residents from 20 villages following a Covid-19 outbreak linked to just one man.

The 70-year-old died of coronavirus - a fact found out only after his death.

The man, a preacher, had ignored advice to self quarantine after returning from a trip to Italy and Germany, officials told BBC Punjabi's Arvind Chhabra.

India has 640 confirmed cases of the virus, of which 30 are in Punjab.

However, experts worry that the real number of positive cases could be far higher. India has one of the lowest testing rates in the world, although efforts are under way to ramp up capacity.

There are fears that an outbreak in the country of 1.3 billion people could result in a catastrophe.

The man, identified as Baldev Singh, had visited a large gathering to celebrate the Sikh festival of Hola Mohalla shortly before he died.

The six-day festival attracts around 10,000 people every day.

A week after his death, 19 of his relatives have tested positive.

"So far, we have been able to trace 550 people who came into direct contact with him and the number is growing. We have sealed 15 villages around the area he stayed," a senior official told the BBC.

Another five villages in an adjoining district have also been sealed.

This is not the first time that exposure has resulted in mass quarantining in India.

In Bhilwara, a textile city in the northern state of Rajasthan, there are fears that a group of doctors who were infected by a patient could have spread the disease to hundreds of people.

Seven thousand people in villages neighbouring the city are under home quarantine.

India has also declared a 21-day lockdown, although people are free to go out to buy essential items like food and medicine

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52061915

Last edited:
LOL Good tactic. Stop testing and pretend you are ahead of the rest.

Hindustan is desperate. It has been concealing its numbers. The Western media has been doing a hush hush on India. The real numbers will be staggering. If the US is already the number one country with most infections. India will take over the entire world. No doubt.

The ultra-religious think that their having scored divine points ( by religious preaching, doing rituals etc ) will save them from this virus. Well, Nature is supreme.

Modi is on path of self-destruction. His little scheme to isolate 1+ billion Indians is bound to fail miserably. He was acting like the tough guy of South Asia by playing the number game with Pakistan. Terrible idea.

Modi is on path of self-destruction. His little scheme to isolate 1+ billion Indians is bound to fail miserably. He was acting like the tough guy of South Asia by playing the number game with Pakistan. Terrible idea.

I was talking in a general sense. Let us remember those Tablighi Jamaatis some days ago in Malaysia who were responsible for spreading Corona to other Southeast Asian countries and possibly South Asia too. These religious fanatics need to be punished.

I was talking in a general sense. Let us remember those Tablighi Jamaatis some days ago in Malaysia who were responsible for spreading Corona to other Southeast Asian countries and possibly South Asia too. These religious fanatics need to be punished.

Start with Modi who is the biggest RSS fanatic of all time. LOL at his initial one day PR stunt to lockdown India. Now he had to lockdown India for 21 days. Everyone knows that this too is a political stunt and won't lead to anything. With a population in excess of 1 billion India should lockup for the whole year and pray nothing happens.

They can offer their prayers in MineCraft or Second Life...vigorous religious communities in them

LOL Good tactic. Stop testing and pretend you are ahead of the rest.

that would not help the case if corona related deaths increase, it will automatically reveal the nature of corona spread in india just like iran despite low testing rates.

regards

It is funny you accuse us of gloating when your own media has been gloating day and night about the numbers.

Nobody has any Idea...how bad things going to be...there will be an ACTUAL contraction of the population of both countries in the next two years..you haven't seen anything yet.....at least 10% of regular PDF members won't be here this time next year

Nobody has any Idea...how bad things going to be...there will be an ACTUAL contraction of the population of both countries in the next two years..you haven't seen anything yet.....at least 10% of regular PDF members won't be here this time next year

I do. They are going to as bad as judgement day. What makes you think that you are immune whilst the rest with better health facilities are struggling?

I do. They are going to as bad as judgement day. What makes you think that you are immune whilst the rest with better health facilities are struggling?

I put my chance of surviving this virus at less than 50 percent.....I am just all the time surrounded by too many 50+ and 60+ year olds

Back
Top Bottom