What's new

Featured CoronaVirus in Pakistan - Updates & Discussion

90100197_3879451355413247_2576728709696323584_n.jpg

1890s: The photo shows patients quarantined at a detention center during outbreak of Third Pandemic Plague. It was taken in Karachi which was then a part of British India in 1897. The plague then consumed 10 million lives in India

The plague began in Yunnan(China). Curiously, people of Yunnan consume rodents and it is widely held that the Bubonic plague originated from rodents. It entered India through British ships from Hong Kong. After colonization of India, the British exploited poverty and created indentured labor which was a system of bonded labor. The laborers were forcibly transported to Hong Kong to work for the British opium and manufacturing Industry.

While the plague was in its inception, the British authorities tried to downplay the intensity of the plague lest it affected their international trade. In the process, they kept the ports open for the ships. This led to widespread transmission of plague in India. After the plague spiraled out of control, the British passed Epidemic Diseases Act (1897). This act gave the state the power to do anything and everything. Every colony that was suspected to be infected was forcibly uprooted and thrown in detention centre. Such measures intensified the spread of the plague, particularly among the detainees. The plague consumed the lives of 10 million Indians in those days and 15 million more until it finally abated in 1920.

Via True Indology
Courtesy Mondipa Dey

Lyari Plague Staff and White Washing Party In Karachi

89802207_3855734737784909_879377769123807232_o.jpg

Seth Vishandas Plague Hospital, Karachi
This Bubonic Plague Originated In 1855 In Yunnan , China And Spread Across The World Killing Millions .
The Plague Was Spread From Bombay to Karachi

89772956_3855363317822051_57966326030794752_o.jpg

This bastard claims he was sending his employee to self quarantine in his house whilst exposing hundreds of people on that journey.

Scums these people!

Coronavirus is going to expose a lot of people butt naked ... This is just one such couple.

Why have people not been tested specially those who entered Pakistan during past 3 months?

Why has interior ministry not rounded them up yet?

I will advocate for article 6 on the government if government refuses to impose a curfew in 24 hours.

Positive thing is that growth is linear and not exponential. Lets hope it starts flattening.

View attachment 617096
Its linear because the testing is not being done at a mass scale, once the confirmed cases cross 1000 and a proper lockdown is not initiated then all bets would be off.

It's raining in some of the Pakistani cities today it seems...and Karachi and lahore are cloudy with low temperatures..the coming 2 days don't look bright either...just when people there were hoping for a hot summer

Tales of survivors: How I became Pakistan's first COVID-19 patient

2183876-mask-1585125816.jpg

Representational image. PHOTO: REUTERS

KARACHI: I went to Iran on February 6 on a pilgrimage along with three of my close friends and some other pilgrims. We visited the holy shrines in the cities of Qom, Mashhad and Tehran and returned to Pakistan on Feb 20.

By then, the coronavirus outbreak had hit Qom – and hit it hard. Back in Karachi, I didn’t have any symptoms associated with COVID-19 respiratory disease. No fever, no cough, no shortness of breath, absolutely nothing. Still, I visited a local hospital a day after my return for blood work on the recommendation of our family physician.

The CBC report came out normal – or perfect I should say. Since there was no abnormality, I rejoined the university and attended classes for the next couple of days. A doctor, in the meantime, told me that the novel coronavirus doesn’t show up in blood through simple CBC – and that I need to take a swab test for this purpose.

This is when I started feeling dizziness and weakness. On Feb 25, I had cold sensation in my hands and feet. I also started coughing and feeling nauseated. The symptoms raised a red flag. Interestingly, I didn’t feel shortness of breath until then.

test2-1585125919.jpg

A Reuters file photo of a positive blood sample.

The symptoms were tell-tale. And my dad advised me to consult a doctor immediately. However, the hospital where I have had my CBC didn’t have kits to test me for the novel coronavirus. So, my father took me to Aga Khan Hospital, one of the best hospitals in the city, where I was diagnosed with the COVID-19 disease. That’s how I became the first corona-positive case in Pakistan.

Immediately after my diagnosis, I was sent to the isolation ward where my treatment began. I was diagnosed at an initial stage which is why the mysterious pathogen had not infected my respiratory system.

Medics assuaged my fears. They said the COVID-19 mortality rate is less than 1% and that it causes complications only among the elderly or those with a compromised immune system. “Since the immune system of the young patients is strong, I’ve good chances to recover completely,” one of my doctors told me at the time.

My treatment in the isolation ward was excellent. The doctors and paramedical staff handled me in a highly professional way. I was, however, not allowed to see my family and relatives, which was understandable since the virus is highly contagious. Officials from the World Health Organization also enquired about my case.

I made a swift recovery. They tested me three times to make sure the virus is completely out of my system. And finally the hospital allowed me to go home. Now, I’m feeling very good. Or I shall say I’m feeling perfect.

The sad part of the entire episode was that my personal details were leaked to the media by God knows who, which created a lot of problems for me and my family. My photo was all over the social media and I became a pariah.

Soon after my diagnosis, my entire family was tested for the coronavirus and luckily all of them tested negative. The screening was then extended to my friends who accompanied me on the trip to Iran and also the people who I had interacted with after my return to Pakistan.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2183876/1-tales-survival-became-pakistans-first-covid-19-patient/

I recall seeing this guys personal information online (it may have even been a post on PDF).......and remember saying to myself that releasing his personal information is gonna cause problems for the guy.

Last edited:
Pakistan is working on production of local ventilators: Fawad Chaudhry
SAMAA | Naya Din - Posted: Mar 25, 2020 | Last Updated: 23 mins ago

Fawad-Chaudhry2.jpg

Researchers across Pakistan are working on the production of indigenous ventilators, revealed Federal Minister for Science and Technology Fawad Chaudhry.

“Presently, all ventilators used inside the country are being procured from China by the National Disaster Management Authority,” he said on SAMAA TV’s programme Naya Din on Wednesday.

The total number of these machines at hospitals across the country is 2,200 of which 1,500 are in working condition. “We aim to double this amount to 3,000 for which it is necessary that we produce ventilators ourselves instead of importing them,” the minister said.

A decision regarding the matter will be taken during a meeting of the Pakistan Engineering Council today, he said. “I’m sure that we will be successful in this project,” Chaudhry said.

Separately, scientists and students have been working on developing coronavirus testing kits and hand sanitisers locally. They have been successful in doing so, according to the minister.

“We have been producing hand sanitisers ever since news of a shortage came out,” he said. “More than 1,500 bottles are being produced everyday and we are planning to increase the number to 8,000.”

A 100 millilitre bottle of hand sanitiser costs Rs450.

The National University of Science and Technology has also developed testing kits for COVID-19 locally. “We are waiting for final approvals after which the kits will be introduced in the market,” Chaudhry said.

He pointed that as these kits are cheaper than the imported ones, more people will be tested through them. The kits will cost Rs2,000, a quarter of the price of the ones being imported.

The minister added that a team led by Dr Attaur Rahman was also closely working with the World Health Organisation for the development of an anti-coronavirus vaccine.

https://www.samaa.tv/news/pakistan/...oduction-of-local-ventilators-fawad-chaudhry/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom